Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zippkits Rockett hydro build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zippkits Rockett hydro build

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Zippkits Rockett hydro build

Heres a cpl more pics,everything is good she sits nice when sat on the sponsons although i havent sheeted them yet.Everything seems to be going to plan,ill sheet the running surface on the sponsons tomorrow all been well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88696.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	916302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88793.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	916303  
Old 03-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay Mart, what I thought I saw I did. W would enlarge the holes in the sponson cross frames to at least twice their present size and any frames that are totally enclosed, I would do the same to as well. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a bunch of "fishtanks" that will just hold the water and rot out the ply.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Heres a cpl more pics,everything is good she sits nice when sat on the sponsons although i havent sheeted them yet.Everything seems to be going to plan,ill sheet the running surface on the sponsons tomorrow all been well.

Mart,

you forgot, tomorrow's Monday - work, no sponson sheeting will be getting done, unless you can sneak some in after tea!!

Looks like it's getting there quite quickly.

Glenn
Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 AM
martno1fan

Your a funny guy Glenn,usually thats what i do actually but so far what you see is 2 hrs of actual building time and about 18 hrs of waiting time for glue to set .Yes it goes together very quick so quick in fact ill need to stop untill i get further items to continue.Ill need to fit the tube, motor ,exhaust ,tank etc before i sheet the deck just so i have room to work,ill also need to make sure i can get access to things once the decks on but im not worried as the opening is quite large when you remove the cowling.Only have an 18" ready made flex and stub and ill need a 30 " one any ideas?,ive looked on Daves site doesnt seem he has any but ive emailed him in case.Maybe he will swap me this one for a longer one its brand new ,the tube needs to be long too probably about 26-27" not sure if they will have any at B&Q ,might be worth a look though will save a bit on postage on a 3 ft tube .

Hydro sorry dont know your real name?,dont worry about the sponsons mate no water will be getting in there i will be glassing the insides of them also i will fill them with foam before sheeting the top.Thanks for the heads up though i do see your point ,feel free to say what you think if you have a better idea im allways willing to listen.
Mart
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

DON'T GLASS THE INSIDE OF THE SPONSONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
All that does it add weight and make the sponsons hold more water. It will get in and it will cause damage. Been there done that. You are not dealing with a boat like the Wild Thing, so techniques used on that boat WLL NOT work on this one
Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 AM
jimmy 1987

hey mate top job i am buy one of these kits to

what motor you running zennoa or sikk
Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 AM
martno1fan

Well this is what Don Ferrette did on his just added thin cloth strips to the outer seams why would water get in? if its a sealed unit i dont see how unless something splits apart in which case its gonna need repairing anyway?.plus it will be sealed with expanding foam before i put the decks on.Im well aware this isnt a wildthing easy vee or any other vee,as for weight i doubt 1/2 oz cloth cut into thin strips is going to add too much weight.ILL have a think about the foam thing though as i dont want to add too much weight i might just drill a cpl drain holes into the tub and use a cpl of pieces of pool noodles in there as floatation.Either way so long as its sealed with epoxy its not gonna rot.

Jimmy it will have a modded zenoah although a stock one will push these pretty fast,but theres no racing over here for these so its just a fun boat so im not breaking any rules .
Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
brodjack

Your a funny guy Glenn,usually thats what i do actually but so far what you see is 2 hrs of actual building time and about 18 hrs of waiting time for glue to set .Yes it goes together very quick so quick in fact ill need to stop untill i get further items to continue.Ill need to fit the tube, motor ,exhaust ,tank etc before i sheet the deck just so i have room to work,ill also need to make sure i can get access to things once the decks on but im not worried as the opening is quite large when you remove the cowling.Only have an 18" ready made flex and stub and ill need a 30 " one any ideas?,ive looked on Daves site doesnt seem he has any but ive emailed him in case.Maybe he will swap me this one for a longer one its brand new ,the tube needs to be long too probably about 26-27" not sure if they will have any at B&Q ,might be worth a look though will save a bit on postage on a 3 ft tube .

Hydro sorry dont know your real name?,dont worry about the sponsons mate no water will be getting in there i will be glassing the insides of them also i will fill them with foam before sheeting the top.Thanks for the heads up though i do see your point ,feel free to say what you think if you have a better idea im allways willing to listen.
Mart

I thought Daves was too expensive, Mart???
Brod...
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
martno1fan

Now Now Brod while i most def can not afford Daves Zen 7 like you i have had two stock ones and loads of other items off him and still do buy from him and have allways sang his praises on here to the utter annoyance of some.By the way i got a reply from him he does have the 30 " flex shafts i need.As for Dave been expensive i dont think he is really, his hardware def is not ! sure his zen 7 is by my standards (to my utter dismay at times [:@]) and a lot of others most likeley but prices in the uk been what they are his prices are more than fare.If i had the money i would most def buy a zen 7 and a sigma tomorrow and one of these days i will.
Mart
Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 AM
brodjack

CREEP

Brod....

By the way,have you heard of P11 white Epoxy paste?
would be good for my Car repair.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: brodjack

CREEP

Brod....

Well you gotta keep in with the guru ,not sure about the paste but ill tell you what ask my mate Wayne he did a fantastic job on his cat when he smashed the front end really bad.
Mart
Old 03-31-2008, 11:41 AM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: brodjack

CREEP

Brod....

Brod, here's a link that tells you how to repair a damaged hull...

http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazin...ll_Repair.html
Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
martno1fan

Whats all this about cats this is a hydro thread [X(]
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Kev_B

cos it's Cool For Cats!!! Haha... blast from the past there... sorry, couldn't resist it...
Old 03-31-2008, 05:06 PM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

we like to mix up all the diff kind of things here like cats, monos, riggers and E-eels too, just a kidding mart, I know this's a hydro thread, BTW, have you finished your H-boat yet? if so, PL post some pictures here.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
martno1fan

No progress to report as i said before i need to mount some things in the boat ,route the exhaust system check things fit etc make any cuts needed before i can fasten the deck on.Once im happy where things need to be ill remove them and fix the deck sheeting on etc.So far ive had 2 hrs on this build so please be patient im not in any rush to finnish it i want this one to look the part as well as run well.Ill sheet the sponson bottoms tomorrow evening all been well ,might build the radio box too we,ll see.
Mart
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 PM
brodjack

ORIGINAL: ken0276

we like to mix up all the diff kind of things here like cats, monos, riggers and E-eels too, just a kidding mart, I know this's a hydro thread, BTW, have you finished your H-boat yet? if so, PL post some pictures here.
Yeh,you'd better not post pics of your Rigger in here Ken,it might steal marts limelight[X(],heaven forbid...
Brod..
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
martno1fan

Dont be jealous Brod maybe you should have a go at building a boat from scratch .
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
brodjack

I havnt got the time Mart,i go to work.Therefore can afford a 'proper boat'.
I messed aroung with wooden hulls long,long time ago when i was a kid..
I've grown up now...........[8D]
Brod...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
bentley marshall

lol yeah get a job mart
Old 03-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mart,I like your build so far,and will be watching as you progress.I won the Zippkits Rocket from the raffle MGB had,so any tips or comments you get on your thread will also benefit me or others that are building a Rocket.I have my building table,glue ,clamps,sandpaper,and other hobby tools ready.I don't have any bricks though.I do have 1 gallon jugs I can fill with water for weight.I'll either put in it a Zen 260 or a Sikk marine that I have sitting here.Take it slow and easy and post lots of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24075.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	918782  
Old 04-01-2008, 04:08 AM
martno1fan

Seems like we have a few comedians on here well for those of you who dont think looking after two kids and bringing em up from babys is a propper job thats your problem.Me i dont give a toss ,Brod if you think the mercury is a propper boat and this one isnt then we shall see when they meet at the lake .I knew i should have kept this thread off this forum (heck i was warned) looks like he was right too many fools playing the comedian,now i can take a joke heck i like a laugh but when the jokes on me then it no longer becomes funny so if you have nothing to contribute to this thread as regards comments on the build or recommendations i suggest you take your jokes and misguided outdated opinions somewhere else[sm=punching.gif].
Mart
ps i dont know why i even bothered defending myself against these comments as we all know children never listen!!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 AM
w3bby

I'll have a think about the foam thing though as I dont want to add too much weight........
Just not the spray foam Mart, has been known to expand again later in it's life and blow seams apart.....
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM
martno1fan

Thanks Ian ive never had that problem with it? i put some in a plane wing and its never popped a seam maybe its a water thing?.Might just stick to pool noodles then,will have to wait a day or so as i got both kids off with flu.Next job is finding a long enough pushrod for the rudder [X(],a visit to the model aeroplane store i guess asuming they have some strong enough.It will go through a sleeve of either carbon fibre or brass or ali tubing depending what i can get to make it more rigid as per the instructions.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM
glennb2006

Thanks Ian ive never had that problem with it? i put some in a plane wing and its never popped a seam maybe its a water thing?.Might just stick to pool noodles then,will have to wait a day or so as i got both kids off with flu.Next job is finding a long enough pushrod for the rudder [X(],a visit to the model aeroplane store i guess asuming they have some strong enough.It will go through a sleeve of either carbon fibre or brass or ali tubing depending what i can get to make it more rigid as per the instructions.

A long pushrod is always going to give some flex, have you considered a "pull pull" mechanism for the rudder linkage?

Should eliminate any issues you are likely to encounter.

Glenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.