Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage X Spur Gear problems and more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Savage X Spur Gear problems and more.

If the spacer is too tight, the CB bearing will become preloaded and then the CB won't spin freely on the crank snout anymore. In short, this means that the CB will spin whenever the engine is running. Not good.[8D]
Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

If the spacer is too tight, the CB bearing will become preloaded and then the CB won't spin freely on the crank snout anymore. In short, this means that the CB will spin whenever the engine is running. Not good.[8D]
I understand this very well (part of my job hehe). Read my posts again...maybe I didn't say it clear enough.

Taking the extra play out or taking the slack out is not a bad thing as long as you leave enough space for the screw to be tightened down and still allows the bearing to spin freely. That's what I have been saying my man. [8D]

Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
black mamba

Just didn't want to see someone fall into the pit of a too tight CB! Glad to see you have it all sorted out.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 AM
phoenix_stu

The X SS uses a steel spacer instead of the soft and somewhat "loose" brass spacer. The HPI p/n is 86171. I put one of these on mine when I put the racing CB on and haven't had any issues. [8D]
I went and got the steel spacer today. I have a question. It looks a bit close with the screw and the spacer. What I mean is is there a chance that the spacer will slip over the head of the screw? Should I use a washer? I am just afraid that if I use it there will be no space left. OR. Should I put one washer on the screw itself and then screw it back on. Do you understand what I mean or should I send a pic?
How is yours set up?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 AM
go-to

ORIGINAL: phoenix_stu

I went and got the steel spacer today. I have a question. It looks a bit close with the screw and the spacer. What I mean is is there a chance that the spacer will slip over the head of the screw? Should I use a washer? I am just afraid that if I use it there will be no space left. OR. Should I put one washer on the screw itself and then screw it back on. Do you understand what I mean or should I send a pic?
How is yours set up?

Thanks

I understand exactly what you mean. First is there less slack than before...feels like there's a bit of slack and the clutch bell still spins freely when the screw is tightened down? If so you're golden. Just screw the clutch bell down with your new steel spacer by itself and then check for slack and if it spins freely. You won't need the washer with the steel spacer if clearance is good.

The steel spacer won't wear like the brass did, and the smaller face also isn't an issue because the spacer is steel.

BTW, mine is set up with the brass spacer, and the crank snout is filed down to remove the excessive slack I had. There is also a very thin steel washer between the screw and brass washer to prevent just what happened to you with the screw sinking in to the brass.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
black mamba

The X SS uses a steel spacer instead of the soft and somewhat "loose" brass spacer. The HPI p/n is 86171. I put one of these on mine when I put the racing CB on and haven't had any issues. [8D]
How is yours set up?

Thanks

I just have the spacer, no washer. You can run the spacer and washer if you want to. Just make sure that the CB will not turn when you turn the flywheel. I check for this by *lightly*" holding the CB stationary with a finger while I turn the flywheel. If the CB wants to turn when doing this, the clearance is too tight, so just remove the washer and just run the spacer. HTH
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
black mamba

You are using the washer that goes in-between the inner CB bearing and the flywheel nut right? If you don't have that there you will have some excess play. I forgot to ask you this earlier.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The Savages never came with a washer between the screw and the bushing.
Every single SS 25, 25, and X I've seen has had one, including mine.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:30 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Nope. They never came with them. Screw and bushing only on the outer CB end. The only washer they had in the CB "area" was the one between the inner CB bearing and the flywheel nut.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Nope. They never came with them. Screw and bushing only on the outer CB end. The only washer they had in the CB "area" was the one between the inner CB bearing and the flywheel nut.

I will have to agree with gravediggerracing, there was not a washer there originally. Even here in the manual as you can see.

To gravediggerracing-- I have it on without the washer now and there is, what looks like ample free space in between. I will take it out in a couple of days and keep up to date.
Thanks again.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
go-to

I will have to agree with gravediggerracing, there was not a washer there originally. Even here in the manual as you can see.

To gravediggerracing-- I have it on without the washer now and there is, what looks like ample free space in between. I will take it out in a couple of days and keep up to date.
Thanks again.
Hate to tell you this, but the manual doesn't mean much...experience has taught me that.

I didn't wanna bring this up again but I've also had (2) Savages that came with a washer on the OUTER clutch bell bearing. So that brings the total up to (4) in just this thread that contradicts what has been said as assuredly not true.

Doesn't make any difference either way so long as you get your setup running well stu.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:45 PM
phoenix_stu

ORIGINAL: go-to

Thanks again.
Hate to tell you this, but the manual doesn't mean much...experience has taught me that.

I didn't wanna bring this up again but I've also had (2) Savages that came with a washer on the OUTER clutch bell bearing. So that brings the total up to (4) in just this thread that contradicts what has been said as assuredly not true.

Doesn't make any difference either way so long as you get your setup running well stu.

Since I posted that last I have thought about it and I actually put the washer on the outer screw(Z517) itself and screwed it back in that way it has the protection of not slipping off and it dosent interfere with the free play of the CB.

Thanks

Also, a little off topic but I just rebuilt the diffs with the alloy cups and shims and noticed that the instructions say that there is a washer that is sipposed to be included in the pack that was not in either one. The washer that goes between the cup and the gear head http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86099.html I wonder why it is in the included parts list but not in the originally sealed bag? hmmm
Old 04-28-2007, 08:15 AM
go-to

Since I posted that last I have thought about it and I actually put the washer on the outer screw(Z517) itself and screwed it back in that way it has the protection of not slipping off and it dosent interfere with the free play of the CB.
That's what I have been trying to say this whole time.

Thanks

Also, a little off topic but I just rebuilt the diffs with the alloy cups and shims and noticed that the instructions say that there is a washer that is sipposed to be included in the pack that was not in either one. The washer that goes between the cup and the gear head http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/86099.html I wonder why it is in the included parts list but not in the originally sealed bag? hmmm
Contact HPI about that my friend...they are most helpful with stuff like that. They will either send you what parts you need or explain why it isn't there/needed.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM
phoenix_stu

First I would like to say thank you for the information. Secondly, did you happen to notice that the New Savage X 4.6 RTR has the steel spacer on it rather than brass. I guess they addressed the problem.
Here you can check it out. Bout halfway down the page.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/867.html

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

Here is a pic:
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 AM
black mamba

First I would like to say thank you for the information. Secondly, did you happen to notice that the New Savage X 4.6 RTR has the steel spacer on it rather than brass. I guess they addressed the problem.
Here you can check it out. Bout halfway down the page.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/867.html

Thanks again for all of the help!!!

Here is a pic:
That's what mine looks like. Yep, HPI took care of that problem, now they just need to redesign the fuel tank!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
phoenix_stu

Agreed. [8D]. By the way sorry to have reposted the earlier post I sent you. I first though you didn't reply because I may have offended you with a PM. Some people don't like direct PM's. I guess I was wrong. Thank you again.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Also After I ran the washer as described earler, I realized that it wasn't necessary as the steel screw and spacer were enough and the washer was just overkill. Good call
Old 05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
black mamba

Thanks again.

I think you are confused. By washer do you mean a thin washer or are you referring to the thicker brass spacer? Some people have been known to wrongly use the terms spacer and washer in the same context. The SPACER has come on every Savage produced. Not the WASHER, but hey, maybe HPI released a few "special" trucks just to mess with everyone later on.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
black mamba

Agreed. [8D]. By the way sorry to have reposted the earlier post I sent you. I first though you didn't reply because I may have offended you with a PM. Some people don't like direct PM's. I guess I was wrong. Thank you again.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Also After I ran the washer as described earler, I realized that it wasn't necessary as the steel screw and spacer were enough and the washer was just overkill. Good call
No offense taken. I was out of town and away from the computer for a while.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:47 PM
go-to

I think you are confused. By washer do you mean a thin washer or are you referring to the thicker brass spacer? Some people have been known to wrongly use the terms spacer and washer in the same context. The SPACER has come on every Savage produced. Not the WASHER, but hey, maybe HPI released a few "special" trucks just to mess with everyone later on.
No, I'm not confused...you've just been re-stating things I say in a slightly different way.

One last time. I know the different between a washer and a spacer very well and in no way should I be *lumped* in with your average hobbyist.

Every time I read your posts man, you seem to be shooting down known-good Engineering principles simply because you know nitro R/C pretty well. I'm not trying to be the horses' @$$ here, but you don't know my background so please don't assume or continue to re-state things I've already said as though I'm clueless over here.

So my background is Manufacturing and as I know VERY well things can change on the line and not make it to the tech. writers for some long time. That change can also be reversed quickly and the changes allowed to continue on with no secondary issues. Just because you personally haven't seen this washer doesn't mean it never happened...that's all.

I also never said the washer was needed with the steel spacer (which I have taken you advise to buy) and eliminate the brass spacer and washer setup. I have noticed that even set up just about perfect in clearence the brass will still wear quickly.

Alright so all that said I am honestly hoping you understand why I even said it. I hold no ill-will against anyone here at all, and to the contrary I hope to even further my knowledge here.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
black mamba

No, I'm not confused...you've just been re-stating things I say in a slightly different way.

One last time. I know the different between a washer and a spacer very well and in no way should I be *lumped* in with your average hobbyist.

Every time I read your posts man, you seem to be shooting down known-good Engineering principles simply because you know nitro R/C pretty well. I'm not trying to be the horses' @$$ here, but you don't know my background so please don't assume or continue to re-state things I've already said as though I'm clueless over here.

So my background is Manufacturing and as I know VERY well things can change on the line and not make it to the tech. writers for some long time. That change can also be reversed quickly and the changes allowed to continue on with no secondary issues. Just because you personally haven't seen this washer doesn't mean it never happened...that's all.

I also never said the washer was needed with the steel spacer (which I have taken you advise to buy) and eliminate the brass spacer and washer setup. I have noticed that even set up just about perfect in clearence the brass will still wear quickly.

Alright so all that said I am honestly hoping you understand why I even said it. I hold no ill-will against anyone here at all, and to the contrary I hope to even further my knowledge here.
I'm not shooting down anything. My Savage never came with the washer nor have any of the other upteen flavors of Savages that I have worked on over the years while I was helping out at a hobby shop. I guess HPI did put a "silent" change out that nobody noticed until now. Moving on, HPI made this problem easy to fix by releasing the correct part to remedy the CB slop situation. I'm glad to see you bought one.[8D]
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
black mamba

Make sure you put some Loctite on the crank snout screw and crank it down as tight as you can. In the hustle and bustle of slapping my truck together last night, I forgot to put Loctite on mine. It was cranked down tight (that I can remember), but that wasn't enough. Long story short, today I was out messing around with the truck and all of the sudden it made this grinding/shriek-not good. I pop the body off and low and behold the snout screw was long gone as were the front CB bearing and spacer. When the CB walked forward it took out the aluminum shoes and the teeth on the spur and CB ate each other a little. Needless to say that little bit of Loctite cost me about $95 in parts. [&:]
Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
phoenix_stu

Make sure you put some Loctite on the crank snout screw and crank it down as tight as you can. In the hustle and bustle of slapping my truck together last night, I forgot to put Loctite on mine. It was cranked down tight (that I can remember), but that wasn't enough. Long story short, today I was out messing around with the truck and all of the sudden it made this grinding/shriek-not good. I pop the body off and low and behold the snout screw was long gone as were the front CB bearing and spacer. When the CB walked forward it took out the aluminum shoes and the teeth on the spur and CB ate each other a little. Needless to say that little bit of Loctite cost me about $95 in parts. [&:]

OUCH!![] Sorry to hear that.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 AM
black mamba

It was awesome up until that point. You're really going to love that Axial. Between it and the tires I'm using, it will throw major roost, even with tall 17/47 gearing. On hard throttle, even when not wheeling, it always appears that the front tires are just barely making contact with the ground.[8D]
Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
phoenix_stu

It was awesome up until that point. You're really going to love that Axial. Between it and the tires I'm using, it will throw major roost, even with tall 17/47 gearing. On hard throttle, even when not wheeling, it always appears that the front tires are just barely making contact with the ground.[8D]
Yeah, I can't wait to get it. I should of had it at the beginning of the week but can you beleive that UPS is shut down for a week and won't deliver it until Monday because of some week long holiday here in Japan. BLAH. I have never heard of UPS not delivering. Go figure []
Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
go-to

Yeah, I can't wait to get it. I should of had it at the beginning of the week but can you beleive that UPS is shut down for a week and won't deliver it until Monday because of some week long holiday here in Japan. BLAH. I have never heard of UPS not delivering. Go figure []
And that is exactly why we have accounts with FedEx instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.