Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

3W to DA

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 09:45 AM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3W to DA

I was skeptical a bit about the xtreme, but after running it, its all that the hype is about.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:29 PM
flyinrazrback

Went out flying today and put the menz 28x10 on the front. Motor is on gallon number 2 and lawnboy. It rips the 28x10 just as hard as the 27x10 and very, very loud! I cant wait to see this motor in 15 more gallons or so broken in on amsoil. Wish I had the clearance for a 29x10. I give this motor a big thumbs up [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-02-2004, 05:50 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

Went out flying today and put the menz 28x10 on the front. Motor is on gallon number 2 and lawnboy. It rips the 28x10 just as hard as the 27x10 and very, very loud! I cant wait to see this motor in 15 more gallons or so broken in on amsoil. Wish I had the clearance for a 29x10. I give this motor a big thumbs up [sm=thumbup.gif]
Flyinraz- I am at about the same point as you are. Boy the 110 looks small compared to others, doesn't it! So far there has not been a lot of complaints about it, so I guess that means it must be earning its strips. There must be a few hundred out there by now.
The other good point is, with all that power you can loose even more weight by not having to add a tuned system if your plane is slightly heavy.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
flyinrazrback

You are right. But to keep in it line with this thread, like I have said, I have had all 3 of the 100cc engines and am/was pleased with each one with no complaints.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: JLB

Otter,

Ok ok, you convinced me. I keep hearing about all the power the 106's have and
that's a magic word to me. However, if it doesn't run, I guess all the power
in the world doesn't matter. I can honestly say that my DA and every one
my flying buddies own have not given a moments problem and we can't
say that for the 3W's. Thanks for your help, the way is clear. Guess I needed
to hear it one more time.

If your mind is changed that easily you are falling for the same BS many do. The 106 is an excellent engine. I have set up and tuned 3 so far and each ran flawlessly out of the box. Many gallons later they are still running perfectly and producing more and more power with each gallon. The 3Ws have more power than the DA100, a smoother idle and overall they don't seem to vibrate as much.

If you have the 3W, keep it, you will LOVE it. Instead of listening to all the naysayers here.. find someone at your field who flies them and has a good working setup.

Those who have had problems with the so-called "soldered tubes" etc most likely used baffles in the cowls, did not vent their fuselage or had piped setups that were not tuned correctly.

I am not a 3W rep, but I do have several of the engines and just love the power and reliability. I also like the fact that they weigh a little more.. Extras and Caps have very long tail moments and invariable all end up tail heavy. The slight weight difference makes it easier to balance. All of my planes currently (4) have 3W engines in them. Not a single problem and I fly a LOT.

BTW - you won't hear me bad mouth DA either. I find 3W and DA a tossup as far as I'm concerned. They both are truly outstanding powerplants...

DP
Old 10-24-2004, 11:27 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If 3w's are soo bad then why do TOCers fly them?

I STILL dont have a motor due to my low bank account for my 36% but i havent ruled out the 3w.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There is not a TOC anymore..... Desert Aircraft engines were flown
by 9 of the top 10 Unlimited competitors!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:06 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

There is not a TOC anymore..... Desert Aircraft engines were flown
by 9 of the top 10 Unlimited competitors!

That's interesting and all... but the real winner of the shootout this year (replaced the TOC) overall is QQ.. at least in the points.. hmm he flies a 3W. He took second overall in unlimited and first in freestyle. I don't know if he actually "won" the shootout. If everyone botched the tailslide he probably would have won both... but Frazier was impeccable in every round and he hit the 'slide' so you can't knock the judges for giving him first... !

QQ did outfly everyone though, at least in this amatuers opinion He was amazing and I am not saying that because I fly 3W! Obviously the judges thought so too for the most part.. .damn tailslides..

I fly what I like and don't listen to the noise. 3W has been great for me, and most of the others people I know who own them. I will never fly as good as any TOC / Shootout competitor - NOR WILL MOST OF US.. or we'd be there ourselves. So does it really matter who flies what and who wins with what? If Chip hyde started running Zenoahs in his planes would you all jump over... ?? Probably..??

Mario Andretti drove a Ferrari... I didn't buy a Ferrari to be "like Mario"... I just happen to like them.
I don't buy DA or 3W to be "like Mike" or "like QQ"...

Not trying to slam anyone.. I just think its funny that so many people are guided by hype and advertising.

DA makes an excellent engine - I doubt its better than 3W, but I will probably put one on MY next project anyway...I owe it to myself to try one... not because of ads and who flies it though.....

Time to go fire up my 3W and go flying....
DP
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 PM
famousdave

On a sad note... Quique lost his father Sunday. He learned about it just before he flew on Sunday.

It is a really hard time in life when you lose a parent, and even more so in the South American culture - family there is central to everything. To be as composed and still be able to maintain the concentration it took to fly the unlimited sequences and freestyle .. let alone win them... well, I find it downright inspiring.

He stole the show IMO... probably for his father.
DP
Old 10-25-2004, 03:56 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salutations to Quique and his beloved father. I'm sure he flew with his father well in hand/mind...

FWIW: The last TOC was embellished with a pretty even mix of 3W/DA. In fact of the top ten finishers there were five 3W and five DA's!

I to believe that either engine is world class. We have several of each brand and find them both to work well. To say one was better than the other would be a misnomer IMO. I have little to no trouble with either brand and find that for the most part modelers have issues with tuning verses any other problem. That and the need to over tighten things!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:24 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

I was at the Don Lowe Masters too and Quique outflew everyone there. His freestyle was awsome. I was wondering if you niticed the fact that Queque's engine seemed to run more rpm than anyone else's and also seemed to spool up much faster. At least it seemed that way to me. I didn't get to see what prop he was using but his engine ran crisp and clean with outstanding throttle response.

I've had two 3W's. One was the old 100 and now the 106. I never had a problem with the old one until I knocked a jug off in a crash (pilot error) and the 106 has given me no problems either.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Ultimate 2003

What you don't understand good sir is the sheer fact that I may be sponsored by Desert Aircraft, however if you actually were there you would know that QuiQue won second place and I won third in Unlimited. QuiQue won the Freestyle. I have been flying very good this year, and I attribute much of what I know to flying with QuiQue for the past 8 years. Don't slap DA in the face for doing a good deed in sponsoring this event, nor slap the judges in the face for their time and effort in judging an already difficult event. Michael and many others have put a lot and time and effort in this event and for you to jump to conclusions is precisely why your thought process needs modification. Please don't put down my name or sponsors, especially when your facts are not true.
QuiQue did deserve to win the Free and he did just that. He deserved to take second in Unlimited and he did that as well.
Mark Leseberg Jr.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:53 PM
famousdave

Sorry Mark - no disrespect meant to you or DA. You all flew incredibly well and you are right.. the sponsors are to be commended, not scourned.

I just get a bit tired of all the wannabees following the leaders..just because they fly a particular brand and then backstabbing those of us who fly the "other brand" because the TOC / Shootout winners fly something else..

I won't be an unlimited competitor, at least not in my lifetime, and I doubt most of the whiners won't be either, yet the discussions go on and on about this subject.

I would put good money on a bet that says you or any of your fellow competitors would fly the same and with the same excellent success no matter if you were flying DA or 3W or whatever - and that is the point I was trying to get across if not in the best of ways. You are not who you are as a pilot because of what brand you fly.

lastly - I did not suggest you were the winner of the shootout overall (my ref was to your national title - congrats by the way). The original score table I saw said that QuiQeu won 1st in free and 3rd in Unlimited. I see that the table on DA website has QuiQue as second.. I stand corrected. I left the competition before the awards and before all was totaled up. I apologize for my incorrect data.

In this event is there an overall winner? QuiQue had the most overall points, but Frazier won the Unlimited.. does that mean that Frazier was the winner of the event.. its a bit confusing to us non-competitors..

Best of luck to you,
DP
Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 AM
3DMike

I cant believe you think Frazer bogan Briggs didn't deserve to win because of the tail-slides. Frazer can control the tail-slides pretty well and he has described to me just how he does it with precise timing with rudder/ elevator controls (if luck was involved he would have zerod one)
The maneuver has been in imac competitions including the toc for over a decade with many discussions on the merits/ problems and the luck factor. The important thing is they are still their and I doubt will be removed. Frazer is a much better pilot that the US crowd give him credit for. Just remember we have only 3 unlimited pilots in New Zealand and Frazer is one of them. Put that in perspective, hes done a huge thing!!

About to who won, QQ won the freestyle competition with bogan second and bogan won the imac unlimited. If they were combined, which they are not, the freestyle would have had a lower weighting than the known/ unknown meaning bogan would have won but that is not how the competition works and I am sure QQ will cherish that freestyle he did for his father for the rest of his life.

Mark, I'm the same age as you and know just how good you are, well done on the placings mate and please!! tell me an easy way to reverse the high alpha at that bloody roll rate, you must be getting calluses on those fingers!! You should come over to New Zealand some time.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:11 PM
famousdave

3DMike... I wasn't saying Frazer didn't deserve to win.. because he missed the slides... He was one of few who nailed the tailslides perfectly.. He was essentially flawless, hence his well earned first in Unlimited..

I guess I am confused at who exactly is the "overall" winner. Perhaps QQ and Frazer tied!!

DP
Old 10-26-2004, 05:04 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

because he missed the slides... He was one of few who nailed the tailslides perfectly.
I wonder if you could have some kinda of lead weight on a trck inside the fuse and when you go up for a slide you hit a switch and the weight slides to the back of the airplane making it extremely tail heavy for a moment?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:24 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

Yep, Just bought my third 3W engine (a 75US) for my H9Edge. There are 5 3w's in our club and all are strong as HE!!. Like I said earlier-about 75-80% of the stuff you hear here is complete HORSE-DUMP. Listen to the people like MGLAVIN and a few others-they do know what they're talking about.

I thought about getting a DA150 for my aerotech Ex260-but I want to swing the big prop-so I stayed with 3W

Probably gonna buy another one later too.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:04 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: FormerCA.

I thought about getting a DA150 for my aerotech Ex260-but I want to swing the big prop-so I stayed with 3W

Whats this mean? How big of a prop you talking about?