Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

HELP.... Dont know how to start my first boat.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

HELP.... Dont know how to start my first boat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:49 AM
motrcyclryan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP.... Dont know how to start my first boat.

lol.. the more i read this thread the harder i wanna bang my head against the wall. nguyen, please... for my sanity and the sanity of others please READ and RE-READ what the others have posted on here. it seems like you keep asking the same questions over and over again. If trying to clean the carb is goin to go anything like what i think, you might be better off just buying a new carb. Or even a new boat. it seems the problems you are getting into arent worth the frustration you seem to be showing. sorry if this comes out sounding mean. I really dont mean to be a *****. just seems some things arent meant for everyone.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 AM
mike the snake

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all else fails, take the boat to your local hobby shop, or rc boat club, or even a small engine/chainsaw repair place. A knowledgeable person can diagnose this in short time. It may just be the way you are pulling on the chord.

If you pull the fuel line OFF, and squirt some fuel in the carb throat the engine Should fire for a few seconds at least regardless of needle settings.

I'd see if that happens first, then I'd look into cleaning the carb if it doesn't run after that.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
ken0276
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nguyen3254

I had tried puting my hand over the carb and cranking it at the same time and i do see fuel flow threw the hose, so i am thinking that the lines are setup correctly, but i may be wrong.
We are using a same 260, your carb is 257, so set the 2-1/2 on L and 1-1/8 on H, then pull it 10 times without a plug, put the plug back and pull it, your 260 should fire up in a couple pulls. I'm using 1: 16(8 Oz) Honda synthetice oil for the fuel, BTW, what's the oil ratio of your fuel?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25716.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	917501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85784.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	917502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46377.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	917503  
Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 PM
JohnnyBenz22

hey ken, is the is the the fuel fitting on the carb behind the carb and the pulse fitting in front of the carb on the high and low needle side?

Is this the throttle in the pic?

Name:	Yv65851.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	917514  
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 PM
ken0276
Banned

hey ken, is the is the the fuel fitting on the carb behind the carb and the pulse fitting in front of the carb on the high and low needle side?

Is this the throttle in the pic?
Yes, there is a only fuel fitting on the carb, can't be wrong when you connect it, come on nguyen, your engine would start at least you are running the nitro fuel on it...

Name:	Ig13021.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	917526  
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM
JohnnyBenz22

The old owner that sold the boat to me said that the radio reciever must be on for the engine to start, is this true? Beside the receive to be on to give it more throttle, how would the receiver being on affect the engine anyway? I dont see any wire's coming from the receiver or the battery going to the engine.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Paul M

Are you sure the throttle is open when you are trying to start it. I have extensive experience in this area and I assure you it won't if it's closed. Trust me I know.

The carb is definitely fouled if the engine sat up for 7 months with fuel in it. I'd buy another. JMHO
Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nguyen,I'm sure if you posted EXACTLY where your from,someone will direct you to the closest/local club....,this is like doin brain surgery over the phone....,you really need someone THERE with you,who has the know-how and expertise to help you get on your way.....for i feel ALL of our heads hurt from banging the keyboard....[:-]
Old 03-30-2008, 05:58 PM
glennb2006

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

nguyen,I'm sure if you posted EXACTLY where your from,someone will direct you to the closest/local club....,this is like doin brain surgery over the phone....,you really need someone THERE with you,who has the know-how and expertise to help you get on your way.....for i feel ALL of our heads hurt from banging the keyboard....[:-]
Agreed on that one Mr Bob!!

By the way nguyen, fuel should not be coming out of the exhaust, there is way to much in the engine if that's the case.

Glenn

Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM
JohnnyBenz22

FINALLY.......... I got it started. You guys where right it was the carburator, I took out the carb and dip it in clr house hold cleaner for 15 minutes. I saw it eat everything up in the carb, then rinse it of with water. Puted it back on then primed it and gave it a few yank then it came alive. I had hooked up my air compressor to the cooling head so it would overheat, then i had gave it some throttle and it was screaming. Now it would fire up with only 1 or 2 yanks. Gotta say thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Last stupid question, Where is the idle screw?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:22 PM
glennb2006

FINALLY.......... I got it started. You guys where right it was the carburator, I took out the carb and dip it in clr house hold cleaner for 15 minutes. I saw it eat everything up in the carb, then rinse it of with water. Puted it back on then primed it and gave it a few yank then it came alive. I had hooked up my air compressor to the cooling head so it would overheat, then i had gave it some throttle and it was screaming. Now it would fire up with only 1 or 2 yanks. Gotta say thanks to everyone that tried to help.

Last stupid question, Where is the idle screw?

Compressor for cooling? You need to think of running some water through there. Sounds a rather unorthodox way to clean the carb., but you got it working, well done.

Best get the boat out into the water and start to use it in anger now.

Glenn

Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
ken0276
Banned

The old owner that sold the boat to me said that the radio reciever must be on for the engine to start, is this true? Beside the receive to be on to give it more throttle, how would the receiver being on affect the engine anyway? I dont see any wire's coming from the receiver or the battery going to the engine.

Thank god that you finally get it fired up...

Name:	Jh16124.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	917802  
Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Paul M

Now the real fun begins. If you're like me you'll be posting often. There will be Lots of questions and this is a great place to get some answers
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
nieto1124
My Feedback: (14)

did you say "CLR HOUSHOLD CLEANER". ?????? [] the stuff that removes calcuim deposits from your sink and drains????? and you just dropped the whole carb into the stuff AND WATCHED IT FIZZ. [:'(] Dude we need to talk. there is nothing wrong with being a newby. but you have to listen 1st ! then act. The guys you have been getting advise from have years of experience under thier belts. the engine was flooded. it only started because it sat overnight and had a chance to cleared itself. now you fired it up with 1/2 of the oil Matti told you to put in it. its 8OZ of oil for 1 gallon of fuel. [X(] and an air compressor to cool the head? YOUR KILLING ME HERE. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] e-mail me please [email protected]. I work in Broward county and live in Palm beach. I commute every day. I could meet you after work and clear up a couple of things for you or answer any questions you might have. or we could meet at the lake next saturday.
try not to hurt yourself in the meantime. LISTEN GOOD !!!!! DO NOT GO SMIMMING AFTER THAT BOAT WHEN IT SHUTS DOWN. YOU COULD DIE! Drowned or Eaten either way "DEAD". THIS IS SOUTH FLORIDA ! other critters live here too. meet "wally gator" he resides at our WPB site.

Name:	Zx70875.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	917888  
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
JohnnyBenz22

Yup clr house cleaner, and clr fixed it. I just droped it in there and watched it fizzed. Now one or two yanks motor fires up and give it a little throttle it screams. I didnt had that water hose fitting that connects to the fitting on the head so i used my air compressor to cool it. I hooked one end of the hose to the air compressor and the other end to the fitting on the head. I dont think it would be very easy for me to drown. A few months ago during december when the water was VERY COLD, I was out in my shrimp boat 40 miles offshore the weather was rough north wind blowing 20-25, my crew member in the back had drop the nets in the water, a big wave had crashed over the side of the boat and had pushed the boat sideways, then the propeller had sucked the nets down getting caught on both props shuting down the engine. The boat was drifting with no power pulling the anchor. I had to dive down with no weat suit only an aircompressor to a regulator and goggles. The boat is about 115 feet long and the propis about 10 feet down from the top of the water. The boat was bobing up and down while i was under there with my arms wrap around one of the blade on the prop while i am cutting the nets. Water was so could that i could only stay down there 10 minutes at a time, and i had gone up and back down like 7 or 8 times. That was the most worst condition water that i have ever been in.

The pull start on my zenoah has split in half, what website could i get a new one in? Do they make electric starters? I live in panama city fl about 2 hours from tallahasse so to far to met.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM
ken0276
Banned

You might check this link out...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZENOAH-Gas-Engin...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
hummitlargescale

forget the electric starter???? how about a electric boat. CLR like the comerical for calicum deposits on bathroom fixtures? how did you even think of this.would you use carb cleaner to clean your bathtub?Anyways at least you got it started
Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 PM
bucsbw

If anyone is still reading this, I am the one who sold this guy the boat. I told him that the boat sat for around seven months, but there was no fuel in the lines. I also told him that I had to disconnect all of the lines so that it could be shipped. I also told this guy that he needed to find a local club or someone within his area that could help him, but he still continued to call me and bug me at home. I kept telling him that I am a fast electric guy and I had lots of help with this boat, and he needs to get the same type of local help. When I was selling him this boat, he called me almost everyday asking me the same questions over and over until I wanted to shove the phone down his throat if I saw him. The guy just does not listen, and I am surprised that many of you stuck around as long as you did, your better men than I am.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 AM
mopartybob

LMAO....think how much CLR he has layin around to keep his 115' shrimp yacht goin.... at least he got it workin......[:-]
Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use an electric starter the type you use to start planes all you do is remove the pull starter and install a pulley wheel then use a v belt and your hand held starter and away you go,no more pulling.these links are just to show you the parts you need,you will also need a battery 12 v ,i use a motor cycle battery for mine.
[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZENOAH-PULLEY-for-STARTER-pullstart-rc-model-boat-sikk_W0QQitemZ360039355255QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2564Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Engine-Starter-High-Torque-Plane-Boat-NIB_W0QQitemZ180229631698QQihZ008QQcategoryZ34056Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]

[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-STARTING-V-BELT-kevlar-rc-model-boats-nitro-or-gas_W0QQitemZ360038509792QQihZ023QQcategoryZ2564QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638. m124[/link]