Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

modified zens

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

modified zens

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Dockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: modified zens

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Try running with the left rudder removed you should see a cpl mph just from that alone and steering shouldnt be effected too much especially right turns.
Mart
Why the left rudder? What do you do about water pick up?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Lee Racing

some pics I am having a problem i have put on the bonzi pipe as you can tell but i can not get it to seal up i have put on the good orings but i think the factory header is smaller than the bonzi header so it is not getting a good seal water is going everywhere including in the exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91539.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1265911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96796.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1265912  
Old 08-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Lee Racing

I have changed to aeromarine rudders and the pickups are in them so removal is not much of an option for me
Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Lee Racing

It is killing me not to be able to run it since all of these mods but i have to get the leak fixed    41.9 max and a lot of upgrades since     still on a stock engine
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: Lee Racing

some pics I am having a problem i have put on the bonzi pipe as you can tell but i can not get it to seal up i have put on the good orings but i think the factory header is smaller than the bonzi header so it is not getting a good seal water is going everywhere including in the exhaust
Get some thicker orings.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:11 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have changed to aeromarine rudders and the pickups are in them so removal is not much of an option for me
Use one rudder with two piccups but that said no need for two just use a single piccup still plenty of cooling i find.The reason i suggested removing the left rudder is so you still have good right turns but that said on a cat it shouldnt make any difference .When ive had an alliminium header warp out of shape and not seal as a fix ive cut a small piece of alli beer can and used it as a wrap on the header to get a tighter fit and it works quite well .
Mart
Old 08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
dicko

I had the same issue with my Bonzi exhaust before I pulled it off & replaced it with a better one. Their thin aluminium header pipes also warp where the o-rings press on the flange which leads to leaks as well.

Name:	Xv63232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1266092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26592.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1266093  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Lee Racing

thanks for the advise   i am running a factory blackjack header so not sure if it is the same size or not
Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Dockman

Ordered my new RCMK fromGizmo last night. Carb came loose on my Zen m5 and fried top and bottom ends. Man I have a lot to learn.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:52 PM
FlogginHarvey

loctite EVERYTHING!

The good news: new motor with 5+hp!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: FlogginHarvey

loctite EVERYTHING!

The good news: new motor with 5+hp!!!
I'm learning at my own expense.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:14 PM
FlogginHarvey

Don't feel too bad or depressed...aren't we all. You just didn't see my "mistakes." The first year is always the most expensive.

On these boat motors, it is ALWAYS better to err to the side of caution...especially with fuel/oil mixes and needle settings. That is why I run my motors at 10 oz. per gallon like Todd suggests on his quickdraws at worst I foul a plug or two. That is much preferable to a motor. They are wrung out pretty hard and the bigger props and hulls are producing some pretty major loads. I have a Baja 5B and the loads between the two are almost uncomparable.

Also, while you are running if you can't see the water shooting out the side then bring it in IMMEDIATELY! I thought I was fying my new evo last night while running off a friends dock towards dusk and tunred out my eyes are just getting old. WHEW!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 PM
PEERPSI

Mine was leaking plenty of water until I installed a pipe stop. I suspect the problem was the engine flexing and the pipe not keeping up. The pipe stop helps prevent that. See attached pictures of my setup. I ditched the phillips screw that came with the pipe stop and used a 3/8" 10-32 allen screw and a couple of nuts. The WHH pipe stop is too small a diameter so you need a way to get the tie bar at the right height.

Mine would take on a gallon of water when burning a tank of fuel. Pipe stop cured that immediately. Check WHH for one.

Running one rudder with the original servos will not work. Tried it when I broke a servo arm one day. Might work with a quarter scale servo though.

The other item I've found is the servo rods are too small. They oscilate badly if there is any vibration. That is going to be my next upgrade.

I got my boat up to 49.25 MPH with the stock pipe, tach said it was turning 16340.

Name:	Tr51678.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1267654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58475.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1267655  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Lee Racing

well hit a new high today in two aspects   speed and elevation 43.5 and it was in choppy water with engine sputtering after i installed all mods and not tuned carb yet.  tuned carb and water got a little rough and the boat was just starting to haul when she got unstable and got airborn  cracked hull on front left corner not too exited about it after about 3 horrible flips it landed upright and i drove it back and found the damage  guess it could have been worse