Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
johnchu_hk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting up a WALKERA 36 fresh out of the box

good thread for beginners teach people to make

stuff and help thread.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:39 AM
thecheatscalc

seems this thread's quite active now... heh, anyways, I just got back from vacation... and am ready to help!

ok, first, I kinda laugh at being called MR calc hehe ok now about tail spinning, if your gears are fine, belt is fine, then you probably have WAY too much pitch, just adjust that down a tad... (and check the knobs and make sure the right one isn't too far to the right, it should be near the middle)

DON'T touch those switches on the back of your controller! you DO NOT NEED TOO unless a servo is responding in reverse to imputs.

Also, I forgot about my walkera ESC... yes I'd suggest removing it from the heli, removing the foam tape, then re-install with those two BEC's FACING OUTWARD, takes some rearranging but it's not hard to do. (those heat sinks are also a good idea)

PS: I'm getting better every day, recently got the G3 sim and now I can hover, head in, tail, sid in, pretty easily, those circuts however... flips and rolls too on the gassers (no 3D electrics)
Old 08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
jayz7

Hi guys,
Awesome thread. i've got a Walkera 60 and can't seem to figure out the TX settings (the ones with the dip switch settings). The manual is not very clear. I've configured the dip switches (10, 11 and 12) and have turned the knobs to 0. Now my chopper winds up heaps but doesn't really lift off! I think i've totally stuffed the settings up [:@]

Can i please get someone to post their PIT lock and Adjustment, Gyro Sensitivity and Rudder mixing adjustment and Throttle curve and servo exponential function settings? An explanation on what they actually do or how to configure them would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jayz
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
thecheatscalc

actually, you should keep that right knob at middle, you know why? that's the pitch setting, more adjusts the pitch servo up, less, down. the right knob should also be around middle setting, that's throttle/pitch curve, AKA how much pitch is applied per throttle position.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:12 PM
jayz7

Thanks for the prompt response.

Do you mean keep the left and right knobs in the middle when configuring PIT lock and Adjustment, Gyro Sensitivity and Rudder mixing adjustment and Throttle curve and servo exponential function settings? It says in the manual to confgure these settings (by using the the dip switches in the TX) but doesn't say how much.

Thanks
Jayz
Old 08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
evoIX

Hi all , I am in the market to look for a new heli something bigger in size like a walkera 36 which i see is kinda popular with some people dissing it some people praising it. I have scope down my selection to 4 helis , walkera 36 or 60 , honey bee king or honey bee belt-cp

i had a blade cp before this but sold it off because it's too squirelly because of it's weight and size so im looking for something larger in mass to start over again. any ideas?

my question is if you guys would start out all over again , would you still get a walkera 36? or would you go with a honey bee king ? really hope someone can help me out on their experience of the walkera 36 especially those rtf kit from ebay. i know i need to swap out some parts and set up the heli properly but is it worth it down the road? you know with all the parts swapped in to make it a stable bird will it cost as much as a mx400 or x400 kit out there?

thanks a lot
Old 08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
tekNique

If i get a 11.1 volt lipo for a walkera 60, how many cells should it have? does it matter?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 AM
balance_mind

ORIGINAL: tekNique

If i get a 11.1 volt lipo for a walkera 60, how many cells should it have? does it matter?

A typical 11.1V lipo is 3 cell battery. It does matter to provide more power to the heli and the C rating also contributes that.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:56 AM
jw8888

Hi;

I have been seeing that I should balance the heli to get the CG correct. Can some of you gurus share how you will do the balancing?

My heli is nose heavy due to the LiPo in the nose.

Thankd for any help!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Orion1024

What heli do you have? The 36 is tail heavy with all but the heaviest LiPo in it, but it doesn't really seem to effect the heli too much. I just pick up the heli by the flybar when it's straight across (perpendicular to the frame) to determine the balance.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:42 AM
gsk11740

ORIGINAL: Orion1024
I would just keep a stock of 36 parts on hand...they're cheap enough. My theory as to why no local hobby shops carry Walkera stuff is that they can't make enough money on them. Local hobby stores like to carry products they can make a nice juicy profit on...like 50% to 100% profit (for example, a Blade CP for $190). When I was looking at buying my 36, I went into a LHS and the guy was determined to talk me out of buying it...but he was willing to sell me a cheap Shogun setup for $450, though! Real nice, huh?
Yeah, my local hobby shop would love to sell me a T-Rex with all the bling add-ons too. And I'd like to be driving a new Mercedes instead on an old Chevy with 231k miles on it! Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen! Anyway, after reading all the threads I could find on just about every heli out there, I'm pretty much sold on the 36. Seems like a pretty good heli for the price with lots of good upgrades available. Something I can start off with and build up as resources permit. My only question now is where is a good place to get one? Ok, two questions, what "must haves" would everyone recommend to get with the initial purchace?

Gary.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:59 AM
gsk11740

By the way, I just reread my post. I don't mean to imply that the Walkera 36 is an "Old Chevy" compared to a T-Rex. I'm sure they are both good machines. It's just my LHS seems to like to charge a premium price for the T-Rex. Their idea of a basic RTF T-Rex is almost $1200!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 AM
jw8888

Thats a thought. I was thinking of stringing it from the rotor mast.

I suspect that it is nose heavy now due to the LiPo.

I have attached a couple of picts of my 36.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52674.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	511865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71486.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	511866  
Old 08-23-2006, 11:35 AM
balance_mind

ORIGINAL: jw8888

Thats a thought. I was thinking of stringing it from the rotor mast.

I suspect that it is nose heavy now due to the LiPo.

I have attached a couple of picts of my 36.
Hi, nice seeing a fellow country mate having the Walkera

You could tie to the flybar but picking up by your fingers as mentioned by Orion is good enough.

Where you fly?
Old 08-23-2006, 12:09 PM
jw8888

Hey Balance mind!

I have been trying to fly in an open field next to my block in Yishun. So far resulted in one crash [:@]

Where do you do yours?

Would like to meet up and compare notes..
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
balance_mind

ORIGINAL: jw8888

Hey Balance mind!

I have been trying to fly in an open field next to my block in Yishun. So far resulted in one crash [:@]

Where do you do yours?

Would like to meet up and compare notes..
Wow, it's 1:20am and you still in forum... same here hehe

I'm staying in Yishun too. Which part? Can meet up but my heli is still grounded waiting for parts.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Orion1024

Well, I got mine from Modelocity on eBay...everything arrived quickly and in good shape from their store in CA. They also handled a return for a defective LiPo very quickly. That brings me to my next piece of advice...just get the basic 36 with the brushed motor for $140. The one I got was the brushless with 2 LiPos for $210...both LiPos lasted less than a month and the stock brushless motor ain't that great. Overall, I think the 36 is a solid heli and flys super easy. The motor and batteries are the only problems I've had in over two months.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Orion1024

I'm not offended...I've never tried a T-Rex, but I'm sure it's superior to the 36. The real question is "is it 3x better?" - considering it's about 3x the price. As far as that guy trying to sell me a cheap Shogun setup for $450, for that price I would be getting almost the same thing I got with the 36, but for double the money! Both the Shogun and 36 are very similar.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
gsk11740

Well, I got mine from Modelocity on eBay...everything arrived quickly and in good shape from their store in CA. They also handled a return for a defective LiPo very quickly. That brings me to my next piece of advice...just get the basic 36 with the brushed motor for $140. The one I got was the brushless with 2 LiPos for $210...both LiPos lasted less than a month and the stock brushless motor ain't that great. Overall, I think the 36 is a solid heli and flys super easy. The motor and batteries are the only problems I've had in over two months.
$140? That's the best price I've seen so far. Now where did I put that credit card?

I'm not offended...I've never tried a T-Rex, but I'm sure it's superior to the 36. The real question is "is it 3x better?" - considering it's about 3x the price. As far as that guy trying to sell me a cheap Shogun setup for $450, for that price I would be getting almost the same thing I got with the 36, but for double the money! Both the Shogun and 36 are very similar.
Thanks! I do try not to offend anyone or anything but I've got a real talent for putting my foot in my mouth. Just ask my wife. She can't take me anywhere!

As for the T-rex being 3x better, I really can't tell that much difference in most of these birds. Some seem a little "fancier" with the pretty anodized aluminum and carbon fiber parts and such but other than that, they seem about the same mechanically. Eventually, I can make the 36 look the same and probably for less money than some of them. One thing I wonder is do the alloy and CF parts really make them work any better or just look better.

While I was typing this reply, I opened another tab and ordered a new 36. Now I just get to wait. I hate waiting.

Gary.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Orion1024

Sweet! Well, hopefully you'll have as good of luck as I've had with my 36. Check out the forum for the 36, I just posted about some wood blades I tried out that work well and are only $10.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
gsk11740

I'm looking forward to flying it. I guess I should get some spare blades for it, just in case. I'm going to wait on flying the 36 until I get a lot better on the simulator though. I can hover pretty good on the sim with the tail facing me and even fairly well when it's side to me but as soon as I have it nose towards me (what I guess is called nose in), that's when the trouble starts. Things start to get crazy fast and it doesn't take long before the pieces start flying. It's a good thing, these flight sims! A lot cheaper than destroying the real thing. I have a Blade CX and also a CP. I can fly the CX all day, no problem. I wrecked the CP pretty bad the first time out. Don't want to trash the 36!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Orion1024

The 36 is very easy to fly. The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't react half as fast to input as a small heli would. It hovers very nicely, but you need to make sure you don't let it get away from you because it takes awhlie to recover. Also, make sure you fly in 'Normal' mode where the throttle changes as well as the pitch...this is similar to flying a FP. However, even in 'Normal' mode there is negative pitch, so if you let off the throttle too much the heli won't just fall - it'll actually power itself downward!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
jw8888

hey balance;

I am next to the Yishun JC. They have an even larger field in there.

I am still figuring how to hover the heli. Have some hover-phobia after the heli decided to go nose down and fly towards the nearest wall.

BTW, there is a shop at the basement of Fook Hai in town that sells parts for Zap400. Most of the parts are compatible to the 36. So waiting time is vastly reduced. Prices are a bit higher then getting from the net. Got a compatible hardened steel main shaft from them after the previous one bent in the crash for abt SGD6.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 AM
gsk11740

The 36 is very easy to fly. The only thing to watch out for is that it doesn't react half as fast to input as a small heli would.
That might actually be a good thing for me. I tend to over-correct with the CX, CP and simulator. Well, not so much with the CX but I've trashed quite a few sim helis from going into "panic mode".

However, even in 'Normal' mode there is negative pitch, so if you let off the throttle too much the heli won't just fall - it'll actually power itself downward!
Good to know. Thanks! Knowing me, I would have found that one out the hard way. I wonder if there is a way to adjust that out so no throttle = zero pitch. Trim on the throttle stick?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:37 AM
balance_mind

jw8888
find some day we fly together and learn from each other. I see that you have the walkera brushless set-up with stock servos.
Heard that Sembawang S.C also has walkera parts but ex.

gsk11740
Yes you can make it to zero pitch at zero throttle by using a pitch gauge for proper adjustment. Actually the negative pitch can assist you to land your heli down when it's windy. Need that force to bring it down against the wind
I guess other #36 veterans can share with you more.[sm=regular_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.