Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro's all the way!
47.76%
Electrics by far!
22.39%
Both are great!
29.85%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

electric vs. nitro

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:55 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric vs. nitro

Will the RC10GT spin out all the time with that kind of power though?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

Will the RC10GT spin out all the time with that kind of power though?

You just have to learn to handle it but it would be wicked fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to try one in either my HPI Rush or my HPI MT1 Racer. They only thing I would worry about is if the drive train can handle it. I guess I will find out one day. I have seen people put big blocks in there MT. Now that they sell much better drive train for the MT I do not thing it would be a problem in a MT not sure about the RC10GT as I never owned one but I have thought about it. [8D]
Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 PM
46u

My Savage weighs a little over 11 pounds and the 4.6 engine is rated at 2.9hp. Now take a vehicle that weighs less then 5 pounds and is running an engine that is putting out 2.28 hp and revs up to 42,500 rpm. Could nitro get to be as fast as others?
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2110.html
Old 06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
IBrakeForNobody

Okay...I think the RC10GT is perfect. I already have a electric so ya, time for a nitro. [>:] I think I'll just get the .18CV-X because I don't wanna spin out or go too fast. Thanks for the advice, guys!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:44 PM
46u

I think you will be happy with the OS .18 CV-RX. I have the OS .15 CV-RX and have been happy with it. I have developed a small problem with mine it has gotten hard to start but runs great after I get it started. I am resealing it and putting all new o-rings in the carbourator. Hope this fixes it. I all so have my MT Racer taken apart for my gallon and a half maintenance and cleaning. I am all so up grading to a MT2 front end.

Let us know how you like it when you get it.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Fly-n-3D

Electric is the way 2 go.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM
IBrakeForNobody

another dilemma [X(]...can't decide between a .12, .15, or .18 engine (all OS) I read some stuff that the .12 is very fast and its race legal, but the .18 is one you can pull wheelies and dragrace good with...the .15 from what I heard (at the LHS track) is just a leaned out .12...
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM
r40

i would like to see some pics of those electric's and nitro's just to get an idea of what every body's running. maybe if we see what every body's running then maybe we can understand why they are for electric, or for nitro.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:43 PM
IBrakeForNobody

i would like to see some pics of those electric's and nitro's just to get an idea of what every body's running. maybe if we see what every body's running then maybe we can understand why they are for electric, or for nitro.
AirRusty...nitro, converts to electric in 5 mins.

Hopups:

OS .40 LA
RPM Clawz (not pictured)
Proline Masher 2000s (not pictured)
Proline Speed Hawgs
Wide pede mod
3PM-FM radio
S3004 brake servo
custom engine mount unit
S-10 fuel tank
custom aluminum wing bar
custom fuel tubing
Du-Bro spinner
Dynamite failsafe

Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: r40
Here are "most" of them.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
r40

that is absolutely sweet. what scale is that Dale Earnhardt nascar on your top shelf, i would really like some details on that car, the monster truck vette is pretty nice too, that is amazing collection of r/c and die cast cars.
p.s i think those 2 corvette's on the bottom shelf deserve a higher spot on the shelf, lol
Old 06-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Tricksligger

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

Holy moly batman!!!! Nice collection!!!

I loved electric when I was in it....13 years ago So not being in it since all the advancements I cant honestly say anything bad about electric besides run time.

Ive only been into Nitro's for a little over a year and I cant ever see myself going back to electric exclusively. I may get a mini-t electric or something. But the smell, sound, snd speed of Nitro is addicting. I am enjoying Nitro far more than I ever enjoyed electric. Some of that may because I have money now and am more patient than before.

To me going from electric to nitro was like going from a 27'' TV to a 60'' HD plasma. You can watch football on both, but one is good one is super-fantastic. I think if I had to go back to electric it be like going back to a 13'' b&W TV. I could still watch football but it would suck.[]

Old 06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: r40
that is absolutely sweet. what scale is that Dale Earnhardt nascar on your top shelf, i would really like some details on that car, the monster truck vette is pretty nice too, that is amazing collection of r/c and die cast cars.
p.s i think those 2 corvette's on the bottom shelf deserve a higher spot on the shelf, lol
That is a 1/4 scale WCM. It has a Zenoah engine, uses a spark plug, and runs on gasoline mixed with oil. The monster truck vette is a Traxxas T-Maxx with a Sirio 3.0. The one yellow corvette is actually a Yokomo YRX-12WE with a Radio Shack body mounted on it. By the way, those are not die cast cars--those are all R/Cs (Kyosho Mini-Zs, Iwavers, Xmod, etc.). A few are not shown in that photo.
ORIGINAL: Tricksligger
Holy moly batman!!!! Nice collection!!!
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 AM
qazx98948

nitro has always done well for me. i have not owned an electric but i know a guy who has a xxx-t and it is a blast to drive. but theres nothing like the sound the motor makes after slamming on the gas, seeing and smelling the blue smoke exiting the pipe. sure, electrics are quicker off the line and on occasion a bit faster, but imo when you compare electric to nitro you are comparing apples and oranges. two different breeds of rc's that are a blast to drive. if someone beat my buggy with an electric, it definetely would not convince me to ditch nitro and switch over to electric completely. only thing i do not like about electric is the charging of the batteries and the run times. nitro, you just add gas and go. but when you just want some quick fun for a good 7 minutes, you just plug in the battery and go.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: qazx98948
only thing i do not like about electric is the charging of the batteries and the run times. nitro, you just add gas and go. but when you just want some quick fun for a good 7 minutes, you just plug in the battery and go.
Let's see.... Right now, my starter box battery is charging; my glow pug ignitor is charging; and I've already charged my receiver battery. Meanwhile, two lipos are already charged for one of my eletrics. However, if I was going to run the gasoline/oil mix cars, I would only need to charge the receiver batteries.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:35 AM
46u

One question can you seal an electric motor to run in the snow and mud like you can with nitro? Of coarse you have to seal the receiver by putting it in a balloon as well as sealing the servos but the engine you do nothing but make sure you keep your air filter clean. Seems like if you have an electric and you seal the motor it would get to hot.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Although I haven't tried it since I live in a desert and haven't made my own mud holes, I've seen numerous photos of 1/28th scale electric monster trucks running in the snow and mud. However, I don't think they sealed the motor. After all, I've done electric motor break-ins by dipping the electric motors in water and running them.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

Although I haven't tried it since I live in a desert and haven't made my own mud holes, I've seen numerous photos of 1/28th scale electric monster trucks running in the snow and mud. However, I don't think they sealed the motor. After all, I've done electric motor break-ins by dipping the electric motors in water and running them.

This is why I asked because I did not know. Yes I do know about water dipping break in but clean water is a big difference then mud. If it works great. Still seems to me mud getting in a electric motor would not be good and would quickly wear the motor out. I do have one off road electric I run around my yard the Kyosho Mini-Z mad force. But I would never run it in mud. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
lacrosedan

I am a nitro fan these days. Growing up I had electric cars "The Frog" and "The Big Wig". I always had problems with the speed controller. I hear they have come a long way since the 1980s. Also the running time was about 7 minutes. Nitro cars run much longer plus you just take a pit stop and re-fuel while the engine is running.
Both type of cars were fun to build. There aren't enough kits out there anymore. What is with the RTR craze?
Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is with the RTR craze? Pure lazyness.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: lacrosedan

I am a nitro fan these days. Growing up I had electric cars "The Frog" and "The Big Wig". I always had problems with the speed controller. I hear they have come a long way since the 1980s. Also the running time was about 7 minutes. Nitro cars run much longer plus you just take a pit stop and re-fuel while the engine is running.
Both type of cars were fun to build. There aren't enough kits out there anymore. What is with the RTR craze?

I AGREE NOT ENOUGH KITS OUT THERE AND RTR IS POOR! I guess they make more money selling the RTR as you end up with more parts to buy!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:57 PM
r40

yea, there should be more kits. when you think about it all the manufacturer has to do is not assemble the car and put the parts in a box and sell it for a little less then a rtr. I would go for the kit as opposed to the rtr in a second.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:04 AM
r40

lets see some more pics