Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fei Bao 339 arrived

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fei Bao 339 arrived

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
rcjetmodels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fei Bao 339 arrived

ORIGINAL: NO1

Yes,
After much deliberation, I decided to sell the plane. I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel that Feibo has really dropped the ball on this one. Do you think the "owners" of these tail heavy kits should be the ones responsible for making the modifications to the airframe, or should the manufacturer?? Myself and a lot of others forked out 4 grand for this kit (deluxe version)...only to discover that they now have a lighter "improved " version....HEY......that's the one I want!!!

fire suit on..............
Hi Ron,

The lighter version that is available right now is this on the picture, it is 1 Lb lighter but not in the tail section.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21170.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	872449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81601.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	872450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22070.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	872451  
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I would hope you would flip that nose strut around.....
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
rcjetmodels

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

I would hope you would flip that nose strut around.....
If you give me time I can do that with a good software
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Reinforcement mods completed, cockpit detail next and then final balance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78207.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	889916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98922.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	889917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48234.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	889918  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
InboundLZ

Well, that should get it done!

Nice

I have been eyeballing my SM 339 trying to decide if the nose is good as is or does it need beefing up....
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi NO1,

I noticed that you placed carbon fiber reinforcement on the upper side of the fuselage. Did you place any CF in the bottom of the fuse? I have yet to do the mods to my FB 339 as I waiting for the CF from Aerospace Composite. Just needed some insight as to how extensive the mods needed to be to provide adequate strenghtening to forward section of the plane. Also, how much weight was added to the plane as result of the CF reinforcement?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
pbusa1400

The reinforcement is really needed on the top and the bottom of the back nose section where the intakes, speed brake and canopy hole is. But a little extra can't hurt either. good job NO1
Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

After roughing up the inner skin with 80 grit, I laid a layer of CF from the rear former to the front as shown, then I installed the 5 ply stiffner directly over the wet resin (Westons)....then I applied another layer to the top side as shown....This has added a great amount of stiffness, and I plan to lay up a layer in the bottom around the speed brake...this weekend. By laying the fuse on it's side and working on one side at a time...the mess is minimal...and the resin stays where you put it. Also, it helps a bunch if you make up a stiff bristle brush (acid brush) and put an extension on it to get back in the hard to reach places. I simply glued a piece or brass tubing about 9" long on the end.

As far as weight, I haven't got that far, as I am now building the cockpit. Once this is done, I'll report on the final weight and how much was added to the nose.

Cheers,
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did the same to the JL L-39 I'm building for a friend. This is necessary due to the big opening for the cockpit. This will help a lot to prevent the nose to rip apart from the fuse in a hard landing, specially if it hit nose first. Not sure if the ply is really necessary but knowing that the 339 will need nose balance, why not to use it. Any way that will be a good excuse to have the extra weigth because is doing the job. So is better than adding lead to the nose. It's also good idea to lay a strip of CF to the areas where the formers are to way far one from another. This strip will go like if you put a former in that area. It's really help to stiffen the glass if it is too filmsy. Rembember what you are looking is to prevent the fuse to brake in half due to stress.

PS>> Don't have to worry much about adding that weigth. This airframe was flown with an 24 pound engine weighting 45 pound dry. With fuel is about 50 pounds. I saw that video and Wagner just hook me up again for that one. So with my Super Eagle will be a good combo.

Brgs,
Alex
Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked about the additional weight because my MB339 is powered by a Ram 1000 (approximately 28lbs thrust) and weighs 52lbs wet. Just a little concerned about performance if an additional 32 + ounces are added to the airframe.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:33 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David

All the re-inforcement weight is going in front of the CG. All it means is you will have to add less lead in the nose.

Best regards

John
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 PM
avicom

David you should be OK with ram 1000. Here is the video with Ram 750. Me bad it was 45 pounds wet. Enjoy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xBLeO63xUEE

Rgs
Alex
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM
avicom

Didn't get your complete message. Sorry, with your plane rigth now you are in a .53 ratio. With lets say 54.5 lbs youll be in a .51 ratio. But remember that the weight will go down as the fuel gets burned. It's all depend how's your flying style. With all that extra weight I guess you are not looking for an unlimited verticals and sound speed.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 AM
gooseF22

Thanks to Ron for fixing my Elan today, but I borrowed his time from his Tucano and MB339. Ron permitted me to crank the big XL Wren today in the MB339. That is one Sweet and powerful baby! The throttle response for the turbine is amazing for a big turbine....simply amazing. even from idle to mil it was great, but from 1/4 to full is almost no lag. Perfect for a heavy plane like this. cant wait to see this baby fly. Guys its a beautiful bird.

That sold me on the Wren's, of which a new Super Sport goes in my elan soon.

Imagine working on Jets in a brand new Man shop full of Wren stuff, Jets, Turboprops, bodyshop stuff, tools, and Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes......, and a brew or two. good therapy for whatever ails ya.

g
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

I have never recieved the CF reinforcement kit from FB for my aircraft, and after almost a year of building, and rebuilding, decided it was finally time to put some air under the wings. Although the weather was less than ideal I made a trip to my favorite testing site last Saturday withthe 339/Artes Super Eagle combination. I was more than alittle nervous considering this is defintely the heaviset and biggest plane I have flown. With Scott Harris stanidng beside me, and numerous radio range checks completed, I finally bit the bullet and released the brakes. The takeoff was very nice, super scale and other than a little trims ( afew clicks of up and left aileron, she flew great). I scuffed the paint when the retracts had failed to deploy, despite numerous successful cycles on the ground. The Super Eagle flies the plane very scale, but with a Rhino it would be a rocket. I used light ply and epoxy glass resin to reinforce the front and now it feels bullet proof. Despite the newly laid glass and wood, I still needed almost two pounds of lead in the nose to get the CG in a good location. After I touch up my paint and figure out wehy the gear failed on me, I will be ready to fly it again. It flies great and looks good in the air. Don't be afraid of the heavy aspect of this plane it flies much like a heavy trainer. I am a little dismayed about my lack of customer serrvice from FB, as I was desperately attemping to get this plane ready to use at TG, but now am having to go with my second choice.
Tommy
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM
john agnew

Tommy

Congrats on your maiden with the 339. It does fly like a big trainer but I think it needs a 35lb turbine despite some guys saying a P120 is plenty. It's over 50lbs at takeoff and 27lbs is just not enough in my opinion. We have just had our first day this year over 50 degrees so it must be the start of the flying season!

Best regards

John
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

It really is a great flying plane, congratulations on the successful maiden! I bought Eric Clapp's MB339 last OCT with the Super Eagle and it is just enough power to fly it very scale. I keep thinking about swapping it for a Rhino but have not made the jump yet. It could use a little more vertical then the Eagle provides. One bit of advice on landing, she is a floater and will bounce if you try to land it too fast - I learned the hard way and had to send her out for some paint and minor body work last fall. Enjoy and good luck at TG.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
rcjetmodels

ORIGINAL: DocYates

I have never recieved the CF reinforcement kit from FB for my aircraft, and after almost a year of building, and rebuilding, decided it was finally time to put some air under the wings. Although the weather was less than ideal I made a trip to my favorite testing site last Saturday withthe 339/Artes Super Eagle combination. I was more than alittle nervous considering this is defintely the heaviset and biggest plane I have flown. With Scott Harris stanidng beside me, and numerous radio range checks completed, I finally bit the bullet and released the brakes. The takeoff was very nice, super scale and other than a little trims ( afew clicks of up and left aileron, she flew great). I scuffed the paint when the retracts had failed to deploy, despite numerous successful cycles on the ground. The Super Eagle flies the plane very scale, but with a Rhino it would be a rocket. I used light ply and epoxy glass resin to reinforce the front and now it feels bullet proof. Despite the newly laid glass and wood, I still needed almost two pounds of lead in the nose to get the CG in a good location. After I touch up my paint and figure out wehy the gear failed on me, I will be ready to fly it again. It flies great and looks good in the air. Don't be afraid of the heavy aspect of this plane it flies much like a heavy trainer. I am a little dismayed about my lack of customer serrvice from FB, as I was desperately attemping to get this plane ready to use at TG, but now am having to go with my second choice.
Tommy
Tommy,

I have to apologize about the customer service but maybe was a lack of communication, I received the CF strips from the factory and sent to everybody that asked me for it, I've giving you support in other FB planes that you have, please give me a call.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
rcjetmodels

ORIGINAL: rcjetmodels

Tommy
Tommy,

I have to apologize about the customer service but maybe was a lack of communication, I received the CF strips from the factory and sent to everybody that asked me for it, I've giving you support in other FB planes that you have, please give me a call.
Also I noticed that you have scratched the MB339 a little bit, as I'm going to China in two days, let me know if you want me to bring you some paint.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
rcjetmodels

ORIGINAL: jclittle

It really is a great flying plane, congratulations on the successful maiden! I bought Eric Clapp's MB339 last OCT with the Super Eagle and it is just enough power to fly it very scale. I keep thinking about swapping it for a Rhino but have not made the jump yet. It could use a little more vertical then the Eagle provides. One bit of advice on landing, she is a floater and will bounce if you try to land it too fast - I learned the hard way and had to send her out for some paint and minor body work last fall. Enjoy and good luck at TG.
Jim,

We have flown the new MB339 prototype last week with 28 Lbs of trust and I see no problems with verticals, watch video at http://youtube.com/watch?v=DmKS7bBXHPU
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

I guess I must be spolied with my Rhino powered Kingcat's vertical ability Everything else seems a bit slow...Don't get me wrong the 30 pounds of thrust is great for this airframe.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Wagner,
No doubt you have supported me on the other planes, and I am very appreciative. I never however recieved the CF strips nor the new wing rod for the 339, and I did email you twice about it. I am sure it slipped in the communications, and and am not slamming you, but it has delayed me getting this plane where I felt comfortable enough flying it to get ready for TG. The mods I made to the front of the fuse appear more than adequate and if the front blows off of this one it will be due to a missile hit....LOL
I will not hesitate to buy another plane from you nor FeiBao, I understand the problems I encountered, and am happy to have seen it flown.
Mine was custom painted here so I don't need any paint from the factory, but I could use an outer gear door (the one that attaches to the outside right gear if you find a set lying around over there. I will look you up at Top Gun.
Thanks and have a safe trip.
Tommy

JC, I almost made that mistake. If we ever get around to psoting the video, you can see. When I went to land, NO ONE in the whoel crew noticed the gear had not come down, until I was about 5 feet off the runway. The gears doors were doors. I thought a split second about going around, but luckily Scott talked me thru it, and I just set her down fairly easily on the runway. Belly got scracthed. When we picked it up, the gear deployed and locked. I think it was something in the door cycler. We had cycled the gear successfully several times prior to flight and it looked beautiful as it lifted off with the doors sequencing and such. despite the scratches I was happy as sailor at payday.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
rcjetmodels

Wagner,
No doubt you have supported me on the other planes, and I am very appreciative. I never however recieved the CF strips nor the new wing rod for the 339, and I did email you twice about it. I am sure it slipped in the communications, and and am not slamming you, but it has delayed me getting this plane where I felt comfortable enough flying it to get ready for TG. The mods I made to the front of the fuse appear more than adequate and if the front blows off of this one it will be due to a missile hit....LOL
I will not hesitate to buy another plane from you nor FeiBao, I understand the problems I encountered, and am happy to have seen it flown.
Mine was custom painted here so I don't need any paint from the factory, but I could use an outer gear door (the one that attaches to the outside right gear if you find a set lying around over there. I will look you up at Top Gun.
Thanks and have a safe trip.
Tommy

JC, I almost made that mistake. If we ever get around to psoting the video, you can see. When I went to land, NO ONE in the whoel crew noticed the gear had not come down, until I was about 5 feet off the runway. The gears doors were doors. I thought a split second about going around, but luckily Scott talked me thru it, and I just set her down fairly easily on the runway. Belly got scracthed. When we picked it up, the gear deployed and locked. I think it was something in the door cycler. We had cycled the gear successfully several times prior to flight and it looked beautiful as it lifted off with the doors sequencing and such. despite the scratches I was happy as sailor at payday.
Tommy,

I'll bring you a set of the out gear doors also I have the wing tube for you, please look for me at Top Gun.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
BluFox

Wagner:

Yes, please bring back the Blue, Yellow and Red we are in need of for Travis' F-9F. All attemps to get Catherine to send it have been deferred to you.

Thanks,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Micro Turbines
Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

doc, what you bringing to top gun? looking forward to seeing another southern gent there, oh and bring that pig hollarin mike grant with you. we will have to do dinner for sure. barry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.