Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

My IBox Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

My IBox Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
dicko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My IBox Build

Definitely put the trim tabs up a bit on the transom like Lildude said. But if you plan on racing it make sure you keep them no higher than 2mm. The Aussie rules limit it to 2mm above or below the transom intersect.

http://www.ampba.asn.au/pdf/Ampba%20...27-09-2007.pdf

rule 7.2.2-C

1/16th is about 1.5mm, so that'd be fine.

From the research I've done for Crackerbox setups, you want to set the top of your stuffing tube 1/4 inch below the hull and use a skegged strut, 1 right hand turn fin & place the trailing edge of the skeg 1 - 1.5 inches in front of your balance point which should be about 33 - 34%. Some people run the skeg in the centre, some run them offset 4mm to the right. A lot of people run the Skeg offset to the right too. Your trim tabs should be curled up on the left to stop roll overs and the left hand chine should be chamfered to 1/4 inch at 45* tapering to zero about 10 inches from the stern.

Hope that helps

Some of the guys racing crackers might like to chime in as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:21 PM
nooh

Thanks for the info dicko but this boat is just for fun, Im still trying to get my Jordo up to speed but thats been put on hold till I finished this build, And Mart I might grab Tonys email of you later on, might just give it a few more days and see what happens first, And lildude2599 thanks m8, I got them about that already.

Henry.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 AM
jeff_c

Hey m8 I just popped in to see how the boats progressing. You don't muck about do you? It's looking great. I'm glad it's going well for you. It won't be long & you'll be on to the next one.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Dartman1074

Boat looks great, You will have this thing done in no time at all.. Still looking foward to the paint job. Keep up the good work.

Tim
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM
nooh

ORIGINAL: Dartman1074

Boat looks great, You will have this thing done in no time at all.. Still looking foward to the paint job. Keep up the good work.

Tim
Hi Tim.

Trying another windscreen today, Will finish installing the rest of the hardware tomorrow, then take it all off again, and maybe might get a coat of paint on tomorrow as well, and come Sunday will be a bit colorful I hope.

Henry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33744.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1122819  
Old 01-30-2009, 02:05 AM
nooh

Oi me again. Busy afternoon.

Engine in temporary while I marked my exit point for the tube, new windshield added and all epoxyed and taped. And now have a question, maybe craig might help, can you or someone tell me with this cooper pipe ( I think it is) Do I measure from the beginning of the cone back to the header if so then this pipe will fit in the boat just nice, Remember this a fun boat and not for speed .

thanks Henry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84345.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1122897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70603.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1122898   Click image for larger version

Name:	He97462.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1122899  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 PM
nooh

Paintwork just about done, needs a touch up here and there, then I can give it a light sand then I can clear coat the whole boat.
Air outlet at the back are just sitting there temporary, and still working on my plastic engine cover, mmmm the plastics giving me a bit of trouble shall see how I go..

Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 AM
foodstick

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I really like the lines of your design in that last shot, it looks great, and that will be the angle you will mostly see it in the water..nice job. I am really starting to think I might want to do a windshield splash guard myself now...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Dartman1074

Your boat looks great. I also like the lines. Cant wait to see the clear on it..
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Henry i cant wait to see this thing with some clear on you did a great job with it .
Mart
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Dartman1074

Are those top secret trim tabs? I looked on there site but didint see any there. I hope they will get them back instoc soon... Did you get the boat cleared? I installed my skeg and rudder today. top secret has really nice parts.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 AM
nooh

All finished, mmmmm The painting that is, Now during the week I can start getting her ready. still waiting on a few bits and pieces to finish her so won't be long now she will be in the water.
And sorry Tim I don't know the make of the turn fins I just ordered them from Oz rc boat supplies told Col to throw everything in a box and send them up.

And still working on the plastic engine cover, this one came out a little warped but will use it to see if it will take the heat from the engine and pipe, should do with the air scoops that will go on, And have to make a bigger Air scoop to go over the engine and if it all goes ok then I will make a better engine cover, um take my time and try not to hurry too much lol

Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 AM
MrMikeG

Looks great Henry, there aren't any rules for crackers over here yet so just make it go fast!
Colin was away racing this weekend so it might take him so time to recover!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

Looks great Henry, there aren't any rules for crackers over here yet so just make it go fast!
Colin was away racing this weekend so it might take him so time to recover!
He can have all the time in the world to recover m8, after he sends up my bits to finish off the boat LOL.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 AM
STEVE MARSHALL

Looks great mate, hit it wet with some 1200 grit paper and then clear it, sand it agan and then another coat, Is the yellow paint or pinstripe??

Keep the photos coming,
Steve
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
nooh

ORIGINAL: STEVE MARSHALL

Looks great mate, hit it wet with some 1200 grit paper and then clear it, sand it agan and then another coat, Is the yellow paint or pinstripe??

Keep the photos coming,
Steve

No more painting steve thats it, I give it 3 coats of clear already looks shiny enough for me, and the yellow is paint not pinstripe.
Next few days will start putting in all the hardware, engine, and radio gear, I was hoping maybe to get her wet this week-end but looks like it might be next week now before she goes on her maiden.

Henry.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 AM
nooh

Update on the boat, Most of the hardware is mounted, except the skeg strut, (still waiting on it to arrive) when i get that then i can install the tube, Engine and pipe are in, still need to do the radio box yet, but hoping next week the boat will get wet.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
nooh

Hi Everybody.

Just a few more pics of my Ibox. Just about finished, still a little radio work to do along with some other small jobs but not far away till launch.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:24 AM
MrMikeG

Nice, you might want some flotation on your engine cover though, or possibly a lanyard strap so you don't loose it!
New prop looks good too, 2614/3?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 AM
STEVE MARSHALL

Nice Mate, and it's right hand drive
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Henry she looks really good,as Mike said put some floatation on the engine cover a cpl of strips of balsa will do,paint em first then super glue them to the cover underneath or you could use a cpl of strips cut off a poole noodle and silicone them to it.Dont forget to leave a gap between the dog and the strut i cant see much of one in the pic.
Mart
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 AM
nooh

Mike I still got the fiddlys bits to do yet, like the lanyard ect ect,
as for the prop its the one from my rio all it has on it is grimracer. will see how it goes, I have a prop shop 7016/3 what you think about that one m8.

steve has to be right hand drive m8 hey. lol

Thank mart for the advice, but this engine cover is just the test one am going to see how it goes with the heat from the engine and pipe if its ok then i will make a better one. and as for the strut im going to swap it over for a skeg one as soon as It comes so might be why you see no gap.

So hoping very soon to get her wet, been 6 weeks now.

Thanks everybody

Henry.