Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Building the Ultimate 33% 260 Questions comments and Pictures

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Building the Ultimate 33% 260 Questions comments and Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Dangerous Dan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the Ultimate 33% 260 Questions comments and Pictures

Tom and Bobby I took your advice and cam in on the servo horn and out on the surface. I can't wait to fly this thing, just have to program the radio and tune the engine, I flew the heck out of my 28% this weekend preparing for the Little Rock IMAC next weekens. So it looks like the maiden will be delayed moy 20-21 weekend.

What ya think about the radio/regulator/battery tank etc layout?

Dan
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Dan the bird looks great...have a couple of question's though where did you get the knob's for the wing hold down's that looks like a sweet set up. also what length of links did you use for the ailerons. im trying to get an order together for mine.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Dangerous Dan

The knobs and fuel dot I got from a guy that was posting on the huge Extra 260 pictures thread, I think it was page 4 or 5. He has a lathe at home and custom makes them.

The aileron Pro links are 2 1/2".

I do not need any tools to put this plane together. It balenced perfect with everything where you see it in the pics.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Bobby Folsom

I got mine wing hold downs (same as Dan's) from a fellow up in IL. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my saved emails with his name. He watches this site so maybe he will speak up.

Bobby
Old 05-08-2006, 11:43 AM
aegis

I got mine wing hold downs (same as Dan's) from a fellow up in IL. I'm at work right now and don't have access to my saved emails with his name. He watches this site so maybe he will speak up.
I believe Bobby is talking about Gary Hunt. I got his wing hold downs for my 260 too. His email is [email protected].

Dan
Old 05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Dangerous Dan

That is him

Look at the pics above I really like the smart Fly power expander. It allowed me tp run 18 guage wire and deans conectors from the batteries, to the switches, regulators, then deans plugs into the power expander. It also has a built in regulator for the receiver and filters the signals going to the servos. You do not have to run any y's because it has two to 4 inputs per channel. I can't wait to fly this baby. I will get some more pics of the cowel off later it was a pain running the spark plug leads. let me know what you think.

Dan
Old 05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Dangerous Dan

ORIGINAL: RTK

Looks good Dan, keep us posted on how it flies.
Hey, when are you going to get rid of those training wheels on your bike
Actually my 7yo took the first three pictures, the first one she was too far away and got he bike, dog, and bee hive...LOL

Notice all the leaves in the first pic..They fell in April, not due to a season change we had a hail storm that knocked 1/2 the leaves off the trees. I thought I only had to rake once per year
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
RTK

I could not past that one up, just ribbing ya

Is that trailer large enough to place a good sized plane and accessories in? I am at the verge of needing something, but I don't want one of those large trailers.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

Bobby
I sent him a p.m guys

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Dangerous Dan

ORIGINAL: RTK

I could not past that one up, just ribbing ya

Is that trailer large enough to place a good sized plane and accessories in? I am at the verge of needing something, but I don't want one of those large trailers.
My traler will haul a 35% and 28% plus all accesories. I pull it with a 4 cyl toyota corolla here is a build thread with all the info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3113482

Old 05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
DENNIS C

Guys i have one more question, what width of arm are you using on your pull-pull servo.

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Dangerous Dan

3" SWB Dual Lock

http://www.swbmfg.com/dl_arm.html

Old 05-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Dangerous Dan

The radio is programmed and I started the engine yesterday...All I can say is WOW. This BME 110 is awsome. It poped second flip choke on, and two more flips to start it. It was really Ritch, I am running penzoil aircooled 32-1 for break-in. I leaned it until it was poping once every three seconds or so at full throttle the transistion is awsome and the idle is really smooth and stable. Even with it rich and on its first tank this engine is really strong...I will maiden on Saturday.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:31 AM
DENNIS C

You fly on 100 deg day's []...that's what there calling for this weekend
Old 05-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Dangerous Dan

ORIGINAL: DENNIS C

You fly on 100 deg day's []...that's what there calling for this weekend
Actually I purposly try to fly in adverse conditions as much as perfect conditions. I do not look at the weather before heading to the field. There are only cettian times I can Practice(the wife is at work), and you can never tell what the conditions are going to be like at an IMAC.

I will probably try to make it to the field in the early am on saturday
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
RTK

ORIGINAL: dntmn

The radio is programmed and I started the engine yesterday...All I can say is WOW. This BME 110 is awsome. It poped second flip choke on, and two more flips to start it. It was really Ritch, I am running penzoil aircooled 32-1 for break-in. I leaned it until it was poping once every three seconds or so at full throttle the transistion is awsome and the idle is really smooth and stable. Even with it rich and on its first tank this engine is really strong...I will maiden on Saturday.
If your engine runs as well as mine you will be very pleased, and it sounds like it does. You should have a rocket there
Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Keep us posted! Tony has yet to start mine an account of his give away 260 for JN 06. That BME 110 is sounded sweet indeed! It should be a rocket if it is anything like the BME 110 powered ones flying down here.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Dangerous Dan

Well I did the maiden this weekend and she was awsome. Did not have to adjust trim at all. I set the CG at 3 3/4 but I think that was a little tail heavy for my taste(IMAC). Its nose pitches up when you 1/2 roll on a 45 degree upline and she is really floaty on landing. I added 6oz of weight to the nose but I think it needs more. I will keep adding weight until I like the CG then move things around so I can take the weight off. This plane is a floater into the wind on landing she just wants to keep flying. The BME 110 is awsome. I am running 32/1 rich setting and this engine rips a Mejzlik 28x10, looks like I will switch to a 29x10 or 28x12 after break-in. Verticle is out of site. It was really Windy this weekend so I havn't got a chance to really ring her out or to tune it for precision.

3rd flight I made a little boo-boo. Another Pilot flying a 35% wildhare Giles and I was flying an oval pattern around the field inverted for fun we had been doing this for about 5 minutes. I was 10' high full throttle inverted over the runway and she ran out of fuel. I had to flip her over and make a 180 degree turn to land with the wind. The plane hit the tall grass kind of hard and delaminated the CF gear. I bolted the stock aluminum gear back on and all is well. I will keep the aluminum gear on from now on. I can't wait to get this plane dialed in and see what she can really do.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:04 AM
RTK

I knew you were going to have a sweet set-up. When you are having that much fun time really passes by and so does the fuel
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Bobby Folsom

Way to go Dan. I changed out the stock landing gear for a heavier set that I had from a 35% Carden Edge because I got tired of having to rebend the right side of the gear back into place - even after a "grease job" landing. That stock gear was just too soft.

Bobby
Old 05-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Dangerous Dan

Bobby after 270 plights on my 28% this 260 is really gonna take some getting used to. Hopefully I will have it all trimmed out by the Abiline IMAC. This plane flies really light and shoots up like a rocket at full throttle. I have only ran 2 gallons through the engine and it is ripping a mejzlik 28x10 even with the engine set rich.
I added 6oz to the front of the engine box, but it still seems a little tail heavy. I need to get a calmer day to fly so I can be sure. I flew 8 flights this weekend, but the wind was 15 to 20 and temp was upper 90's. You should see my sunburn....LOL

How does your 260 Hammer. I am having trouble getting a clean hammer, It might be the tail heavy thing.

Also Mine REALLY floats on landing(might be the tail heavy thing again). I slow it down to Idle, get it in ground effect, and touch down gently with really low airspeed. At this point if I breathe on the elevator she will lift up again.

Also I need to rethink the term throttle management, this bird will go out of site in about 5 seconds on an upline at full throttle.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:30 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, there really is such a think as too much power and too light.

TF
Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Dangerous Dan

ORIGINAL: rctom

See, there really is such a think as too much power and too light.

TF
I need some more stick time to say for sure...For the two much power issue, I will likely make a throttle curve that will make my 1/2 throttle level flight and my full throttle uplines the same speed. As for the too light issue..I have placed the stock gear back on and do not plan on going back to the carbon fiber. There is 6 OZ of lead in the nose, but I will probably remove some of this when I move the batteries forward. If absolutly Necessary I will remove the CF Spinner in favor of an aluminum one. The CF spinner is just too purdy. I need a calm day to really check the CG. I think my floating and hammer problem is a tail heavy issue..

This is one awsome plane, I just hope(wife allowing) I get enough time on before Abiline...

Old 05-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Bobby Folsom

Dan, you have found out almost exactly what I found out - you CAN have too much power!!! Yes, you need to adjust the CG and rudder thorw to get a clean hammer and have the plane fly corrrectly besides, I usually got to high rate rudder on the upline when I hammer then flip the rate switch back to low rate on the downline. If you notices, I only did one or two (out of seven tries)really good hammers up in Little Rock. It really takes finesse with throttle and rudder to get a good, clean hammer. Tom's recommended low rate rudder is still a bit much to get a good spin and yet stop just as soon as you let go of the rudder. Otherwise, you'll get at least 1/4 or more overrotation. I think it snaps better anyway with a lower rate rudder. Remember that good spins and hammers are a combination of CG and rudder throw.

If I had to do it all over, I would put a 3W80 on the front instead of my DA 100. The combo that Tom currently recommends and sells as a package would be perfect (ha, that's why Tom is selling it!!).

Bobby
Old 05-22-2006, 04:36 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, an engine about 5 pounds that swings a 26-10 about 6500 rpm is just about right for this plane.

TF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.