Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Llumar 1/8th again !

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Miss Llumar 1/8th again !

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Miss Llumar 1/8th again !

Yea, that looks good. If my new one don't work out this weekend, I may try to get some more info from you about this thing. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
painman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jammin, posted some pic's of my boats, it was dark and flash didn't work to well. Sorry for poor quality. Will try again during daylight when I have a little more time. O' well I will be waiting on M5 add on, along with everyone else. Forgot pictures under M5 post.

catch ya later.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 AM
lomcevac540T

I'm going to try to get some video this weekend. I'll also be trying out my new turn fin. I think my last one was just too weak.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Jamming

Finished my strut, What a pain ! Problems from the beginning. Opened the box from speedmaster and right off the bat, Missing a part i ordered. did it by phone so i will give them the benefit of doubt, But now another 10 days without any test run. [] No collet cable holder. But there is a strut bearing and a stainless bullet and cable. So i started to set-up to cut out strut for bullet. No problems YET ! then after i shove bullet into strut, Perfect fit nice and tight, Then i relize i should of soldered strut bearing inside of tube before i slid it into strut. Well no getting it out now, So i press the bearing into stut and it goes into shaft tube somewhat tight. Then slid cable down tube for a test fit and it's a little tight, Won't turn properly now, because everything is a little to tight. So with a bit of elbow grease and about a hour later its smooth. Then i finally got the missing o-ring from WHH for the pipe, so i got it installed. I decided to go without the turbine shroud, To tight of tolerance. But it would look good for awhile burning with flames shooting out the back. So now another 7 to 10 days of waiting for one part. My rear wing looks flat so i am going to run the boat before i touch the wing. But i did install some canard wings. I also cut the strut down slightly to make it flat, And see what happens when i get to run it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88465.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1129142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29391.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1129143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33771.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1129144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40807.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1129145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi61280.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1129146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47268.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1129147  
Old 02-07-2009, 09:16 AM
painman

Here are some better pictures, day light
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 AM
painman

TRY AGAIN;
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87637.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1129390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19605.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1129391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15290.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1129392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90221.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1129393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64322.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1129394  
Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Jamming

Wow ! You really have a bend in your turn fin. Is it from trial and error or did you bend it that way right off the bat. Also you have more of a shim in the strut than i exspected. Nice boat !
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 PM
painman

Trial and error, this is the best fin I have built, this fin will allow me to loosen or thighten the boat by just raising a 1/16 of an inch. And will hold the boat stable at fast turns. Seen one like this, that was the reason I decided to give it a try. Also INsane runs there fins turned under, They just have a different style, not as wide. I began with more shim than what is there now, took about .050 of an inch out.
When setting up your boat, take off all fins and rudder, lay on a flat surface and there should be about .020 to .030 of an inch of the front of the strut off the table. Just enough to give a little lift to the rear of the boat. Negitive trim in the strut.
The biggest problem with these boat are keeping the front of the boat from lifting, that is the major problem to over come. Reason for weight, wings , motor movement , fins. I'm still working toward that perfect balance. Making small changes and testing. You will see what I mean when you start running your boat.

Good luck

Heading to lake in morning.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Sublime_Slayer

ORIGINAL: painman

My Elams had a 3/16 shaft that was attached to the flex shaft with a farrel the flex shaft was a 1/4 " square drive shaft that I replaced with the 1/4" drive shaft. This is the way all my gas boats drive is set up. This also uses the brass sleeves over the drive shaft. If you look back far enough in the forums (air foil) you can find pictures posted by I think BUDMAN and changes made to Miss Budwiser. He was also using the sleeves on the miss bud.
Sorry if there was any confusion, Jammin the screen turned out great, looks really awsome. let me know on the square drive;
Also my Elams has no where to put flotation, the front sponsons are filled with something already, looks like it came from the factory with front sealed off, just enough room for the fuel tank. There may be more differences than we might be aware of, not sure.

Thanks Randy
I agree,......there is no place to insert floatation on my Miss Elam. Maybe a tiny bit in front of the fuel tank but that is about it. The sponsons appear to be sealed off. Is that enough bouyancy to keep her afloat if she kites and lands prop up?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:35 AM
lomcevac540T

My Elam had foam flotation in it from the factory. There is a small opening in the sides, you can look into the sponsons and see the foam block in mine. I found this as I was trying to stuff more into it.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I've never seen a skid fin curled that far under a boat. Unless that fin is absolutely straight, it's going to be a royal headache. If you want to use a hooked fin, it's normally best to have the fin vertical and hook the bottom 20% or so in a much quicker curve. You still have to make sure the fin is straight but it wont' be affecting the boat nearly as much on the straights as what you have now can and probably will
Old 10-07-2009, 02:21 AM
painman

This fin was the best out of I can't tell you how many I built, from straight to slight bend to this turn fin. The insane fin is also curved like this if you go to there site you will see what there's looks like.
Ths fin will turn on a dime and not pull out, that is the purpose of the curve, the harder you turn the tighter the fin holds. There is very little adjustment needed with the fin to make a lot of difference in the way the boat handles. A 1/16 " will tighten or loosen the boat and will of corse pull a little left and right depending on if you tilt forward or back.
Just move the fin up a 1/16 and the boat will loosen up and back deeper to tighten the boat back up. There is only about 1/3 of the fin in the water when the boat is running straight, and when the boat sets back down to turn it really has some bite to hold a tight turn.
This again was built after many different fins where tried, so you might like to give one a try.

Good Luck;

Randy

insane gen 3 m6
41 falcon self mod 26
Micro Burst hanson mod
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
BigRagu
My Feedback: (9)

I hate to Hijack your thread but I have Two Miss Bud's (Hulls Only) For Sale, I just haven't had time to advertise.

One is NIB never opened and the other has had the built in radio box cut-out to make for room for a standard Hydro install & Tuned pipe.

I had planned to do a regular Hydro install in both, started one never finished. I have some hardware too so let me know if there is ant interest in a Winter project?

$350 for the unopened one (NIB)
$300 for the one that will need a standard Radio Box.

BPS (Buyer pays shipping) I also have Tubing and cable drives . . .Turnfins and other misc.??

If serious shoot me an email.

BigRagu
Old 08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Firemandan

Jamming, did you ever get your LLumar boat running? I just found this topic and love all the info. I would love to see some video of this bad boy running.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
ron1950

can any of u metel working guys make me a nice turn fin? id be glad to pay u...thanks [email protected]