Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RCG 26cc

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Night Scream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCG 26cc

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Mine (RCGF/Aerovate 26) will turn an APC 18x6w about 7800 anytime. I've since switched to a lighter TF 18x6 to get rid of some flywheeel effect with the composite prop. I haven't had a tach on it since, but it's comparable to the APC. Not having any trouble powering the Funtana 125 at 10.5 lbs.
Does it have enough power to hover? And how much throttle to keep it at a steady hover?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Night Scream

Mine (RCGF/Aerovate 26) will turn an APC 18x6w about 7800 anytime. I've since switched to a lighter TF 18x6 to get rid of some flywheeel effect with the composite prop. I haven't had a tach on it since, but it's comparable to the APC. Not having any trouble powering the Funtana 125 at 10.5 lbs.
Does it have enough power to hover? And how much throttle to keep it at a steady hover?

Easily, and I'll let you know as soon as I get that piece figured out.
Kidding! I'm a 3D rookie, find myself accelerating up out of a hover as often as I do falling out. Power is not an issue here. I'd take a wild stab at something maybe just over half power, maybe less?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Night Scream

Weird yet today when I took out this engine for a spin with the master airscrew 18x6 it showed it lacked power big time.. and its on brand new Funtata 90 S.

Had to fly at full throttle to keep the plane flying.. it seriously lacked power... and the wind was at max 7 mph form the SSE..
Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Stick2000

Night Scream,

try leaning the high end needle a bit, it sounds like it's running a little rich.
How much does your Funtana weigh? If it's around 10 to 11 lbs. you
should be getting the same performace Ahicks is getting.

So far the APC 18X6W is the best prop I have for the 14.5 lbs. high
drag Stearman . Have a Xoar 18X6 on order and will try it on
this setup. The instructions recommend a 17X8 and it could give
good performance on some plane combos.

Stick2K
Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM
ahicks

I found, during times of high humidity and air temps, especially with a newer engine, the high speed can be pretty tricky to adjust. I've been messing with small engines most of my life and generally don't find tuning them difficult at all. I can get it running OK by ear, but once there, I have to depend on reading the plug to see what's really going on! A couple of minutes at wide open throttle in the air, then killing the engine and landing to get a good plug reading might be a good plan?

There's also the possibility you may be running into cooling issues?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

ahicks, I'm curious, does your aerovate 26 have an actual walbro brand carb? Mine is supposed to but it doesnt...MIne says hilo or something like that on it....I have had starting problems since day one......
Old 07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Andrew_S

ahicks, I'm curious, does your aerovate 26 have an actual walbro brand carb? Mine is supposed to but it doesnt...MIne says hilo or something like that on it....I have had starting problems since day one......
The HiLo refers to the adjusting screws, which is which, high speed vs. low speed. The Lo will be the one closest to the cylinder. I believe the carb Id is on the opposite side of the carb?

If it's starting hard, and it has fuel to the carb, it's likely lean. If it hasn't run in a few days, drawing fuel into the carb can be a bear. I don't know what to tell you there. Mine has done that. When I was pretty frustrated one day, I put maybe half a teaspoon of fuel into the exhaust while holding the plane inverted, then rocked it to let the fuel into the cylinder to prime it. Worked like a charm...

Honestly, I'd have to guess it's not a Walbro, but would have to pull the cowl to see for sure. -Al
Old 07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

The hi-lo is stamped on the top plate on the carb, right beside the nipple for the pulse line...The h and l for the needles are on the side....Also another thing I found was the reeds werent seated over the intake hole...Like I said, nothin but a headache with this engine.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Night Scream

Hey everyone:

Well I just received the 17x8 apc.

But I encountered a problem... I can only drill 2 holes from the plate since the third hole does nothing..

If I drill it all it would cause is a countour on the side of the prop since the screw will not hold unto barely nothing..

Have you guys encountered this problem and how have you guys fixed this?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
ahicks

I'll tell you how I fixed it. I pulled the prop hub off and ran a bolt out through the front of it from the inside. It's all set up for it. I couldn't stand the wobble of the prop bolt in the loose threads. This fixed that issue too. No more drill jig or potential weakened props! One caution if you're going to try this. You need to grind the head of the bolt down, by maybe a third. Otherwise, it contacts the end of the crank about .030 prior to the hub seating completely. No big deal as long as you're prepared for that to happen. No problems since, with over 2 gallons through it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Night Scream

I'll tell you how I fixed it. I pulled the prop hub off and ran a bolt out through the front of it from the inside. It's all set up for it. I couldn't stand the wobble of the prop bolt in the loose threads. This fixed that issue too. No more drill jig or potential weakened props! One caution if you're going to try this. You need to grind the head of the bolt down, by maybe a third. Otherwise, it contacts the end of the crank about .030 prior to the hub seating completely. No big deal as long as you're prepared for that to happen. No problems since, with over 2 gallons through it.
Question about this procedure.

How many screws hold the prop in your engine? Also how many bolts did you put in?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
sdherington

If you are using a spinner have the backplate bored and countersunk to the bolt pattern then just use the bolt and the big (washer) to hold the prop on. If you have alocal machine shop they will do this for you for a nominal price. If not then let me know. I am a machinist and would do it for 10 bucks plus shipping.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 PM
ahicks

If I'm following your question properly, there's just the one bolt holding the prop on - and there's absolutely no problem with that. Many other engines, this size and larger, are the same way?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Night Scream

um okay let me see if I understand correctly.. I am a bit tired tonight

You're holding the prop with just the middle thick screw and that big washer that has the 3 holes drilled on it right??

I purchased and received today a new tru turn big bird spinner. But right now i'm flying it with out a spinner.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:56 AM
sdherington

You are correct. I have no problems with it. I have 3 planes set up that way. After the first few flights the bolt has stayed tight. It is no different that running a Saito 180 or other big bore. The backplate has the knurl on it to keep a positive drive engagement on the prop.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
ahicks

Setting the backplate would add a degree of safety, but I've not found it necessary. FWIW
Old 07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Night Scream

Okay I damaged the 17x8 drilling the holes so I used the 18x6 apc.. and flew it today with it..

Definedly the engine greatly improved showed way more power than last tuesday.

Question I have though.. which is the correct spark plug gap for this engine...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
flyhi2005

my rcg 26 do not have good I luck,
After seven flights, the engine will not start and i spend all day , tried everything I know,At the end I found that the membrane made of cheap plastic(not the one in the pump side)and she looks like she Experienced gang rape
this carb cold WALBRO TIPE......[]
The solution was to order a new carburetor from hobbyking- a real WALBRO carb for 31 $. i justI got it today ,I'm going to try the engine a few days.
My rcg 26 is on my [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMF8FBEARCAT71-B.html]ESM BEARCAT [/link]ESM BEARCAT . but Is a little weak, preferably 30 cc engine for this kind of a plane.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOb_-8qptiQ[/youtube]

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
sdherington

First Warbird huh?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Other than the landing, I'd say the plane flew very scale-like. Sure a 30cc like the DLE-30 will propel teh plane faster, etc, but the 26cc looks scale to me.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 AM
rcmodelflyer2010

hi there,ive just ordered a <span style="color: rgb(51, 102, 153); font-family: Tahoma; font-weight: bold; line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; ">RCG 26cc Gas engine from hobby king </span><span style="font-family: Tahoma; font-weight: bold; line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; ">and this will be my first big gas engine as ive always used glow engines in the past.</span><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">What i want to know is break in steps?what is the proffered prop size? do you have to run the whole break in period at idle? and how many tanks of fuel do you have to go through for break in to be complete?</span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">
</span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">Im really looking forward to using gas ignition engines and i think it is going to be alot cheaper too as i was paying around £12 a gallon or glow fuel and i can get a gallon of gas for £4 which is a big difference lol </span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">
</span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">If anyone can help me with the above questions i would be very greatful</span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">
</span></font></div><div><font face="Tahoma"><span style="line-height: 12px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px;">Regards,dave</span></font></div>
Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

This will help you get started. It sure helped me.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 AM
rcmodelflyer2010

thanks for reply :-)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Cientifico

To break in the engine

2 gallons of fuel 25:1 mineral oil propeller 16X8 or 18X6 depending on the airplane need. Little bit rich mixture, The break in flying the airplane, avoid steep climbs or manuevers that need alot of power.

Engine is ready to run, Oil to gas 40:1 using syntetic oil, change the spark plug to a new one, you can adjust the mixture to normal and use the propeller that your aiplane nedds
This particular engine seems to have max torque at 7500 rpm I have it in a Yak with a 16X10 apc runs great.

best regards
cientifico<br type="_moz" />
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM
rcmodelflyer2010

Thankyou for your time in getting back to me,that is much needed info :-)

regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.