Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Disney1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

A lot of the Xtreme stuff he has in stock is for the Lama 2, 3, 4, series.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
helirook

ORIGINAL: Disney1

<span style=''font-size: larger;''>Hey All just a note US Hobby Supply has everything on sale at 50% off.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/

Also has Walkera#4 frames 10 for $10
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...oducts_id=1042
</span>
Thanks! I took advantage of the frames. I'd like to keep this thing flying a bit longer.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Disney1

Glad to be of help.
Frames are not easy to find and he has a bunch to get rid of.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 AM
gizmatron

If anybody still watches this thread my son is showing some interest in resurrecting my DF4 at long last..luckily after a few years in a box it ran first go.From memory someone used to do tiny tapered nylon washers for helping with blade tracking and adding a little more pitch for lift..I lost all my heli bookmarks in a computer crash and can't find a link..anyone got one?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 AM
demenicis

Hi,

I'd suggest you to get a pair of SUPERBLADES XP.

Also, leave the blades screew a bit (not a lot) loose so they can find their perfect balance

Regards

D.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM
fz1speedrider

hello.. can anyone answer this for me... i purchased a falcon 40 v2..its all stock.....it flies ok but it seems to be unresponsive in some directions at times..my son and i are just getting into this we started with some v911 's.. and i saw this helicopter....one of my questions is should there be any adjustments or tweaks to the gyro at all?  is there a manual or instructions on this copter and radio transmitter for suggested trim settings.. the manuals that come with the faalcon are vague at best...i really appreciate anyone s input...thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 AM
demenicis

Hi,

I'm not a professional but I can fly this type of heli pretty well.
I had a look and this is the same (or very similar) as the walkera #4.

If it came already assembled, it shouldn't need any further mechanical adjustment. The giro is for the tail rotor only, is internal and has no adjustment that can be made by the user. This machine has NO gyro at all for any other control. If you take your hand out of the radio control for 1 mili second you will probably crash!

There are only 4 trimming switches on the control:

- tail: heli shouldn't spin at all if you find the correct position. if the wind gusts the heli will try to respond quickly increasing or decreasing the tail rotor speed.
- trottle: the trimming position is very close to the minimum. Not completely at the the minimum otherwise the main rotor will take too long to start.

- the other two trimming switches are for the left/right and forward/aft balance (I don't know the correct terminology. I said I'm not at all a professional!)
To adjust these two you will have to take off and see how "out of centre" your control sticks need to be so you can stay calmly hovering. Land it, adjust the trim and try again until the heli's balance is good enough! thats all.
The only note I'd say is that if when you find the balance the trimming switches are "much out of centre", it means adjustment on the servo rod likages.
Verify everything after each crash (if you are lucky enough to have the heli still working after that).

Remember, this is a naturally unstable heli and it isn't at all an easy machine to fly (I took about 4 months with training gear just to learn how to hover 1 metres from the ground). Even more dificult through windy conditions.

The best (or worse) thing about this heli is the excitement feelling. It is like a real heli: you can only crash it once!

Regards

Demenicis
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Disney1

<span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">The Walkera #4 and the Falcon 40 are pretty much identical with fully excangeable parts.
You can crash it more than once I learned how to fly on one of these. I now fly a Belt CP.
It is correct that the F-40 W-4 have no true gyro.
However when you can fly one of them you will be able to make the transition to a Collective Pitch heli fairly easily.
As a CPmachine has a Fully Functional Gyro.

Parts are availabel at </span></span><span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">US Hobby Supply at a 50% off MSRP.</span></span><span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"> </span></span><span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">
They have a limited supply as they are all on clearance. Frames are 10 for $10

This is a link to their Falcon 40 parts.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=31_35

All other heli parts they sell are also in 50% off MSRP.</span></span>

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
demenicis

This sale of 10 frames for 10 dollars is really good....but it is a bit late for me

Although I haven't been flying for over 6 months (move to a flat too far from a good park), I had already moved to the guru-z frame, full metal head, super blades, super pads, shorter flybar,Li-po, colective belt driven tail and a bigger main motor......so basically it is stronger, heavier and I wouldn't call it walkera #4 anymore!

But I may buit another one with one of these cheap frames if I find a good and cheap pair of transmitter/receiver.

Would you recommend me a seller for this?

Regards

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

fz1 - the 1st thing to do is check the balance front to back. Just move the flybar perpendicular to the heli body & gently lift it holding the flybar near the rotor head. the heli should hang perpendicular to the ground. If not, move the battery around until it does. Make sure the flybar is deadcenter on the head & the blades are parallel to the ground.

Also. be sure to balance the blades. I would also recommend highly the SuperBlades. He has 2 kinds, one for beginers (hovering) & one for more adavanced (forward flight). Both are good!

Fly indoors or outdoors with NO WIND and then trim it out as noted by demenicis.

Lastly, there is a lot of good info here on the internet, search for the Falcon.

demenicis - sorry to hear you're not able to fly any more. You need to get a small heli for indoor practice! I have the mCP X which I use for orientation practice indoors once I learned on the Guru. My next "trick" is to use the Flymentor on my 450 & learn orientation on the big one without crashing. I maidened the Flymentor over the weekend & crashed immediately! LOL

Chuck
Old 02-22-2013, 02:58 AM
CFIT Gordon

.<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%">Hello fellas. With apologies for exhuming such and old discussion about a discontinued product, I have a couple of questions about some problems that arose when I dusted off my old Walkera 4-Channel, fixed pitch helicopter.This Walkera4 was storedun-usedin a boxforover 5 years, soI was pleasantly surprised tosee that the 8.4volt lipo battery could still take a charge, andgive me about five minutes of hover time in the living room.

Well, being somewhat rusty in myflying skills, I had a crash or two, despite lots of practice with virtual helis in thePhoenix4RCflight sim. In the aftermath of one of those light crashes, I noticed that the helicopter would stop responding to throttle inputs for a fewminutes, and then, just as mysteriously, would start to throttle up normally. I can tell then the throttle will get a response, because the heli's receiver gives off a series of beeps. When the beeps fall silent, I get no throttle response, and only seepitch and roll responses to transmitter inputs from my right thumb.

Suspecting that the main motor might have burned out when the heli flipped over one time, trapping the blades and keeping them from turning, even though I hadbrought the throttle back to zero the instant I lost control, I replaced the main motor with a new one I had as a spare, carefully soldering the four capacitors and one diodeto the motor housing and terminals. Charged the battery up tried to take a test flight, but the helicopter still showed zero response to throttle inputs, with normal responses to pitch and roll commands from the right thumb. Those elevator and aileronservos chirped as usual, but, that rapid beeping from the helicopter receiver, which had earlier meant that throttle inputs were about to spin the main rotor, were not heard. There continued to be zero response by the heli to all left thumb throttle inputs.
I am writing to ask if any of you RC pilots may have encountered this sort of problem with a Walkera4 FP heli, and if so, how you went about solving the problem of zero throttle response. The only component that I have not replaced on this helicopter is the receiver itself, and I would appreciate anyadvice that can be offered here regarding whetherintermittent receiver failure can produce thesymptoms I have described above, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I have a load of spare parts of this little Wakera4 FP heli, so I don't want to deep-six it until I have crashed my way through that bag of spares and got my money's worth.</span></div>
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

CFIT Gordon - I'm no expert but...

sounds like maybe the ESC isn't arming but not sure why that would happen after a crash. Maybe loose wire...? Make sure the throttle & throttle trim are all the way off/down before powering up.

Maybe the throttle isn't calibrated (?). With BL motors & ESC, you power up with the throttle all the way up, turn on the heli, wait for some beeps & then lower the stick, it finishes with more beeps & you're good to go.

Check the LiPo voltage, maybe it's not as good as it seems.

I hope this helps! Let us know what you find.

Chuck
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
CFIT Gordon

Thanks for the quick reply, Chuck.  I'm going through the connections and checking the battery voltage now.  I noticed that the problem began as an intermittent one, and then progressed to where there was no further beeping from the reciever.  It just occurred to me that the transmitter batteries might have run down, even though I don't have enough hours of flying to make that likely.  I'll check on those batteries while I'm at it.

I appreciate the pointers, and will write back here when I figure out what went wrong. 

Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 PM
CFIT Gordon

Well, after much tinkering, I have arrived at the conclusion that the battery may have lost most of its capacity over the years during which it was stored here. There were a total of three batteries that I attempted to charge, and just the one would hold a full charge, though now I feeleven that battery which appeared to work normally, just didn't have the capacity left in it, to turn the rotor blades.

So, I'll try with a newly ordered battery, and throw out all the old ones. I'll report back here whenI've tried that new battery, just in case anyone out there encounters a similar problem withand old Walkera4 FP heli, and its equally old batteries.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM
helirook

Since mine is still flying but down to the last remaining 4 in 1, I'm glad to see people still posting to this thread.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
brunobl

Wow, this thread has been going on for some 8 years! I stepped by to see if it was still active. I'm glad to report that after all this time my #4 is still going strong. The canopy is pretty beaten up, but the mechanics & electronics are still in very good shape. I put a new Lipo Rx battery and she is flying like new!

After this heli I got a Raptor 50 nitro, then a Min Air Spectra G gasser heli, then an Align 450SEV2, and have been having great fun with all of those (sold the Raptor to buy the Spectra), but now and then I still fly the little #4 at home.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
demenicis

That is true M8, 8 years.I'm not that old in the thread, but I think I "resuscitated" it a couple of years ago.My walkera became a walkera/guru z. but now I don't even know what it is.I assembled a belt driven tail+new giro, changed the motor for a bigger one, full aluminium fix pitch rotor with an "anti-giro" on the main gear to allow for free rotation when motor switches off.By the time I was about to test it, my battery was too old. Then I moved house and never tried it.By the way, could anyone send my an actual link where I can get a relatively cheap new Li-po?Thanks all and that was a pleasure to be here again.D.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 AM
brunobl

demenicis,

Rio, eh? My hometown!

You can get LiPos at very attractive prices from HobbyKing, have you tried them? The downside is that shipping & customs clearance takes almost forever.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:07 AM
oops

Hi All,

First, my apologies to anyone who doesn't like seeing really old threads returned. It was around 2005 when I last posted, and after the controversy of the 32mm chord clip, I wandered off and forgot about the forum ( I was the original proposer of cutting the Walkera thick blades down to 32mm chord, which allowed FFF, improved handling and eliminated stability problems at the time ). It was so long ago, I kind of forgot how much effort I was putting into these things at the time.

Anyway, I was cleaning up, and the #4 was sitting on the shelf, and I thought, I wonder if it still works? Plugged it into a battery the wrong way around and promptly fried it, with big flames. Shelved it and got ready to chuck it, while deciding I still wanted a small heli around the place in case I wanted some fun. Built up a Century pro CP, but missed the old Walkera 4. And by the time I built a new heli, I had a complete set of equipment left over and a broken #4.

So I pulled it apart, removed the scorched board, rebuild with some FETs out of a laptop carcass and repaired it. The skids are missing, the tail boom is cracked and twisted, and the blades well worn ( I never broke another set of blades after the 32mm mod ) - but, damn, it flew... Straight up into a good hover, in wind, with some dodgy servo's I was about to chuck and although the trim was messed up, it flew nicely and very stable.

I was wondering if anyone still had their Walkera #4's and took them down to fly once in a while?

Regards
David.