Community
Search
Notices
Digital Camera & Photo Editing Discuss digital cameras in this forum. Products, comparisons, usage, tips for getting your rc photos on the web. Software photo editing and touch up tips.

If you need Photoshop help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: If you need Photoshop help...

Anyone here using CS3? Anyone running it with Vista Ultimate?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Geeze, Vista came out yesterday and you have it already???
Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you MInn. My friend just bought vista allready also. I was about to shoot him. Never my microsoft during the first year. The only reason is because 3dstuio maxx supports it. Oh yeah.. back on topic. Well this is not a photoshop question, but maybe i can do it in photoshop. Well what you get when your drinking a miller light and tweaking with adobe illustrator? How bout a picture of a of miller light bottle!! Well I used the new 3d drawing feature from cs2 to get the basic shape and then rotated it. Then i applied a map of an autotrace of the miller light logo to the bottle. While it looks pretty good its really fake because the bottle is just a solid brown color. My question, is there a way i can make the bottle look transparent to add more realism? When you rotate a path you don't have much control of color. What do you suggest?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Geeze, Vista came out yesterday and you have it already???
Mike,
Actually, Vista has been available to corporate clients since November.

Ken
Old 02-02-2007, 02:21 AM
redfox435cat

been using vista for a couple weeks, got snuck a copy. As an OS it is pretty solid, the photo and video inbeded munipulation is really nice. Gaming at this point sucks since there all coded in 32 bit and the video drivers are scars and buggy, that won't change for probably a year while the programmers are being trained to write in 64 bit. As expected the lack of supported drivers will keep many away for a least a few months. The big plus is the huge amount of data that can be manupulated. With XP on this sytem it took 30 min to crunch 10 min of DVR video another 3-7 min to burn it, since the full bandwidth is now utilized it takes about 15 min from camcorder to dvd.
This OS is not going the way of ME. ME wad simply win 98 with usb support and was doomed from the get go. Vista to me run more like a MAC. The good parts of MAC with affordable hardware perks of a PC. The main downfall is the hardware that can fully utilized the OS isn't yet available to the public so I perdict the opion of vista will get the same snear and smear as XP did when it first came out. People tried to run it on older equipment so it was slow as hell and was buggy to begin with and everyone goes by their first impression. I for one like it but am waiting on some drivers
Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 AM
MinnFlyer

rcfury, there is a transparency pallet in Illustrator, try that
Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
bldrums

Hi guys
I am looking for a software program to recolor aircraft schemes for the RealFlight Sim G3.5. I believe it requires the ability to process "targa" files.
That is pretty much all I need the program for. I dont plan to edit photos so I dont need all the bells/whistles for sure. What should I purchase.

Thanks , appreciate any advise
Bill
..............................................>>>> >>>gearUP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>
Old 02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
MinnFlyer

You would be better off asking this in the RC Simulator forum

Photoshop can do what you're looking for, but if that's all you want to do, there's no sense in paying Photoshop's price
Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Mike:

What's up? Long time no talk to!

Marshall
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 AM
MinnFlyer

Hi there Marshal! Staying warm up there? We're supposed to get hit with another foot of snow today
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
marwen1

Ya think! LOL

Now you know why they call this "The Peg"

There is a MOUNTAIN of snow on the west end of the city where ALL of the city brings their truck loads of steet cleaning.

If they didn't lock the area off, everyone would be using it for a local ski hill.
I keep looking for the chairlift installation, but it never happens..

About a month ago, we had almost 30" in 2 days.

HAH! Nothing like the stuff the east coast got though!

Later

Marshall
Old 02-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[link=http://www.gimp.org/]Gimp[/link]
Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
pimptruck

I love photoshop, my beaver looks like a tard without horns

I want a clearer pic for my avatar, how the heck do I d that? because I have to resize the image to 85x77 pixels(looks crappy), then resave it through windows paint(looks even crappier) to upload it. Can I upload a bigger/clearer pic?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:41 AM
MinnFlyer

Can you post the picture in its original size?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Tango Juliet

I have PhotoStudio 5.5 that came with my Canon EOS DSLR. Is it different than the PhotoShop programs you're talking about? I'm an amatuer photographer, but eventually I may take steps toward being a Professional, so I'd like to learn as much as I can about my editing software (beyond the manual).
Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 PM
marwen1

CONGRADULATIONS!

If you, indeed, plan on being a professional photographer --- keep in mind that within the past few decades, photography -- as we know it today, is 100% different from the days of its concept.

A gentlemen named MATHHEW BRADY started this whole thing! ALL kinds of things, systems, processes and what not have come & gone.

In my day, I knew that I was going to be a professional at the ripe age of seven. Yep! Grade two. My school teacher read the class a story about the experiences of a photographer and as they say. "the rest is history!"

My Mother gave me a Brownie Hawkeye, roll film camera that used 620 roll film. It produced 12 - 2.25" x 2.25" or 6 x 6.

Then about two years later she gave me an ANSCO contact printing kit. That was a little box with a plate glass on the top & a light bulb in the base. You went into a DARKROOM, placed a really small sheet of what we called CONTACT PAPER on top of the negative. Closed the lid, turned the light on for a very short period of time, then we had to take --- still in the dARKROOM, that EXPOSED CONTACT SHEET of paper into CHEMICALS. They were (at the time) DEKTOL (for B/W contact pints) or we commonly DEVELOPED the print in (what else) DEVELOPER. From there into a SHORT STOP bath for a few seconds. That was a very diluted ACETIC ACID, & finally we had to immerse that exposed contact sheet into a FIXER. VERY STINKY! This FIXER was a mix of water & SODIUM THIOSULPHATE.

It had to be FIXED for almost 30 - 45 minutes. THEN, you had to WASH (plain running water) for almost an hour.

ALL of these chemicals had to kept at a constant 68Ëš F (20ËšC).

If the DEVELOPER was not at the proper temperature, you had to use a printed scale produced by GREAT YELLOW FATHER (KODAK)

NOW! In order to make an ENLARGEMENT, you needed, something called (what else) and ENLARGER. Basically, the steps are all much the same for each & EVERY print.
IF you ended up with a variety of stains on you final print, the different colour of the stains were indicitive of where the problem came from.

And --- on top of that, I didn't even TOUCH on the DRYING process.

TODAY, you are SO --- LUCKY to have DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY. Shoot it, look at it on the camera or else the computer, and manipulate the image any way you want.

All you have to know is the program to do it in

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP is the industry standard. LEARN, LEARN, LEARN

AGAIN, CONGRADULATIONS on that momentus descision to be a pro

marwen1
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Tango Juliet

Thanks Marwen1 for the history lesson. Yes, we do indeed have it much easier today My first real camera was a Pentax K1000 35mm roll film that I taught myself to use, but never did any darkroom work. There was a class in high school I could've taken, but there just weren't enough hours in my day. (That hasn't changed!)

You'll notice I did say may take steps toward being a pro. The down side of this great digital technology is that the ability for anyone to become a pro is much more easily attainable, and can saturate the market. That's not to say everyone will be, but ...

For now, it's a compliment to my R/C hobby, and because I work at a small airport I have ample full scale subject matter. I've never been paid for my Photos, but I think I've taken some that might be worth $$ to someone. It's definitely a difficult field (aviation photography) to get noticed in.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 PM
marwen1

WEll, you did hit the preverbial nail on the head! However, If you say you CANNOT! GUESS WHAT? YOU WON"T!

On the other hand, capitalize on the niche that you have now. I saw ditgtal coming back about 10 years ago, so I invested heavily intoLARGE FORMAT DIGITAL IMAGING.

You can probably find a 36" plotter online for less than a grand.

24" is not LARGE enough in my books to say that I do LARGE.

In fact, I spoke to a buddy down in Florida that bought a 50" ENCAD for $500.

DIGITAL: at ALL costs, stay 100% with the INKS and the MEDIA of any particular printer you buy.

I'll not say anything more on that for now. It WILL stir up plenty of disagreements.

Nevertheless, BON CHANCE!

marwen1

Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Tango Juliet

If I wanted to try to sell any of the photos I have now or in the future, how would I go about adding a water mark to protect my work, or should I? Is that something I can do with my PhotoStudio 5.5? And short of buying a color printer specifically for photo printing, are there other companies that can take my images from disc and print them to any size I ask for (5x7, 8x10, 24x36, etc.)?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:43 PM
marwen1

FORGET the watermark! I don't care what you do to it, someone will find a way to over ride it.

ONCE you have taken your shot, the very second you take the image, YOU, and you alone, OWN that copyright. There are exceptions to tha rule that I won't go into unlees we need to.

YES, there are companies that can print digital images for you b ut trust me when I tell you, it will be far more worth YOUR while to invest in your OWN printer.

AGAIN, I stress, if you buy a printer, use ONLY their PAPER (media), & their ink! Too many times I have advised this to professional photographers and time & time agin, they come back to me telling me that they just can't get the same quality that I do! WHY? they ask.

That is why companies spent hudreds of thousands of dollars DEVELOPING a system that WORKS for them! DEVIATE from it, and pay the price.

In my early days of digital imaging, I bought an EPSON PHOTO STYLUS printer. I used HP paper and low & behold, after market ink. Within a few HOURS, the blue inks started to bleed into the white border, ruining the print. Then within a matter of as few after market ink cartridges, my colour jets were irreversibly clogged. I had a trade show to do the very following day that happened. As my good luck would have it, I had bought an extended warranty. EPSON took my badly damaged unit and credited me 100% for it and I ended up buying a current model that was (at the time running about $450 (CDN)

This, in no way is meant to be an advertisement for EPSON. I just happen to be using them at that time.

marwen1
Old 03-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Tango Juliet

The more I discuss this with you (and the fact that just this week I've been demoted due to a new partner in the company I work for... Long Story!), the more serious thought I'm giving this as a way to earn income. Can this be a profitable venture? How do I market my product? Who are my customers?

Here are a couple sample pictures (the first I use as my screensaver; the second is my desktop):
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74269.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	646793   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54192.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	646794  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
MinnFlyer

The first thing you need to do is to get the sun behind you to avoid the harsh shadows you're getting.

If that's not possible. at least lighten the shadow areas like these
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25805.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	646965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65013.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	646966  
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Tango Juliet

In the first image, the mid-morning sun was in front of and slightly to the right of the subject. Your enhanced version appears too pixelated for my taste. In the second image, you are correct, the sun was above and behind me. That was unavoidable due to the layout of the flying field and safety considerations. As a matter of taste, I still prefer the original image (and not because it's mine). As a rule, I believe photography is art, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nothing personal
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
marwen1

Hey ther TJ You are 100$ correct, but considar this, The customer is the one that is trying to be satisfied

Marshall
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Tango Juliet

I think if you did a side by side comparison, most people (not professional photographers) would consider my originals more pleasing to look at, more true to life. I used the word "enhanced" before, but "altered" may be a better word, as it doesn't imply that it's been changed for the better, just different from the original.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.