Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My Reaction 54 has a little brother!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My Reaction 54 has a little brother!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 05:51 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Reaction 54 has a little brother!

Maidened the R44 yesterday the 15th. All went well. Takeoff was very fast! She required about 6 clicks of down trim and 2 clicks of right aileron. Weather was not ideal with 12-18 MPH wind gusts. Had to take out the down elevator mix at half flap (30 degrees) while full flap (60 degrees) mix was fine. No rolling with flaps either. I'm going to relook at the CG to determine why I'm carrying the down trim. I may need to add more down thrust. Actual flight time as almost 6 minutes with slightly over half (20ozs) of fuel remaining. Most of the flight was at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The Wren has quite a non-linear throttle response so I'm going to look at adding a mix or something to smooth it out. Seems like the last 1/8 throttle stick give 1/3 of the thrust. I have a video put together that I'll be posting soon.

Additional flights should allow fine trimming it into a real nice airplane.

Here's the video!

http://media.putfile.com/Reaction-44-maiden-flight

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Dave! Good to see you had a good maiden flight.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:18 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Dave! Can't wait to see the vid. Sounds like a little rocket!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:35 AM
rcguy!

Link to video posted above! Made some programming changes and added a washer to the front turbine lug to get more down angle on the turbine. Will try again today!

Dave Rigotti.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Terry Holston

Way to go Dave! Good to see you had a good maiden flight.
Terry,
In retrospect..it WAS to windy to fly it....Check out the takeoff....a gust of wind drops the port wing and tries to lift it off early. Man was I busy for a few seconds!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Terry Holston

Busy on the landing too, I see. Or should I say LANDINGSSSSSSSSSSS. LOL Nice job, tho. You can use it again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:25 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Good job Dave. It was a little windy yesterday.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:41 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Congratulations Dave! I'd love a plane with this engine like this. I could not see more than 5 seconds of the video though. Putfile almost never works for me. Thanks for the report maybe pick a nice calm day next time! haha! Kinda tightens everything up, doesn't it!~)? I'm sure you can build a curve to suit you and get the CG and thrust in order.

Joe
Old 04-16-2006, 11:12 AM
rcguy!

Busy on the landing too, I see. Or should I say LANDINGSSSSSSSSSSS. LOL Nice job, tho. You can use it again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terry,
Does that qualify for 5 flights towards my AMA waiver renewal next year? :-))

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2006, 11:13 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Good job Dave. It was a little windy yesterday.
Mark,
WAS planning on waiting for it to die down....Well...you know how that goes!

Seeya at Astabula Jets if not before!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2006, 11:15 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Goekeli

Congratulations Dave! I'd love a plane with this engine like this. I could not see more than 5 seconds of the video though. Putfile almost never works for me. Thanks for the report maybe pick a nice calm day next time! haha! Kinda tightens everything up, doesn't it!~)? I'm sure you can build a curve to suit you and get the CG and thrust in order.

Joe
Joe,
Made some programming changes. Added reverse expo to the throttle to help with the non linear throttle response. More flying today.

Pucker?..."Too Damn busy at the moment!"

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Dave03B

Well done on a successful maiden. I'm still awaiting perfect conditions to maiden my L39.........probably why it's taking so long to take to the air
Old 04-16-2006, 03:45 PM
TommyWatson

Great work Dave,

You are indeed a brave man to do your maiden flight is such windy weather. You must have been very keen to see it fly. I need everything going for me to test fly any model!!. It looks great in the air, you have inspired me to get working on mine. I have had the ribs laser cut and I am assembilng all the other bit ands pieces. I agree about the little wren, Mine does the same in the Savex. I will try the throttle curve option.

Regards

Old 04-16-2006, 06:17 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Great work Dave,

You are indeed a brave man to do your maiden flight is such windy weather. You must have been very keen to see it fly. I need everything going for me to test fly any model!!. It looks great in the air, you have inspired me to get working on mine. I have had the ribs laser cut and I am assembilng all the other bit ands pieces. I agree about the little wren, Mine does the same in the Savex. I will try the throttle curve option.

Regards

Tommy,

Brave? (spelled fool in some circles!) I'll be more patient next time. Things like that you don't soon forget!

Flew 2 more flights today under more likable conditions. Still tweaking the settings. The reverse expo (+ value) on my Futaba Super 9C worked like a charm for the non linear throttle response on the Wren 44 Gold. See other post.

Here's some news....

First flight showed just under 10 minutes ECU time and I had almost 1/2 tank left. Reduced throttle setting for sure..but opened her up a few times too!

Second flight showed 11 minutes 21 seconds on the ECU with almost 1/3 tank left. Again, reduced throttle settings while trimming, BUT..man does she move out under full throttle. Takeoffs in very long grass is @200 feet w/o flaps. Acceleration at start of takeoff is breathtaking!

Control throws are more to my likeing now. Still need to play with aileron differential and flap to elevator mixing. No roll coupling in knife edge. Slight pitch to the outside though. I'm expecting this will mostly disappear with final CG location, thrust angles, elevator trim, etc. Heck I still have 2 open trim functions as a last resort. Prefer to trim the old fashioned way though. Yeah..short of sawing the wing in half to change the dihedral.."AH the good old days!"

More flights on Monday planned.

Dave Rigotti

Old 04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Terry Holston

[quote]ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Terry,
Does that qualify for 5 flights towards my AMA waiver renewal next year? :-))

Dave Rigotti

[/quote

Ha Ha, I don't think so..........But I am sure you already have enough flights logged, Anyhow. I really wasn't gonna say five nice landings. LOL But I did count them.

Ha Ha Just kiddin' as I am sure you know.
(That last sentence was for the ones that don't understand internet humor.)
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM
rcguy!

Terry,
Is the internet funny? :-))

Thanks for the grins!

I still TRY to remember this is only a hobby for me!

Thanks for the pics from Toledo!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Terry Holston

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Terry,

Thanks for the grins!

Dave Rigotti
Free pictures????????? Does that qualify me for a free flight of the Reaction 44 at the next meet????????? LOL
Old 04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Terry,

Thanks for the grins!

Dave Rigotti
Free pictures????????? Does that qualify me for a free flight of the Reaction 44 at the next meet????????? LOL

PM sent

Dave
Old 04-17-2006, 09:37 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Got the video to work Dave! Very nice! Looks like a little hot rod and very different than the R54. I wish I could build!~(*,. Awesome plane!

JOe
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 PM
rcguy!

Joe,
Should have some additional flights on her this Wednesday afternoon. Forecast is for 67F and clear skies. MUCH better video will be shot. I'll have it hosted for download too!

Yup...looks like a pretty fast airplane. I'll probably get the radar gun on it too!

Any guesses on the max diving speed and level max speed? Best guess gets fame only...no fortune!

"Driver carries no cash...flies turbine powered R/C aircraft"

"Oh Yeah!"

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 AM
TommyWatson

I guess not very much if at all, faster than the R54.

I have flown my little Savex L39 at full throttle and it seems much faster than the R54 but these L39's I am sure wont go over 150Mph.

My old 14 pound thrust R54 would only do 155 out of a shallow dive. I think the Reaction shape and thick wing will limit the top speedeven in the smaller size.

Thats just my humble opinion!!.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:13 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

I guess not very much if at all, faster than the R54.

I have flown my little Savex L39 at full throttle and it seems much faster than the R54 but these L39's I am sure wont go over 150Mph.

My old 14 pound thrust R54 would only do 155 out of a shallow dive. I think the Reaction shape and thick wing will limit the top speedeven in the smaller size.

Thats just my humble opinion!!.

Tommy,
I agree with you. At 72% size of the R54 at the same speed will look faster. Lets say the R54 does 140MPH level. If the R44 matches that actual speed it will look like 194MPH. (140 divided by .72).

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 PM
rcguy!

3 more flights today. Getting it sorted out. The engine down thrust is about 2 degrees more than shown on the R54 plans. Pretty neutral now with power or glide. Adjusted the roll rate and elevator throws. Touched up expo too! Gonna play with aileron differntial next outing. Did a spin and it does better than my R54. Recovery is 1/2 turn. Wren Gold 44 autostart is settling in. Starts right up. Positive expo on the throttle channel (+50%) feels perfect to me. Cruise speed it slightly below half stick. Throttle response from it to full power is awesome! Seems like it has an afterburner! All three flights went slightly over 11 minutes on the ECU. 40oz tank still had 1/4 fuel remaining. Flight time set at 7 minutes. Going to extend it to 8 minutes next session.

My jet buddy Russ believes it is much faster than the R54. Forgot the Radar gun tonite! Verticals are near unlimited for my eyes, spectacular!

Had the nose wheel hang up and landed with just the mains. Easy as pie. New jet stuff to work out.

All in all......VERY pleased. Shot some video tonite. Will post soon.

"Starting to have fun with this little jewel!"

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 PM
rcguy!

Folks,
Things are settling in for thr Reaction 44. Control throws are adjusted, thrust angle is good and with 2 hrs on the ECU she is feeling very good! Been very busy with work so I haven't flown her much lately. Weather sucks for the next week so I'll get other projects moved along.

Below is a link to the latest video. Flying buddy Russ is at the controls for his first flight on her. Takeoff roll is a little long and landing was more than a little hot! She takesoff in about 2/3 the distance and lands as slow as its bigger brother.

Flight times are typically 10 to 11 minures with about 1/4 tank remaining for the 40oz. Fuel burn is excellent!

Enjoy the video.

http://media.putfile.com/Reaction-44-from-May-7-2006

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very Nice Dave!!

Jeez, I should have tried to get a CLE overnight in my June bid! The closest I get is PIT for 32 hrs. at the end of June. The '44 looks great......What is all that green stuff all over the runway?

Tailwinds,

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.