Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 01:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 166 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm afraid that my Sky Rider is a triumph of form over function, There's nothing wrong with the design but I accidentally incorporated a twist into the wings when joining them together so that one wing is at a higher angle of attack than the other. Being a notorious cheapskate, rather than buying new TE stock for the ailerons I used what I had. As a result, the ailerons are too small. I really need to build another wing for this model but other projects, housework and gardening get in the way.

I have just come up from the workshop where I have been making good some defects on the Mystic. I had originally fitted two standard size servos in the rear fuselage but this affected the c of g so adversely that I had to transfer them to a more conventional position. This left me with two servo-sized holes in the rear fuselage and the rectangle I cut out for the new pushrod was too big. I have spent the last hour filling them with scrap 1/8" (3mm) balsa.

While I was working on this model I started to reflect on how many fliers in my club actually build models as opposed to buying ARTFs. OK even I have a couple of ARTFs but I gain much more satisfaction from seeing something I've built flying through the sky.

1. Roger the club's president can build very well but rarely brings one of his creations to the field. If he brings a model it is usually the club's ARTF trainer or his ARTF electric glider. Frequently he turns up without a model at all and simply chats to people and offers advice.

2. Francois, a retired ship's engineer, does build and has several projects on the go including an SE5a and a four engined aircraft, however, most of his models are electric powered ARTFs. He is an exclusively an electric flier.

3. Alain can build but most of his models are electric ARTFs.

4. Gilbert ditto. He has a few i/c powered models but rarely flies them.

5. Gerard Desrier does build but he flies ARTFs too. His latest creation is an electric powered Tiger Moth. He also has a Fokker DVII.

6. Gerard van der Meulin only electric ARTFs mostly foamies.

7. Michell electric ARTF foamies.

8 and 9. Erwan and his son Hubert, the best pilots in the club, can build but frequently buy models already built from estate sales.

10. Thierry exclusively a builder and four-stroke enthusiast! His wife died a few years ago and he has found a new love. His mother disapproves. Thierry works in Paris, so we haven't seen him for some time.

11. Dan, exclusively a builder! He has a nice Fokker DVII in Swiss colours powered by a Laser four stroke engine.

12. Ludo builds beautiful models mostly i/c powered which betray his trade. He works for the local VW agency as a panel beater /paint sprayer.

13. Benoit can build but after he crashed his Baron he has resorted to flying electric powered ARTFs. He is a housebuilder and is currently restoring a house for the family to live in. Both he and Ludo are the fathers of little girls so have limited time at the flying field.

14. Eric, exclusively ARTF foamies which he rarely flies.

15. Patrick as per Eric. Both he and Eric are keen amateur cooks, Eric even trained as a chef when younger. Both do most of the cooking at club dinners and barbeques. Eric and I vie with each other in wine appreciation!

16. Jean-Guy can build, rarely flies but when he does it's an ARTF. I refer to Eric, Patrick and Jean-Guy as "penguins" because they are often at the flying field but rarely fly even on a buddy box! Eric and Patrick are ok with this!

17. Guy a builder! Like Benoit a house builder by trade. He has come back to the hobby after being out of it for over thirty years and builds beautiful models.

18. Bertrand. Can build but prefers ARTF electric powered gliders or second hand models.

19. Frans, my protegé, loves to build but a nervous flier so we have a few repairs to do.

Ah well, housework calls!
Old 07-20-2024, 06:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 283 Likes on 245 Posts

Looks like a good solid roster of members!
Old 07-20-2024, 06:58 AM
easystar123

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I'm afraid that my Sky Rider is a triumph of form over function, There's nothing wrong with the design but I accidentally incorporated a twist into the wings when joining them together so that one wing is at a higher angle of attack than the other. Being a notorious cheapskate, rather than buying new TE stock for the ailerons I used what I had. As a result, the ailerons are too small. I really need to build another wing for this model but other projects, housework and gardening get in the way.

I have just come up from the workshop where I have been making good some defects on the Mystic. I had originally fitted two standard size servos in the rear fuselage but this affected the c of g so adversely that I had to transfer them to a more conventional position. This left me with two servo-sized holes in the rear fuselage and the rectangle I cut out for the new pushrod was too big. I have spent the last hour filling them with scrap 1/8" (3mm) balsa.

While I was working on this model I started to reflect on how many fliers in my club actually build models as opposed to buying ARTFs. OK even I have a couple of ARTFs but I gain much more satisfaction from seeing something I've built flying through the sky.

1. Roger the club's president can build very well but rarely brings one of his creations to the field. If he brings a model it is usually the club's ARTF trainer or his ARTF electric glider. Frequently he turns up without a model at all and simply chats to people and offers advice.

2. Francois, a retired ship's engineer, does build and has several projects on the go including an SE5a and a four engined aircraft, however, most of his models are electric powered ARTFs. He is an exclusively an electric flier.

3. Alain can build but most of his models are electric ARTFs.

4. Gilbert ditto. He has a few i/c powered models but rarely flies them.

5. Gerard Desrier does build but he flies ARTFs too. His latest creation is an electric powered Tiger Moth. He also has a Fokker DVII.

6. Gerard van der Meulin only electric ARTFs mostly foamies.

7. Michell electric ARTF foamies.

8 and 9. Erwan and his son Hubert, the best pilots in the club, can build but frequently buy models already built from estate sales.

10. Thierry exclusively a builder and four-stroke enthusiast! His wife died a few years ago and he has found a new love. His mother disapproves. Thierry works in Paris, so we haven't seen him for some time.

11. Dan, exclusively a builder! He has a nice Fokker DVII in Swiss colours powered by a Laser four stroke engine.

12. Ludo builds beautiful models mostly i/c powered which betray his trade. He works for the local VW agency as a panel beater /paint sprayer.

13. Benoit can build but after he crashed his Baron he has resorted to flying electric powered ARTFs. He is a housebuilder and is currently restoring a house for the family to live in. Both he and Ludo are the fathers of little girls so have limited time at the flying field.

14. Eric, exclusively ARTF foamies which he rarely flies.

15. Patrick as per Eric. Both he and Eric are keen amateur cooks, Eric even trained as a chef when younger. Both do most of the cooking at club dinners and barbeques. Eric and I vie with each other in wine appreciation!

16. Jean-Guy can build, rarely flies but when he does it's an ARTF. I refer to Eric, Patrick and Jean-Guy as "penguins" because they are often at the flying field but rarely fly even on a buddy box! Eric and Patrick are ok with this!

17. Guy a builder! Like Benoit a house builder by trade. He has come back to the hobby after being out of it for over thirty years and builds beautiful models.

18. Bertrand. Can build but prefers ARTF electric powered gliders or second hand models.

19. Frans, my protegé, loves to build but a nervous flier so we have a few repairs to do.

Ah well, housework calls!
Really enjoyed reading that piece on your club members David. Well put together and each club member nicely described. Very interesting.
Old 07-20-2024, 11:40 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

PS. For those unfamiliar with the Mystic this is what it looks like. I did not have the buttons this morning.

Old 07-20-2024, 10:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Your humble servant with ARTF Kyosho Calmato. The Irvine 46 is a bit feeble. I will try fitting an OS 46AX which I bought second hand for next to nothing.

Old 07-21-2024, 06:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

David, she is a good looking airplane!
Old 07-27-2024, 01:22 PM
Bhait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed it on other threads. Some are traveling, planning to travel, buying things, wrapping presents. Lots to be done, little time for modeling. I'm in the middle of a build but it is also going slow. 2018 is soon coming.
Old 07-28-2024, 09:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I flew both the Calmato and the club's Boomerang trainer yesterday. It was quite windy but both models coped with the wind well. I had installed two different engines into each model: an Enya 50 in the trainer and an OS 46 AX in the Calmato. It occurred to me that this was the first time that I had taken two ARTFs to the flying field though I recovered the fuselage and tail plane of the Boomerang last year because the original covering was so very scruffy and worn. Both models have tricycle undercarriages and both are powered by two stroke engines. It's been some time since I've used a two stroke engine. They chucked out a huge amount of oil all over the fuselages which made picking them up after flight while holding the transmitter quite difficult! I'd forgotten about how oily two stroke glows are. At least they're not diesels!

My dog enjoyed the day out but found the temperature a bit much so after playing with her friend Nasher she joined the human company in the shade. Has anybody else been flying?

PS. I borrowed the club's cg stand to test the centre of gravity on the Mystic, see above. It's fine provided I have the rx battery well forward.. I can glue the pilot into his cockpit and glue the canopy into position.

Tiko with Boomerang trainer before the fuselage and tail plane were recovered.

Your humble servant with Calmato in the Best Mate Stand. I am still getting used to the model.

Seagull Bommerang ARTF trainer with recovered fuselage and tailplane.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-29-2024 at 04:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

No flying here, today will be the coolest day this week it will be 98F/36.6C but feel like 106F/41C.
Old 07-29-2024, 06:07 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

David

That Calmato has a strong resemblance to the tiger! should be fun to fly.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

It's about 35C here so a bit hot. I usd to work on the Australian National Railway in temperatures topping 40C, but I was much younger then!
Old 07-29-2024, 12:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

It's about 35C here so a bit hot. I usd to work on the Australian National Railway in temperatures topping 40C, but I was much younger then!
Yeah, you wised up sone since then!
Old 07-30-2024, 03:40 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Ah but we had to work to get paid.
Old 07-30-2024, 04:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Ah but we had to work to get paid.
It's all your nasty habits like having food, clothing, shelter!
Old 07-30-2024, 08:10 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's all your nasty habits like having food, clothing, shelter!
We were given accommodation in the form of a railway carriage split laterally into five rooms with just enough space for a bed, a cupboard, a chair and a table. The cost of our food was deducted from our wages and we had to buy our own clothes!

Last night it was so warm here that I had to sleep on top of the duvet. This is the first time that I can recall doing this since my time on the ANR in Australia. Thunderstorms are predicted on Friday. They will cool the place down. Going flying later today.

Last edited by David John Davis; 07-30-2024 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2024, 04:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like Europe is seeing the same heatwave we are. I don't remember seeing in the past so many days with places reporting temperatures 46C+ and Death Valley hitting 55C!
Old 07-31-2024, 04:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

When I worked in the Victoria Desert of South Australia I could work comfortably in temperatures of up to 100F and with some effort up to 110F. Above 110F it was beyond a joke and I'll swear that I could tell the difference between a 110 degree day and a 111 degree day! Someone managed to listen to a weather forecast and told us tha it was going to be a "nice day" tomorrow. The wind was forecast to blow from the south, from Antarctica, and the maximum temperature would be 85F!
Old 07-31-2024, 05:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

How did you end up working on the railroad and how long did you do it?
Old 07-31-2024, 07:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I thought I would share what I saw in a banner on the website of an online hobby shop:"There’s a fine line between having a hobby and a mental illness"

Old 07-31-2024, 08:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
How did you end up working on the railroad and how long did you do it?

Long story short, I was travelling around the world. The governments of the UK, Australia, Canada, Ireland and New Zealand had an arrangement where any young person between the ages of 18 and 30 could legally work in any of the countries for a year but you were not allowed to claim state benefits. I found myself out of work and down to my last $30AUS when someone said that they were always taking on men on the Austrailian National Railway at Port Augusta. I arrived there on a Sunday afternoon, camped by the railway track and went to the personnel department first thing on Monday morning to be told the they only recruited on Tuesdays and Thursdays! I went back the next day, passed the medical and was accepted. My train didn't leave until the evening so I blew $10 on a "counter tea" and a couple of beers in an Australian pub. I worked there for over two years, initially on the track, later as the cook.

Pesky Kid was at the flying field yesterday showing us how it's done, inverted figures of eight for heaven's sake! He's got a new Radio Master transmitter. They are extremely good value for money. My Spektrum DX9 is rather battered and getting the spare parts is difficult. Of course you have to programme the Radio Master yourself and my IT skills are pretty basic but there are videos online which show you how to do it. Anybody got any experience of this transmitter?

As for the hobby causing mental illness, installing the elevator pushrod in the Mystic is driving me madf!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-31-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

The railroad must have like you to keep you an extra year. Sorry, I can't help with the radio I have never owned a Radio Master. Futaba is the only brand I have used since 2004 and I suck at programming too!
Old 08-01-2024, 08:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

You could apply to the Australian government for an extension to the visa. This was usually granted especially if you were working somewhere which wouldn't be the first choice of most Australians.
Old 08-10-2024, 12:57 PM
Surfermark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I see places for beginners and such but us old buzzards need a place to roost.

I am a new member to RCU (61 years young) I look forward to "roosting" here

...SurferMark
Old 08-10-2024, 10:18 PM
David John Davis

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I look forward to reading your contributions Surfer Mark. I used to do a bit of wind surfing when I lived in Devon in the South-West of England.

It's very hot here 35C (95F) I'm not sure I'll go flying in this heat. We were all supposed to go down to Gueret for a Fly-In but that has been cancelled on account of heat. It's ironic to think that la Coupe Des Barons was cancelled in June because of heavy rains and floods.

I enjoy listening to a radio programme of the music of Johann Sebastian Bach every Sunday morning between 07.00 and 09.00. I am listening to it as I type this. Once the programme's finished I'll bring up a couple of trailer loads of logs from the wood pile at the bottom of the garden in the relative cool of the morning ready for the winter. I have a good crop of plums and blackberries this year so I'll pick some of those for desert!

After that if I don't go flying, I'll get on with working on the Mystic.

Happy landings gentlemen!
Old 08-11-2024, 12:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have been trying to teach my Belgian friend Frans how to fly for several years but so far with no success. He keeps on making a horlicks of the take-offs and I have handed him over to the club's CFI, Roger Aubard. Frans has a son, Timmi who was not very academic at school but being very practical he learned the plumber's trade.He now he runs a successful business in Belgium employing several other plumbers and central heating engineers. As well as running the plumbing business he is setting up a company in Greece to remove diesel engines from boats and replace them with electric motors.He spends his holidays in Greece where he has a boat of some kind. He is married to a German girl called Heidi and they live just the other side of the German-Belgian border though all of the plumbing work takes place in Belgium. His business is so successfull that he drives a new Tesla.

He has bought a radio and foamie trainer and when he visits his parents he flies it at the club's field under my supervision. I suggested that he join a club near his home in Germany but his wife insists that he spends the weekends with her and their child. Fair enough, he spends five days a week away from home.

Last week he was visiting his parents and he came to the flying field where I was flying my World Models Super Frontier Senior, an ARTF clone of the Sig Kadet Senior. Doubtless the original Sig Kadet Senior is a superb trainer but my ARTF version has a plywood fuselage and weighs 9kgs or nearly 20lbs! I don't like it very much and I said that i wanted to sell it. We agreed a price of 70€ without the Laser 80 four-stroke on the nose! This is about £60 Stirling or $76.50 US. I'd paid £50 for it when I was last in England.

When he came over to my house to collect the model I pointed out at model which I had been given which sported an OS 40 SR. Stand to attention that man! The model had been given to the club, presumably by some greiving widow and no-one had seen anything like it. It could be an American or British design because it's overall dimesions seem to favour Imperial Measurements, a seven foot wingspan for example. It is beautifully built, pretty heavy at 4.5kgs or 10 lbs, fully sheeted and covered in tissue.The wing has a reflex section and the wings are bolted to the centre section with long threaded rods. All of the servos need throwing away because they are so old. I managed to get one going but it was very slow. The one which operates the throttle is linear rather than rotary! I wish they still made them like that! Not knowing the name of the model I named it Le Truc which means The Thingy! Given the weight of the model I doubt that the OS 40 would have flown it; it's probably never flown. So Timmi took away this model as well and I scored a classic OS engine for free! It was gummed up with congealed castor but I've freed it off and now only have to get the carburetter unstuck. Doubtless it will be up to his father and me to convert the models to electric power. Pictures of both models below.

Le Truc 1

Le Truc 2

Le Truc 3

Sig Kadet ARTF Clone

Your humble servant with Timmi about to take off with the Laser 80 powered Sig Kadet ARTF clone

As we were loading the models into his father's car Timmi's mobile phone went off. It was his wife and we had to wait until they had finished their conversation. Now I happen to be able to speak both French and German as well as English, and I noticed that the conversation was carried out in German. Timmi's mother tongue is Flemish which is similar to Dutch. He speaks Flemish to his parents and to the club's treasurer another Belgian, French to our French colleagues, English to me and German to his wife. Interesting eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.