Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Australian bbq and beers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:58 AM
mezd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Australian bbq and beers

Ok dilema!! forget the twister battery, much more important.

A friend has just messaged me and said that one of his friend is selling his S&B Spitfire, its all built and has been flown 3 times. It comes with servos installed and a 30amp brushless speed controller. i might be able to get it for about $180-

Or.. do i hold out and get the RTF PZ spitfire with everything inc.

Mez[]
Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 AM
bleary

Got a close up of the motor Crawf? Someone was telling me it is different from the EFlight motors.
Got the MUS done.pulling around 20 amps on a Flightpower 2170 3S with a 11x 5.5...should do to start.I stole a CC45 from a Stryker I am not using (had to reprogram back to 3S....beep beep etc etc..(was on 4S program) ) found a little fm rx as well,will have to range check it,but am sick to death of paying $100 a go for JR Rx's...The ESC is probably overkill,but should do the job on this utility looking...(read: as ugly as a hat full of arseholes) plane....she has a certain charm though...
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:01 AM
dabvid

i think i might do that to DB. i really like the look of the MPXT and MC flew his SS as a 3rd plane beautifully so i think with alot of confidence on the minimag and my wallet ready for replacements if the worst happens i will be alright.
Crawf, what comes with the plug and play? And also does anyone know if the FMS sim is like a real rc plane i already have the sim and the cord is 22 dollars so i think i will buy one unless it is practically like a PS2.
regards,
dave
Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Crawf_

And here's the MPXT next to her ugly sibling, the MUS

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97444.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	712102  
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: bleary

Got a close up of the motor Crawf? Someone was telling me it is different from the EFlight motors.
Got the MUS done.pulling around 20 amps on a Flightpower 2170 3S with a 11x 5.5...should do to start.I stole a CC45 from a Stryker I am not using (had to reprogram back to 3S....beep beep etc etc..(was on 4S program) ) found a little fm rx as well,will have to range check it,but am sick to death of paying $100 a go for JR Rx's...The ESC is probably overkill,but should do the job on this utility looking...(read: as ugly as a hat full of arseholes) plane....she has a certain charm though...
Bleary.
Bleary

to be honest, I haven't seen the motor yet. It came with the motor installed and the cowl in place....

I'll go now and unscrew it and post a photo.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:08 AM
bleary

mezd,does the plane come with a motor? lipo even? A well put together S+B is streets ahead of Parkzone stuff.Guess it depends if you have a radio allready.
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Crawf_

Dave

the MPXT PNP comes with the airframe with all servos installed(Elevator, Rudder and 2 x Aileron and aiileron linkages in place. motor (e-flite park 450 BL) installed and cabled to e-flite 22A ESC. and motor cowl installed. Rear servos had long servo extensions connected and aileron servos also had a Y cable connected - i took the Y cable out as I prefer to program the Tx.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:22 AM
bleary

You know you need the 480 in that bird...preferably the higher kv model....although it may be interesting to see how she performs with the recomended motor...leastways it may be easier to adjust the C of G...
Regarding the spats,I have wiped mine out a coupla times with crappy landings,they are pretty vulnerable,but look cool,so just been epoxing them up as needed..
Good luck Crawf!
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Crawf_

Bleary.
Bleary,

Yes it looks different to the existing E-flite Park BL series..... here's a photo.... (dont' know whether that's different good or different bad yet)

Thing is... the ARF is $149 and the PNP is $279 so for the extra $130 you get the thing built for you, plus 4 x servos, servo extensions, aileron "y" cable, 1 22A ESC and a 450BL motor .... reasonable value I'd say...

Name:	Mk26047.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	712106  
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Crawf_

You know you need the 480 in that bird...preferably the higher kv model....although it may be interesting to see how she performs with the recomended motor...leastways it may be easier to adjust the C of G...
Regarding the spats,I have wiped mine out a coupla times with crappy landings,they are pretty vulnerable,but look cool,so just been epoxing them up as needed..
Good luck Crawf!
Bleary.
Bleary,

Yep - I have no doubt the 480 will end up in the MPXT but yes I think I'd like to see how she flies stock for comparison...

and for reference, my Critical Mass piles are throbbing right now
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

Do our most "unfavourite" hobby shop still have those cheap lipos do you know ? The $60 ones I mean ........

Cheers
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Rowdy_b64

ORIGINAL: mezd

hey guys i need a cheap 7.4v 800mah lipo to go into my twister bell. Any ideas where i might get.. or can i go a higher mah in something that small??
I can get the genuine battery for about $35, which is probably about as good as i'll get - but doesnt hurt to ask.
Mezd,
Maybe try unitedhobbies .. they have a pretty good range of lipos I've bought a few different sized ones from them now .. they have really great prices ..
https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...e/uh_index.asp

Cheers man
Rowdy
Old 06-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Crawf_

DI

Last time I was there they still had them - I think they are $65 though... and per a recent post of mine, they actually perform pretty well and seem to not lose their charging capacity too quickly... I wouldn't maybe recommend them for the Mag though - I checked mine and they are rated only 10C continuous and 15C burst... if for MM they would be fine... I've flown them in the EZ* and MUS without probs...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Rowdy_b64

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Hi guys. I think I'm the first o/seas visiter. OK, overview:
Tampopo (my fave carnal position besides a number 73!)
Work: First person in Europe to operate a computer for major newspapers, 3 year stint in East Lans Fusiliers (couldn't kill so left): met wifey (Eileen) and moved to Glasgow and built up a sandwich/takeaway chain and sold out with enough to live on for rest of life (I'm 55). Bored stupid so did voluntary work counseling for alcohol/drugs (see me DB!!) and now get paid for it 16 hours a week. I made the pledge to abstain in respect of my clients.
Got into flying cos of boredom and insomnia. When I'm not building I'm flying/crashing. Not the best flyer but any flight is good. Because of my fortunate situation I could live anywhere but I chose Glasgae. My typical day: Wake up, check weather, fly or build, check this and other sites, bed!! Did I say I was bored!! I'm a closet Aussie (not an Aussie in the closet!!) Building/soldering to do, byeee[8D]
Wow .. I'm impressed Tam .. (but why Glasgow ?) So many nicer places in Scotland .. Goto love Lewis .. but that's cause my Dad was born there (He lived in Glasgow too .. Berkley St ..can't remember the suburb)
Cheers mate
Rowdy
Old 06-27-2007, 06:55 AM
Rowdy_b64

ORIGINAL: Crawf_

Pics of the MPXT right out of the box.... almost nothing to do except bolt it all together!

So is it very cool Crawf .. it looks very cool .. BTW I saw a MUS kit at the not so local Hobby store, I picked up the ES* on the W/E .. was quite tempted to come home with the 2 ... thought better of it .. the wife was in the car
Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 AM
bleary

Bleary.
Bleary,

Yes it looks different to the existing E-flite Park BL series..... here's a photo.... (dont' know whether that's different good or different bad yet)

Thing is... the ARF is $149 and the PNP is $279 so for the extra $130 you get the thing built for you, plus 4 x servos, servo extensions, aileron "y" cable, 1 22A ESC and a 450BL motor .... reasonable value I'd say...

Actually I have never seen a 450,so not sure if that is a standard one...says EFlight tho eh? You are correct about the value though,I had the bits otherwise it is a huge bargain really.
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 AM
digitalimages

Crawf

Mmm Thanks for that ......... I'm just realising I need to know more about lipos !

What do I need for the Magister would you say ? I mean in how many C as a minmum ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Rowdy_b64

Has anyone any experience with the GWS A10 Warthog

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4224

I'm half tempted !! Ohh and good news .. my GWS SLow Stick is FINALLY 'BEING PROCESSED' !!! Could mean I actually get what i've paid for in the next 3 months
Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
mezd

mezd,does the plane come with a motor? lipo even? A well put together S+B is streets ahead of Parkzone stuff.Guess it depends if you have a radio allready.
Bleary.
No motor, no lipo... I have radio gear JR2610, well actually i do have a 400 brushless motor and i have spare tx etc and i have the lipo out of my heli but its only a 11v 1600mah???
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: digitalimages

Crawf

Mmm Thanks for that ......... I'm just realising I need to know more about lipos !

What do I need for the Magister would you say ? I mean in how many C as a minmum ?

Thanks in advance
DI

To work it out you need to know the motor / prop combination and therefore how many amps it will draw normally and at WOT.
This then dictates the ESC and LiPos ...

For example with the $65 LiPos - they are 2200mAh and rated at 10C continuous... and 15C burst so that equates to 10 * 2200mA or 22A continuous (10C) and 15 * 2200mA or 33A burst (15C)

I suspect that the Magister with a big stonking slow revving motor and big prop will need more than 22A continuous.... I think you even mentioned needing a 45A ESC so you need a LiPo that can handle maybe 15C continuous (33A) and 20C burst (44A) - assuming it's a 2200mAh

That's my understanding of the situation... Guys - any other thoughts?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Crawf_

ORIGINAL: Rowdy_b64

Pics of the MPXT right out of the box.... almost nothing to do except bolt it all together!

So is it very cool Crawf .. it looks very cool .. BTW I saw a MUS kit at the not so local Hobby store, I picked up the ES* on the W/E .. was quite tempted to come home with the 2 ... thought better of it .. the wife was in the car
Rowdy

Yes it IS cool.... I wanted one earlier but the crapo LHS only had the MUS ... it turns out I love the MUS so I was happy anyway.
Then later I saw clovus' MPXT in the flesh and I thought it looked sensational...

I understand that the MUS is more of an aggressive type of plane compared with the MPXT but I think they are both sensational and deserve hangar space at my place...
Of course I would have loved to have gotten hold of the PZ Spit... that will have to wait for another day....
Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 AM
bleary

A plane like the Magistar would easily carry 2x2200 lipos...in fact it would be preferable really.If you run them parallel,you can draw twice the amps from them.ie 10C 2200 3S can draw 22 amps,if you parallel them you can draw 44 amps,which is a better fit for a setup for the Magistar.So you effectivly have 4400 3S 10C,which equates to 44 amps.Plus you can use the lipos separately for your smaller planes.
Regarding the Warthog,I have one still in the box,will get around to it one day.They are very fragile,and to fly well you will need 2x brushless motors and 2x controllers.There are a few guys that have done a fair bit with this plane,from memory on the wattflyer forums for good info.I will get around to it one day,but have put it off until I have a bit of time to dedicate to the project.There are definate weak points on the airframe,and from what I read,lots of mods need to be made.
Still,the thought of a brushless Warthog doing a low strafing run.....well I guess that is why I still have the kit safely stashed away.
Oh,to use a car analogy....my Brio is like a new Monaro,all smooth curves and power barely covered...my Mini Pulse is more like a VL Commodore,sleek,but slightly retro...and the Mini Ultra Stick is like one of those SL5000 Toranas....all square edges and bolts and attitude!
They all have personality though,which is the main thing.Cant wait for a break in the weather...flyin to do!
Bleary.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Rowdy_b64

Still,the thought of a brushless Warthog doing a low strafing run.....well I guess that is why I still have the kit safely stashed away.
They all have personality though,which is the main thing.Cant wait for a break in the weather...flyin to do!
Bleary.
Bleary .. you are a marvel .. have one Stashed away!! Mate .. i've been thinking of doing that .. but just couldn't bring myself to buy the planes I've longed for .. I'd have had to just stash them away .... which is just what you've done! How many do you have 'in the cupboard' (and where do you live ... heheheheh)

Oh .. and on the personality comment .. i just wanted to add to that ... I just aquired the P51 last week .. before I got it .. I wondered if I should .. since I already had the Spit ..sort of thought 'another PZ warbird' other that looking heaps different .. will probably fly just the same.
Soooo totally wrong .. thay have so much their own personality .. completely different planes to fly .. I LOVE it!!!

Cheers
Rowdy

Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Crawf_

Nice analogy Bleary....

So what car would equate to the Electrafun?

I'm thinking about that great British gem of workmanship, the Reliant Robin!

Name:	Bz79638.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	712136  
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM
bleary

Yep thats the one..haha good job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.