Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to clean varnish off a glow engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to clean varnish off a glow engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM
airmaster39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have been reading this very long and old post. Sounds like a lot of good information, but I have some questions.

A bit of information: I flew planes for a couple of years, I never cleaned the engines and in 2002 put them in storage. I pulled them out lats week and I want to start flying again. The worst engine is a Magnum GP40 it is gummed up and lots of varnish inside and out. I have them right now soaking in a bag of clean Nitro fuel just to loosen parts up it was hard to spin the prop by hand.

So that antifreeze thing: Antifreeze has changed over the years since this post started. What type would you use today? and i'm sure a stupid question, what do you do with the old antifreeze after your done with it. Do you put it back in the bottle until the next time you need it or where would you take it to dispose of it?

Dawn Power Dissolver: would you use it on the inside on the engine also? of is there a better option to use today.

I also have a new OS 65LA that was mounted but never ran. It has been in storage since 2002 also, I'm sure it had some oil in it when I ordered it.
I want to break it in but should take it apart first to clean any dust that may have gotten inside the motor, or just run some oil in it.

Thank you for any input you can share with me.
Ken

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a big advocate for cleaning glo engines with Dawn Power Dissolver however I have always just used it on the outside. I would think that if you removed the rear cover plate and the carb you would have good access to scrub the inside with the dawn and then be able to do a good job of flushing out all the residue with hot water and drying the inside with your heat gun. Clean the carb separately and then oil up everything and reinstall the carb. For flushing the engine with hot water I use the kitchen sink spray hose with the water pre-run to get the hottest water available (my wife knows that I do this). If you have a test stand I would then mount it up and run it, tune it, and then oil it for storage if you're not installing it right away. On the new old stock 65LA, just make sure there in no trash in the carb inlet, reoil it with lots of oil and fire it up. If it has been stored in the original box it should be fine, don't take it apart. If you're really timid about this, take the back cover off and look in there. Betcha it looks like NEW !
Old 07-20-2015, 06:56 PM
humpmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try some castrol super clean degreaser get at local auto parts store, also simple green! may want to dilute it first and dont get it on the body it will take the paint off if used concentrated, or brake cleaner or carb spray.
internals i would use some diesel, or kerosene, or even the castrol just make sure to polish it all good and then pre- lube before assembly.
that's my 2 cents worth as a 28 year old experienced mechanic! other than that, dip the whole thing in carb cleaner,rinse and re-assemble, with lube of course.
ccccccccyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaa! humpmaster out!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM
airmaster39

Thank you everyone, lots of good information here to try. My engine is almost caramel colored on the outside. The top of the piston is almost black in color. I'm really hoping to get this running good again. It ran really great but towards the end of my flying in 2002 it started running rough.

Thanks again

Ken
Old 07-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

airmaster39, did you try a new glow plug? I had a TT GP42, great little engine but in my rookie flying years, flew the death out of it. Another member noticed it was making a knocking sound at cruise and suggested I check the plug. It was so carbon ed up, it was laughable. Just a thought, maybe you checked that already.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have tried a lot of methods over the years to clean gunked up engines. The most effective has to be a little crock pot filled with undiluted anti freeze. Cleans them to look like new!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Tom Nied

mscic-RCU, I used to use that method until once I over cooked a well liked TT GP42. Actually created some kind of oxidation on the outer surfaces. Maybe share the correct method. Like straight anti freeze, low or high temp?, time?, is it necessary to disassemble the whole engine? I used to have wonderful results using the crockpot, but I really screwed a good engine once. Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:40 PM
airmaster39

It has been in storage with out any after run oil for 13 years, a glow plug is not going to work in this case. I started soaking it in clean fuel then soaked it in sea foam. it is real stiff and gummed up, going to try the crock pot filled with undiluted anti freeze this weekend on low. I will let you know how it comes out,
I seen at Walmart a 2QT pot for 7.99 New. A gallon of old green is 13.00 so we will see how this comes out.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 AM
mscic-RCU

I have the same walmart crock pot. I submerse the whole engine and muffler. Make sure you remove any rubber o rings or gaskets. I usually remove the carb. Overnight on high and it comes like new clean.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 PM
airmaster39

mcsis-RC,

You run yours on high, does this little crock pot not get that warm on low? Everything I have read about this process says to run on low or it would cook the engine (dis-colored) if it is to hot. Just wondering thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:46 PM
mscic-RCU

you could run it on low and if it doesn't clean switch to high. I am pretty sure I "cook" mine on high.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Tom Nied

And I'll admit, when I last did it, I might have diluted the antifreeze with water. Also, think I ran it for several days. I used to use the crockpot method with wonderful results, just over cooked a good engine once. Switched to Dawn Power Disolver, which works good but now is hard to find anywhere, without buying a whole case.

I know for sure as far as SAFETY. That crockpot once used for antifreeze engine cooking should never be used for food preparation. As well be careful with the fumes that might leak out of it, not good for humans or pets. Don't let pets or children taste the antifreeze, (sounds stupid, but it has happened).
Old 08-05-2015, 01:49 PM
humpmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably time for an overhaul/ piston and rings! sound's about like my rampage car I have, ran great for a long time, then started to have trouble starting, and did not seem to have the pull it used to, but I have not taken it apart yet and is now worse than ever! almost was seized up! been idle for over ten years now, but recently got it out and lubed the engine and got it freed up!
so now just need to overhaul it!
hope you get er back up!
take care and be safe!

Last edited by humpmaster; 08-05-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: type o!