Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Hurricane in detail

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane in detail

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 05:20 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had 5 flights on mine prior to 2009 when i switched to electric. ic power is os 1.2 4s, one day i will upgrade it to electric. do you think 2 4s5k batts will fit in the cowl w the motor and esc?

the fiberglass is the blown in kind so it would crack and break off where the longerons are on the back of the fuse because the thickness of the fiberglass varied so much back there. most of my cracks are on the square corners at the bottom of the fuse.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:56 PM
limodune

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes those batteries will fit, I use them in my other 120-140 size war birds
There's a little bit more room in the Hurricane cowl than the CMP Spitfire cowl so I will do the same layout
No cracks in the fus at present but I guess that can change

Mike

Old 08-04-2021, 05:50 PM
Fannyipcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is isola 370hr Board?

Industry Leading, Standard Loss. Thermally Robust Epoxy Laminate and Prepreg Isola 370hr is the industry's “best in class” lead-free compatible product for high-reliability applications across a wide range of markets. Isola 370hr is used in thousands of PWB designs and has proven to be best in class for thermal reliability, CAF performance, ease of processing, and proven performance on sequential lamination designs.
Isola 370hr laminates and prepregs, designed by Polyclad, are made using a patented high performance 180°C Tg FR-4 multifunctional epoxy resin system that is designed for multilayer Printed Wiring Board (PWB) applications where maximum thermal performance and reliability are required. Isola manufactures Isola 370hr laminates and prepregs with high-quality E-glass glass fabric for superior Conductive Anodic Filament (CAF) resistance. Isola 370hr provides superior thermal performance with a low Coefficient of Thermal Expansion (CTE) and mechanical, chemical, and moisture resistance properties that equal or exceed the performance of traditional FR-4 materials.
iPcb is an Isola 370hr manufacturing plant. ipcb provides a variety of well-known brands of Isola 370hr, such as Rogers, Teflon, isolaFR408, and has prepared sufficiently Isola boards to meet your rapid needs.
Whatapp:+(ⅧⅥ)ⅠⅢ Ⅷ-Ⅶ ⅢⅡⅤ-Ⅵ ⅡⅠⅢ

Old 08-05-2021, 06:24 AM
paladin

i have not taken my cowl off in ten years, but my firewall is different than yours. not a biggie that should still work. thanks

Joe
Old 10-18-2021, 04:06 PM
limodune

Got the motor battery and ESC install done--- ended up being a shoe horn fit but it's all in and working, also put in a new radio tray and moved the servo's forward and now have all the surfaces working, I replace the single servo for the elevator with two servo's and the rudder servo now works with pull-pull wire, retracts are in and working, also made up a sunken cockpit, I will give it detail later

Done a wt test for the 380 KV motor and 16 x 8 3 blade prop, with an 8s 5000 battery - 73 amp @ 2200 wt
AUW with batteries just over 14 lb, C of G about 105mm 107mm with a little nose down, did not have to add any weight to achieve this
a couple of small jobs to do and it's ready for a maiden

Mike

Old 10-19-2021, 04:43 AM
paladin

looks good!

how will you hold the battery hatch down?

i have lots of those ntm5060-380 on 8s 5amps, 15x8x2 will draw ~46amps (8 min flite+), a 15x10x2 draws ~60amps (7 min flite), both have an extra min built in for a go round.

Joe

Last edited by paladin; 10-19-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:08 AM
limodune

Its held in position with some teeth at the front and a couple of L shape nylon turn buckles at the back made from bolts that have a tab on top, I put a piece of 6mm ply behind the fg and then put star nuts in them to take the bolt, last job I managed to get the the on off switch for the flight pack in there---a tight fit
I have had good service from those motors that's what I use in this size plane

Mike

Old 10-21-2021, 05:38 AM
paladin

thank you!
Old 10-23-2021, 08:00 PM
limodune

Got to the strip and taxi tested the Hurricane, after 3-4 runs up and down the strip the tail wheel gave way, turns out the ply wood block in the fus broke away, its all fixed now, I glued it back then added a 1/8'' ply plate on the out side and glued and screwed it to the inside ply block.
It taxi'ed well nice and straight, I let go of the elevator a few times and the tail came up, did not look like nosing over, I added some 1/8 ply at the back of the retracts when I fitted them to give the struts more forward rake for our grass strip, next time we have good weather I will maiden it

Mike

Last edited by limodune; 10-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:41 PM
limodune

Had a successful maiden and second flight only a couple of clicks in the elevator and ailerons and I could fly it hand off, inverted it and only a small push on the elevator to keep it flying level, it flew very well, the C of G 106-108mm by my fingers is good, landed no bounce or nose over, I will get a couple of more flight days in and then give it some paint and detail to finish off

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Sonofasailor (11-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 PM
limodune

Still flying the Hurricane and enjoying it
Just a few pics showing the paint work completed new FG wheel cover's and some detailing, some time soon I will add a bit of weathering

Mike

Old 08-27-2022, 08:46 PM
limodune

Got 3 more flights in with the Hurricane today, had the camera with me and took some pics showing the finished weathering--done this quit a while back

Mike

Sonofasailor (08-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2024, 05:47 PM
limodune

I have been lucky and found another pre loved Hurricane frame only 10 minute drive away a few months back, the previous owner had striped and glassed the wings but not painted it, so having enough in the spares box to get it airworthy I got it back to the bench for some work, first was to glass up the holes in the cowl, I then cut off the 'bowl' off on the front bulkhead which will give me more room for the motor/ battery box as this will be and E conversion and glassed it to be a flat surface and backed it with 1/4'' ply, then striped all the old paint off the fuselage which had already been repainted at some stage in more or less the same color scheme so I removed 4 layers which was just unwanted weight

Thought I would do something a little different so I have gone with a D Day scheme, which will be a nice plane to fly/see on those cloudy dull days, with the paint work out the way I can now start installing all the electrics

Mike

Old 09-08-2024, 10:30 PM
limodune

So after some time and a month of the flu I finally got the Hurricane converted to E power and completed it, I got it out the the field and had a successful maiden yesterday and also three more flight's, after each flight I moved the C of G forward from 105mm to about 97mm, but still nose heavy, it's now about 93mm, next flight day I will see how it flies, no exhaust's of wheel cover's came with the bare frame so I will have to make this up as I cannot find any, I also have a new canopy on order to finish off

Last edited by limodune; 09-08-2024 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2024, 06:51 PM
limodune

Finally finished off the Hurricane, made some FG wheel covers, used a piece of thick glossy cardboard (the cats food box :-) )as the shape/mold and used a release agent to separate the two, with the exhaust's I ended up making them from thick balsa, marked them out and cut them on the band saw and rounded the corners off with a file and sandpaper, gave them a couple of thick coat's of undercoat and then colored them, next I gave a bit of detail to the cockpit and added the new canopy and an arial, then a few panel lines and mild weathering.

Mike

Sonofasailor (10-19-2024)