Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEDEX MD-11 CRASH @ TOKYO (IN THE MORNING TOKYO TIME ) VIDEO ...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEDEX MD-11 CRASH @ TOKYO (IN THE MORNING TOKYO TIME ) VIDEO ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FEDEX MD-11 CRASH @ TOKYO (IN THE MORNING TOKYO TIME ) VIDEO ...

Wonder If their were any R/C Jets onboard in transit? Maybe Skymaster of FEM?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Captainbob
My Feedback: (4)

drdoom,

How thoughtful. Two people lost their lives and you're worried about the cargo!!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Closing this one gentlemen...............Opssssssssssssssssssssssss s..... I can not do it any more.

May the SOUL OF THOSE THAT LOST THEIR life in this accident rest in Peace.

I think it is about time this thread is locked. JMOHO
Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Bryce, I thought you were gonna list all your RC airplanes under your name instead of the full scales, that would have been the icing on the cake. Take care buddy, and I get what you're posting.
, I can't remember them all. One thing I know is that even if I could, my accomplishments are no where near those who AREN'T talking. I just could never understand why people start threads in this forum based off of full scale accidents. I'm sure there more than enough forums out there where such topics are discussed by all of the "experts".

If anything, this entire thread shows just how much so many Don't know. Full scale aviation is no joke and losses no matter how small, are large and heartfelt by all of us who understand what it's really like. The one thing that is completely useless, definitely in this the RCJet forum, is to speculate on what the cause of full-scale accident was or what the pilot(s) or crew should have done to change the outcome of their misfortune, nobody that I know of in this field intentionally looks to have an accident, incident or even a close call. The variables of what we go through in aviation are just too complex for anything less than giving your best effort at all times with everything one has learned throughout the years in this never ending lesson of aviation experience.

I like to browse this forum for the valuable input I see from so many regarding something most if not all of us on here do to either relax, compete or dream about with passion........remote control jets. We all come from many different backgrounds, professions, countries etc., but most if not all of us here enjoy reading about what others have shared or are working on which is related to RCJets, I know I certainly do.

The misconstrued meanings and contexts of many of the posts are sure to be taken lightly as I'm sure nobody intentionally comes on here to start trouble, or at least I would hope not. Life is definitely too short and this past-time way too much fun for any of that.

I'll get back to building plastic models of whatever remote control jet I'm supposed to be making in an effort to get Grandpa to once again attend another jet show as he has said he would do if I pull this off. One plane however that's not on his list was a F-111. Hmmmm, that's a plane that was flown in the U.S. Airforce and it's even variable sweep and was a chase plane for the B-1 during testing. Wonder if I should surprise him with something he wasn't expecting[8D]..............then again on second thought, maybe not, wouldn't want to see that look he had on his face when he saw me flying that little Blade MCX helicopter around instead of building. Guess I better stick to his list. The 111 is pretty cool though......

Never know when Grandpa is liable to show up as he frequently does whenever he knows that I'm in town, as I mentioned earlier he's always has a ton of jokes that he just seems to make up out of thin air that are really funny. "We always laughed and kept each other entertained during the war, that's what I believe got us through everything." Is what he always likes to say. When I was taking a picture yesterday of he and I with a bunch of models from his list on the table, I set the timer on the camera and was going to go take a seat behind him because he said, "You get in some of these pictures with me, because you're making me feel lonely." So as I'm going to get in the picture he says "Let me turn my hat around backwards so you can see where you're going!" Then he says, "You know what's going to happen if you don't build these models right?" so I'm like "What?" and he says "Nothing" two seconds later the camera took the picture. One day earlier I was over at his house taking more pictures with him outside after helping him bring some things in from the car when he says, "I need to start getting ready for spring out here in the yard, replace the flags and what not." (He put's new ones up like every season) So I said, "Yea speaking of which, let me get a picture of you by the flags." So he goes over by the garage and gives me this salute and I took a picture, then I go walking away and look back and he's still standing there at attention with this salute. So I said, "What's going on with you?" and he's like "I feel cold, can't move, fingers tingly." and he has a straight face, so I'm like "Are you serious??" And he's says "You get to be my age and everything's serious, now get over here and take another picture before I put my arm down." and he bust out laughing. I was laughing so hard I couldn't even take a clear picture, but I got it.

Take it light everyone, lets try to enjoy what we can here on the RCjets forum in our little area of a very serious world.

Bryce

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84771.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1165909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30817.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1165910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92006.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1165911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf100000.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1165912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65298.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1165913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21709.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1165914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80261.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1165915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82946.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1165916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75482.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1165917  
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryce,

Thanks for continuing to guide this thread in a positive manner.

It was great meeting your grandfather at Kentucky Jets 2 years ago.

Bob
Old 03-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Bryce,

Thanks for continuing to guide this thread in a positive manner.

It was great meeting your grandfather at Kentucky Jets 2 years ago.

Bob
No prob, Thanks Bob.
Stay Well
Bryce
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the things I learned early on when acting as FAA liason to the NTSB when I was at LA Center was roughly 95% of initial observation and comment should be thrown out the window. Actually, it's worse than that since those comments can taint an investigation.

Bags has it right. 2 people are dead, and comments and armchair nonsense here is disrespectful. Let investigators do the investigating. You simply cannot assess the situation with any accuracy by watching a youtube video.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: highhorse

ORIGINAL: Silver182

Again, I'm sorry for this and other loses at FedEx in recent years. But and here it comes … Get off your high horse highhorse; Yep FedEx is out there every night haling the freight..Thanks for doing that dirty job FedEx!

In my humble opinion the aviation division at FedEx has a problem, and it needs fixing! If it were my responsibility all MD-11’s and more importantly the pilots who drive the 11’s for FedEx would be grounded. Grounded until every pilot for FedEx went through several check rides with me, I assure you those check rides would be like no other they have ever flown! The pilots who failed my screening would be looking for work somewhere else. No speculation here!
Lee
Your selfless offer share your broad, deep expertise, as well as your humble opinion with FedEx, the operator of the largest MD-11 fleet in the entire world, is touching. I'm sure the families of the deceased, the FAA, NTSB, ICAO, ALPA and the rest of the alphabet soup who have been putting their best minds at work for years to solve the issues surrounding the MD-11 will be grateful for your input.

Perhaps, rather than simply critiquing our performance, you'd graciously DEMONSTRATE the proper techniques for us all? I'm sure you'd amaze and astound us with your magic hands as we quake with fear at the mere prospect of living up to your example.

Assuming, that is, that you could even get the engines started.

I propose April 1 for the demo, how's ur schedule?
Your on,
Your check flight is going to be very simple! I don’t need to know how to start the engines or any other flight deck detail. Those details are your problem! In fact I don’t want to get near the MD 10 / 11 it is a poorly designed aircraft and should have been grounded years ago!

I’m going to be your LSO, except I’m not going to give you any help or wave offs. You can bring along the best 1st officer / copilot of your choice. He or she must keep his hands off of the flight controls during your three touch-n-goes! To conserve fuel you can be hauling freight for FedEx if you like.

April 1st is a go! Your check flight must include three touch-n-goes using US airport FTG runway 35-17. Your first touch down must be with in 2 minutes of 5:30 p.m MDT April 1st 2009. Your company and or you must make arrangements with the airport to make this happen! Consider that detail part of your check flight)

Wind direction nor weather, is of concern to me. In fact you request three touch-n-goes using either 35 or 17. If the wind is out of the North or South count yourself lucky. If the wind is a direct crosswind you tell the tower no problem.. We are here for crosswind landing practice! Wind from the West above 40 mph is what I’m hoping for! Remember this portion of the check flight is required; you cannot use any alternate runways or airports.

The main landing gear tires must touch down no more than 1000 feet from the runway threshold each time. I will be taping your approach and touchdowns. You blow the 1000-foot distance and you agree to ground yourself! If your tires almost blow themselves away, the way they did in upon first touchdown of your companys bird at Narita you agree to ground yourself! I don’t want to see anything but smooth squared away touchdowns. I will judge your landings 1 – 10. You agree to ground yourself if your score is 25 or less.

I don't need nor want to know about your problems on the flight deck, all any person needs to see is the result lying on the runway upside down burning!

I do feel badly for those two FedEx pilots, their familes and for that matter all others who must fly that aircraft daily. I believe there must be something wrong with the Airfreight community, FedEx specifically for continuing to operate a proven dangerous aircraft. The DC 10 / 11 has one of the poorest safety records of any wide body / heavy aircraft ever built.
Good Luck with your check flight, and by the way.. I’ll let everyone here know the results of your check flight. I’ll even post the video here!
Lee H. DeMary

Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

This may help back up my speculation... speclation bullsh*t open your eyes this is a death trap..really a death trap!

The McDonnell Douglas MD-11:
What kind of accident/incident history does it have?
The MD-11, manufactured by the McDonnell Douglas Co., is a derivative of the DC-10. Less than 190 MD-11s have been built, making it a commercial failure. Boeing, who bought out McDonnell Douglas, is shutting down the production line in the near future. Its low sales volume has been attributed to the competition from twin-engine airliners. Undoubtedly that was a factor, but I suspect the previous bad design/accident history of the DC-10 also had a significant effect on airline management purchase decisions.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/faq9.htm
Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give it up Lee. You are bringing a knife to a gunfight...........No, it's a tweezers to a nuclear war! I HAD some respect for you, but not anymore. As a modeler since 1970 and a Part 121 Captain for a major air carrier with in excess of 14000 hrs, mostly in part 25 jets, I can safely say with full confidence that you are WAY off base and you insult my profession immensely.........BTW I have done touch and goes in Boeings and Airbuses from both seats..........Additionally, I have almost been killed in a Cessna riding in back while a "Flight Instructor of the Year" dicked up his cross-wind technique...........

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Bryce Watson
Banned

I think the coolest model airliners I've ever seen were the DC-10's that Eddie Weeks had, I believe they were all foam too! Anyone have a picture of those?

Alright, I'm off to work, I give up.

B

Composite version
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89366.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1166353  
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 AM
craigdyer

Where's a moderator when you need one?...Please close this thread...everyone has had their say...I have not seen a constructive post since page 2. What has this un-constructive banter got to do with model jet opertation...Fair go guys give it a rest!!!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Couch Potato

ORIGINAL: craigdyer
Where's a moderator when you need one
Looks like they are an endangered species.
Top of jet forum in the "stickies"
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/announcement.asp?id=471
Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Lee, stick to Radios, that's where you shine bud! I do catch your sarcasm, but you gotta read hard to find it.

I hate to be a fair weather friend.

Sean
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thread has wandered way of course and I am closing it down. Thanks Dave