ID:	36631  
Old 03-01-2003, 03:52 PM
JAG Aircraft
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME 55Xtreme update

Originally posted by CAPtain232
Well let me tell you all...........

I am a big fan of BME as some of you know.....BUT am I ever getting tired of VIRGOROUSLY discussing what doesn't exist.

I have actually started threads JUST LIKE THIS ONE....only because of MY excitement. From my experience with BME and KEITH, he is about 90% right on what he says he is going to produce. SO I AM EXCITED as I like to fly 1/4 scale planes (for the shear simplicity of transport and storage) and I feel that this size engine with the HYPED LOW WEIGHT will be just the ticket I am looking for. I definitely agree that some of the bigger planes that were meant to fly with a 50cc engine were not designed with a "SUB 3 lb." engine in mind, so yes you may have to add lead. While the added "DEAD WEIGHT" is not desireable, I think it would still be a better PERFORMANCE combination. There will be PROs and CONs to ANY engine with a design like this.

I WORK HARD to get MY planes as light as I can...an engine like this will help tremendously.

When I build a plane for someone else, WEIGHT is a factor, but STRUCTURAL SOUNDNESS is most important. In most cases like this and with the designs that are out there TODAY, the benefit of an EXTREMEly light engine will not work due to balancing issues.

My suggestion, let it rest and see what happens.........
CAP232
I agree 100% with you. When i built a plane i want a strong light plane with control and power when i need it. Not a jet i like the slower more controlable so i can fly it not it fly me. The guys looking for speed needs to go to the JETS. I think BME has the best engines on the market today.
James
Old 03-01-2003, 05:45 PM
EJB

Default "The DC 2M gas pattern ship"

Nice looking plane Dick.Any chance of this plane being the next "how to"subject in Model Aviation?(like the Hurly Extra)....or even better-make a kit avaiable?
Old 03-02-2003, 04:59 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Model Aviation?
I hardly think so -
That mag is typically crammed with at least 2 pages of new information.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Eruption
My Feedback: (2)

One thing that you guys forgot to mention is noise issues. This is where the BME55 has a chance to shine.

For example, everyone mentions the need to add nose weight since the 55 is so light. Well, if you're at a noise sensitive field, the BME will allow you to add a heavier 3 blade prop and tuned canister. After this not only will you have a quieter airplane, but you should still be lighter than the DA50.

Kevin

PS: Not intended as a dig on the DA. I fly and love both DA and BME. Also held the 110 prototype at the TOC. Incredibly lightweight and a lot of thought put into it's design.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:18 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Anyone know the due date on the BME 55? Will BME be at Toledo?
Thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 05:22 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Last time I talked to Keith, JUNE he didn't say what year though.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:07 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

hmm... man seems like forever but worth the wait
Old 03-04-2003, 12:16 AM
JAG Aircraft

Default BME 55

Originally posted by woodscra
Anyone know the due date on the BME 55? Will BME be at Toledo?
Thanks
They are working on it now. I will see Keith this week and i will find out were they are on it. When i have something on it i will post on here for you Guys. The post above said something about noise, i am gald i live and fly were we don't worry about things like pollen and noise. The fields i fly at that has ever came up and i can't see it ever coming up. WE DON'T HAVE TREE HUGGERS IN THIS AREA. James A, Guinn
Old 03-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

Eventually, noise will catch up to you.... maybe not at your field, but certainly you will be at a contest at another field where its an issue.... if not that, later in life when you got to buy that hearing aid a few years earlier than you expected....
Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 AM
JAG Aircraft

Originally posted by Desertrat
Eventually, noise will catch up to you.... maybe not at your field, but certainly you will be at a contest at another field where its an issue.... if not that, later in life when you got to buy that hearing aid a few years earlier than you expected....
HI: Desertrat

I am new to this airplane flying thing so i need all the help and advice i can get!! I can still see may first airplane as it went in the air and remember the feeling i had that day. I still get that feeling every time my plane goes into the air. My first fight was back in December 25/1956. So if i kept getting all this help i may learn to fly one day.

Have a great day
James
Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 PM
JAG Aircraft

Default BME 55

I talked to Keith at the field today and he told me the 55 should be ready by June. They have one running now but are going to make some changes on it. He is having to wait on parts alot these days every thing takes so long to get. If i heard of any changes i will let you know.
James Guinn
Old 03-09-2003, 01:14 PM
JAG Aircraft

Originally posted by Kris^
Super]

I am getting some extremely negative vibes from you. . .it seems you have made this a personal vendetta to nay-say and attempt to contradict almost everything discussed.

Fact is, the BME 55, when it gets here (someday) will be a tremendous step forward in both power improvement and weight removal from an engine in the 50-55cc size class. Whether the final "maxed out" weight of the 55 is 3 lbs, 2lbs 8 ounces or 3.25 lbs does not really matter. Right now, Keith Baker is within 2 ounces of his target weight, and well above his power output level. That tells ME that the final product is going to be VERY good indeed, and that eveyone else, including all the glow guys, is going to be playing catch-up.

Now, admittedly, Keith WANTS 1.99 lbs final weight, with plug and mount. he may have to ditch the mount to get it, but rest assured he's GOING to try to get it there. And, even with a "worst case" scenario, the engine will gross no more than 3 lbs installed and ready to run.

Iis the nature of 2-stroke engines that they are going to be lighter than 4-strokes of the same power level. It's just the nature of the beast. nothing agaisnt the YS140. . at it's current price, though, it's far more expensive than a comparable BME55, requires much more expensive fuel, makes about half the power, and weighs within a few ounces once all the installation is said and done.

I REALLY hope some pattern jocks get the "stones" to try a BME55 in a pattern plane, using a 3-bladed prop and quiet pipe to out-silence the big 4-strokes. It would be interesting to see how many "hard core" YS guys make a quick switch to more power for the same weight

Then, you have to remember. . .a Gasser, unlike a glow motor, leaves NO smoke trail. . I wonder how many points Pattern jocks get gigged when the judges can easily see the bobbles and miscues just by the exhaust trail from the engine. . . Imagine going to a Meet and having NO exhaust trail to give away your mistakes. . . . Gee. . ANOTHER point in the BME55's favor. .
I was just talking to Keith Sat. at the field about making a 30 something size to go come some planes i have designed. They will replace the Y/S 120-140's that on them now. I can make the body a little wider to take them and i will have a good pattern plane. Your right on the smoke thing they see every mistake you can't cover that trail up. A 30 plus would pull the 2 meter plane at half throttle and when you need more power it would be there. Plus no more $25 a day for fuel i like that part of it to. You all so have less clean up at the end of the day. Thats lots of PLUS for BME.
James
Old 03-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Barry_G
My Feedback: (26)

It would be nice to not have to worry about noise, however I, and the other modelers on here who live in more populated areas of the country, would like to see the engine mfg's put a little more engineering effort into a engine/muffler system that is designed to work together for optimum performance with minimum noise emission.
Mufflers have most always been an after-thought when making an engine decision, and if they're not properly tuned, they can and DO cause significant power loss from the engine mfg's claim.
I'd like to see more engine mfg's give some RPM and Db figures with different available muffler and prop options so we could more easily choose a power package that would conform to our local requirements.
I fly at a field that has a 101 db limit. The measurement is taken 9' from all sides of the model setting on a wooden table at wide open carb. then averaged to give the level.
This gives a whole new element of challenge to my purchase decisions when I consider a larger model.
Barry
Old 03-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Barry, 3 YEARS ago, my 140 TOC on pipes with a 3-blade was doing 100-101 at max throttle at 9 feet. The technology has been around for quite a while.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:28 PM
lagCisco

how much will the bme 55 extreme cost?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Price is projected to be the same as the current 50cc engine. Check with BME for any further information. Their new website is up with some detaisl about the upcoming 55
Old 04-08-2003, 12:12 AM
JAG Aircraft

Default noise

Barry: I understand that noise is a big thing at lots of fields. Its bad that so many people make a big deal of things like this but they do there worry about lots of stuff and the things they need to worry about is let go, i am talking mostly of the young kids thats growing up that has no resect for anything because no one makes them mind, Kris is right a prop can help with the noise alot some day someone will help with the muffer thing to pro-zinger has done a good job for me. I fly at four fields and noise is not a problem at them guess we are lucky. may be thr three blade or pro-zinger will help you good luck
James