Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

WildHare 50cc MX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:56 PM
darrolair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WildHare 50cc MX2 Build

PWRDrill,
You're welcome for the reply. I don't intend to know everything with recievers and ignitions. Most of my knowledge comes from the web and making my own mistakes. I know many people use FM recievers in their new planes and do radio checks with the engine running at different throttle settings, and when everything checks out they will change to PCM recievers or 2.4. There has been many people (pioneers) in this hobby that help with decision making for what we do or don't do. (They) also recommend keeping your ignition and relatives separate from your reciever do help eleminate radio interference. I know I have too much money and pride in my airplanes to take a risk from RFI. Our radios are our weakest link and I do what I can to stay on top. And yes you're right you have a very pretty plane.

Good luck,
Darrol
Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PWRdrill may have got the idea from me. I have had a standard setup for many years, this is how I do it.

I use a servo on the choke which acts as a backup engine kill. I set up my throttle to kill the engine also.

On a 50cc or smaller bird I use a single A123 pack with a heavy duty output lead and also a balancing lead. The HD lead powers the receiver/servos and the balance lead is routed to a separate switch that then powers the ignition. On a 100cc or larger plane I use 2 A123 packs into a power expander with the integrated fail-safe switch. I still tap into the balance lead of 1 pack to drive the ignition.

I have been using this setup since 2.4 came out. I have used it with JR/Spektrum DSM2, Futaba FASST, Airtronics 2.4 and now with the Hitec Aurora AFHSS. I have never had a single issue with interference or any other radio problem. Using the JR flight log I recorded essentially identical performance using one pack and using a separate ignition pack.

Now, I recognize that if one tries one can come up with some scenario where this setup can fail, but reality is that it has worked perfectly for over 2 years in 20+ airplanes of all types with a variety of engines and radios. Nothing is ever perfect, but I have fewer problems this way than if I have to charge a separate battery pack. I can pay closer attention to making sure I have one good pack that is properly charged.

TF

Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
PWRDrill
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rctom

PWRdrill may have got the idea from me. I have had a standard setup for many years, this is how I do it.
I didn't get the idea from you Tom, but the fact that you do it this way certainly re-enforced it. I'm still undecided, and I probably won't decide until I can put it all together... which is dependent on the mail I've got some time, so feel free to chime in either negative or positive guys. I realize that most will likely be against it, but I'd love to hear specific instances where it was good/bad - especially bad experiences with 2.4.

Having said that, I did put most of the graphics on minus the flag. It just gets more beautiful!!!

I'll get some pics up later.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM
rctom

Most (or probably all) of the negative responses you will get are from people who have never done it this way.

Using a shared battery for receiver and ignition has been discussed on here and other forums ad nauseum and I have never heard of an instance where it did not work with a properly functioning ignition and 2.4 receiver.

TF
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
PWRDrill

Today was fun. Instead of flying, I went ahead and spent a good part of the day in the garage putting on stickers, and routing wires.

The stickers are 90% on. I'm still waiting on the flag for the rudder, figuring out where to put the WildHare bunny, and maybe pimping some (non)sponsors on the cowl or something. What do you ya think?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96944.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	1411191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80066.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	1411192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41458.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	1411193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23915.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	1411194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52670.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	464.3 KB
ID:	1411195  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM
PWRDrill

Here's one of my 4 year old son holding the plane, and the underside of it.

Name:	Pn37645.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	1411205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18622.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	1411206  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM
PWRDrill

Here's the inside. I still have to mount the antennas and secure the battery and ignition wire.

I know it isn't the prettiest install you've ever seen.

Name:	Zw69698.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	1411207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41603.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	511.6 KB
ID:	1411208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40373.jpg
Size:	530.6 KB
ID:	1411209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10822.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	1411210  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
PWRDrill

I also managed to fire up the engine for a minute or so - in the driveway. I couldn't help myself. Of course I had a gaggle of kids to keep at bay, but it turned a few heads Took about 15 flips with the choke on, and then 2 more with it off. Engine ran really well. I never got above 1/2 throttle.

Seriously though, is that not one of the most beautiful planes you've ever seen!?

Kevin
Old 04-03-2010, 08:50 PM
darrolair

rctom,
With over 2 years and 20 planes, I can't argue with the percentages. I guess I'm still old school and change isn't a large part of my vocabulary, however I'll certainly keep it in mind.

PWRDrill,
You do have a great looking plane and son, and I know you'll have lots of fun.

Good luck,
Darrol
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
stangman67

When u going to fly it? I love this plane. I am hoping it will be my next after baby edge. Well i hope tom is still making them by the time I can afford one, this hobby has already lightened my wallet significantly.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
PWRDrill

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

When u going to fly it? I love this plane. I am hoping it will be my next after baby edge. Well i hope tom is still making them by the time I can afford one, this hobby has already lightened my wallet significantly.
Possibly this weekend (weather permitting). It has been VERY windy here lately. Today, ground winds exceeded 40mph. Other than that, I'm still waiting on a rudder control horn in the mail - the original had a crack in it. I don't know if I'll be able to get video though, as the wife will be out of town.

I had considered the baby edge as well. I can't wait to hear your flight report, although I already know it will fly well.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
stangman67

I'm really interested in how the MX2 flies, Tom raves about its capabilites. I have always like my edges but it's about time to try something new when I take another step up in size (and get a car that can transport it!)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 PM
PWRDrill

ORIGINAL: zachfeen

I'm really interested in how the MX2 flies, Tom raves about its capabilites.

Me too!!!

It looks like the remainder of my parts are "out for delivery" today, so hopefully this weekend! At least I'll learn how it does basic flight, some hammer-heads, snaps, and many laps, haha. I'm going to take it easy for the first couple gallons while I break-in the engine - at least that's the plan. Hopefully my patience will hold up for that long, but I doubt it. Wish me luck
Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM
stangman67

Lol, that is what I say about every plane, take it easy yada yada. After 2 laps I always put them through the roughest blender I can throw at em. I am thoroughly impressed that I have never had anything come apart on me on a maiden.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 PM
PWRDrill

If I'm lucky, I'll get to do a maiden tomorrow(giggity).

I thought I'd throw a few pics up of what I've done since the last update...

I finally have a complaint. The British flag sticker for the rudder is too big. I had to trim quite a bit of it which resulted in... well... still looking awesome.
I also painted the spinner. The pictures lie. The color match isn't quite as good as what you see here. I'll have to find something better.

Name:	Xv63350.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	1415032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15493.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	1415033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37376.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	1415034  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 PM
PWRDrill

I also thought I'd throw a few pics of the original; and the inspiration for this plane.

Here's Nigel Lamb's MX2

edit: I screwed up on one major thing when trying to match the original.. anyone guess what it is?

Hint: It's not in these particular pics.

Name:	Sq47800.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1415035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95553.jpg
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1415036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37183.jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	1415037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24458.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	1415038  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
PWRDrill

I put a Wild Hare bunny on the rudder, but unfortunately, all of my bunnies are white. It just didn't go well with the overall scheme of the airplane. My wife is the one who made me remove it
If I had a black one, it would have looked MUCH better. I even experimented with coloring my white bunnies black with a sharpie - didn't work so well

Too bad really, I like the bunny.

Kevin
Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
PWRDrill

Well, I've got a dilemma...

She came out pretty nose heavy. It balances laterally with the receiver batter and an ignition battery on the starboard size of the receiver tray next to the receiver, but it then takes about 4 oz of tail weight to balance fore and aft.
It balances fore and aft with the receiver battery way down in the tail (two formers behind the rudder tray, and the ignition on the rudder tray. Problem here is that I'm afraid the pull/pull cables don't have enough clearance and would rub on the packs eventually, that and I'd have to get a hella-long Dean's extension. I'd hate to add 4 oz of dead weight... Grrr

Tom, how did yours come out? BTW, I'm balancing on the main wing tube.

Any suggestions?

Kevin
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM
rctom

Yes. Mine came out perfect with no unusual placement of components.
If it's a little nose heavy that's ok. Go ahead and fly it and check
the balance by rolling inverted from straight and level.

You can adjust the balance to your style. Each person likes it a little different.

Tf
Old 04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
PWRDrill

My receiver battery actually as two outputs, and I was going to use it by itself, but I couldn't get the plane to laterally balance properly until I put an ignition battery in. That, and it actually helps it balance fore/aft with the addition of the ignition battery for extra weight. That was the simplest solution to part of the balance problem.

I ended up drilling a hole in the tail gear, putting a small bolt through, and then adding 2 oz of lead. I was trying to hide it best I could, without doing anything drastic like cutting the covering.

I do realize why it came out so nose heavy now. Both switches could have been places behind the CG, but I had already cut the covering for the switches near the nose and ran with it.

Kevin
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
PWRDrill

I haven't updated this thread for a while due to work, but I did end up maidening the bird two weekends ago. I went out on a Saturday, but had several problems, and didn't get to fly until Sunday.

My first problem was the throttle and choke linkages. The kit came with 2-56 rods, hardware and quick-connects. I found that a couple of clicks short of full throttle-to full throttle, the linkages would vibrate like guitar strings due to a harmonic at that frequency. I thought to myself - hmm, I'll just change the frequency of the harmonic. I attached strips of wood, wound with string and then coated in CA to the linkages. After some accelerator and drying time I did a quick check; they indeed no longer vibrated like guitar strings through the entire throttle range. I thought I was golden - that was a mistake. More on that later...

My second problem was the tail wheel springs. I do believe they were too short originally, and lost tension during the month-long build-up. The plane was uncontrollable on the ground. No amount of tightening the springs would allow positive control of the aircraft. Thanks to a club member, I changed from springs to fuel tubing, zip ties, and 4-40 hardware. A pretty good setup that he's flown for some time. I'll upload a pic when I get a chance. This fixed the tail wheel authority problem. Unfortunately, this added a little tail weight and made me a bit tail-heavy.

Below is the maiden flight video. I have to warn you, it's pretty horrible quality and quite shaky. It was shot by my 10 year old daughter. After a couple of trim passes, I lost throttle control completely. Lucky for me it was lost just over idle - which was enough to keep the plane in the air (barely), but too fast to land. One of the club members suggested that I fly it out of gas. HAHA!!! I had about 20 oz of gas left to go at just over idle... no way. I wanted to do a few low speed passes to check the low speed characteristics, but I wanted to get the plane down as quickly as possible before I either: 1. Throttle went to idle or 2. Throttle went WOT. Unfortunately, not knowing the plane well, and due to a good amount of headwind, I cut the throttle too early and landed out in the desert. Lucky for me, no damage was done as I was bleeding every last drop of speed off of her trying to make it to the runway.

In the end I found that the quick-connect brass pin that goes into the throttle servo arm had sheared off. There was no binding of the throttle linkage to cause this. It seems that I had simply changed the harmonic to a very high frequency that was not visible, but enough to shear metal. I HIGHLY recommend changing the throttle/choke setup to 4-40 with ball links, as was suggested to me some time ago.

I tried to add a bit of comedy to the horrid quality of the video by keeping my daughter's comments in Also, there are a couple of cuss words involved in the throttle cut and landing. I blame my 8 years in the Navy... PG-13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QKujpm6WGk
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
PWRDrill

Couple of things to add:

-I thought I'd be slick and add in a couple of clicks of up-elevator for the maiden. This plane didn't need it. I ended up having to dial all of it out during the maiden.
-The throws recommended in the manual are more than adequate for the elevator. I didn't think it looked like enough, but it surely was for a maiden.(you can see my full deflection elevator on the taxi out)
-When I completely stalled the aircraft on the landing, it tip-stalled and dropped the right wing. Could be from my tail-heavy condition, but interesting nonetheless. (you can see it in the video if you look hard enough)
-Other than my unfortunate mishap, it flew beautifully. I never got her off low rates (which was 20-30% of max throws depending on the surface). I can't wait to see what high rates will look like!

Instead of flying today, I get to travel to lovely Nevada. Oh well, maybe next weekend.

Kevin
Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 PM
PWRDrill

I had been asked to post what I did for my tail-wheel assembly in lieu of springs. I fellow club member gave me this idea, and it has worked well.

It's 4-40 clevises with 4-40 screws inserted and loctited into them. I then pushed tygon tubing over the heads of the screws and secured the tygon with zip ties. It was a quick fix, but it worked really well. If you intend to do this, ensure you keep a little slack in the tygon cables or your rudder won't want to turn very far.

Also, it helps to put a little fuel in the tygon for lubrication before trying to push it over the 4-40 screw head. It's a bear to get on.

Man, looking at that pic, I can see it's time to tighten up the covering

Name:	Bz77525.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	1438202