Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

NOT a GOOD thing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 AM
Ravivos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOT a GOOD thing!

Crouching down to your plane while your 1.20 saito is spinning, your transmitter is connected to your neck strap, having the throttle stick get caught in your shirt, having a 5Kg - 1.20 engine - 16" blade running full throttle directly to your buddy that was standing right in front of your model.
having your buddy's leg almost get cut off, blood everywhere, 5 days in the hospital, millions of stitches... IS NOT A GOOD THING!!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
cncswiss1

Learning you Elevator servo is not up to the task on the backside of a loop, the dreaded figure 9!

loosing one servo only on an elevon plane (up to the right or down to the left)

doing a "spar check" high speed snap and having the wing hold good but the wood holding the battery fail, watching the little black dot shoot from the fuse and wondering what was that?

getting a 2M glider (gentle lady) to "itty bitty speck" height, and blinking.... bad idea

fast low inverted passes down the runway and having a mosquito bite your eyelid... bad idea

covering your IFO (or any small plane) with transparent blue (sky colored) saran wrap.... very bad idea
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
iflyg450

Fire ants bitting your feet and crawling up your leg while flying a Delta with a non-rc carb. NOT A GOOD THING!

Will never wear flip flops again!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Getting caught:

warming epoxy up in the microwave
Using her best cookie sheet (like she uses it anyway) for your motor in the oven trying to get that stuck rear bearing out
Hiding CA behind the ketchup in the fridge

Or Having:

A nelson Q40 motor firing up on its own after applying glow without touching it with the starter
building two halves of the same wing
putting all your servos and throttle cable on the wrong side of the plane thinking it was a Highwing instead of a Lowwing model

Not a Good Thing!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Fire ants bitting your feet and crawling up your leg while flying a Delta with a non-rc carb. NOT A GOOD THING!

Will never wear flip flops again!
man, i have made that mistake flying my Dust- not that rad!!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: daven

building two halves of the same wing
putting all your servos and throttle cable on the wrong side of the plane thinking it was a Highwing instead of a Lowwing model

Not a Good Thing!!
Done those before.

Making a high speed low pass with a piped Rossi 60 in your favorite KAOS just to run out of fuel mid field a foot off the deck.....and then straining it through a tree...

Not Good
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A wasp decides to explore the space between your glasses and eyeball when your speed plane is on deadstick final....... IS NOT a GOOD thing!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Gregor32
My Feedback: (1)

flying your trainer on final only to discover it has decended behind the tree line.

not a good thing.

learning to fly a 400 size electric heli in the back yard and then flying blind over the fence and imagiming where it is and pulling aft stick and giving it all the collective it has hopeing it will come back up.

not a good thing

Greg.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
anemicsafe

Trying to get the plane over yourself ( headon position with an enya .09 on venturi screaming at wot )using aileron and rudder corrections to make it right and with a strong sidewind just feeling the left leading edge crack on your forehead IS A VERY VERY BAD THING..
Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
combatpigg

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

After spending 12 hours restoring a SuperTigre .15 Combat Special with a hand made steel piston, spinner and rod.....I got to watch it run in a small speed plane for about 2 minutes until the plane stopped taking orders from me and flew like a UAV towards Mt Pilchuck until it was OOS.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

That reminds me of an adventure that happened to me back in '81. (yes, back in the 1900s)
I had a nice Laser 200 ARF that I put a used OS 90 4-stroke that I had bought from a close friend. I knew it ran fine.
It would just not start on this day when he was there, looking on, sweating bullets.
After about 2 hours of cranking (but not cussing) and doing a lot of head scratching, my frined offered the use of his fuel.
The engine started right up and I was so anxious to fly the plane I took off and it proceded to lift off and "Sign off" because the batteries had been working for the last 2 hours while I was doing the cranking. They died!
Not a Good Thing!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Jeremymac

Trimming your piped ultrasport to fly inverted low passes just about touching the tail at fun fly in lake mills Iowa. Then turning her over right side up for hot pass right into the ground!!!!! Trimming to fly inverted not a good thing.....
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM
freakingfast

Your plane is making the best smoke trails you've ever done. The problem is, this electric plane has no (intended) provisions for making smoke[X(]
Not a good thing.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Using the battery pack to monkey with the CG on a .90 size 300 only to discover after finding the sweet spot in a high g tumble, you didn't strap the battery pack down. Not a Good Thing!

The good thing was their were others to witness the crash when the battery became disconnected and I didn't waste it all on myself. One of my best!

John
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Flying a Formula one plane at an airshow demonstration in front of thousands of people with a nelson and no throttle when last nights chili decides it wants out and it wants out now!!!!

REALLY NOT A GOOD THING!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
TEAMERICA

Showing the wife how to get the 50:1 exhaust residue off the Monokote using Lacquer thinner. Then cringing while she wipes the previously CLEAR canopy with the thinner making it now FROSTY.
NOT A GOOD THING!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM
CafeenMan

The last time I flew was in 2012 - well over a year ago.

The battery in my Raptor 30 was shot and wouldn't take a charge so I ordered a new one and it showed up yesterday. I charged it up and went to get my transmitter which is in a case in the room where I store things I don't use often and just take up room in the shop.

When I pulled the transmitter out it was on. I mean the switch was on.

I use a Sirius charger but it didn't even recognize a battery was there so I used a wall-wart charger to force some juice in and get it started. The wall-wart light went from red to green indicating it was ok.

So I let it charge for about 45 minutes and switched it over to my Sirius. It started charging and about a minute later said it was fully charged.

Back to the wall-wart and the light stayed red.

Well, I expected the battery to be shot but crossed my fingers hoping it would charge and then cycle a few times ok.

Finding your transmitter on a year and a half later is not a good thing.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM
TEAMERICA

Back in 1976 I had a Proline Competition Six radio that was old enough to have a TX battery cell go bad.
I diagnosed the battery pack and found the bad cell and replaced it. The next weekend I was flying in a Pattern contest and while doing a slow roll right to left, the OTHER SEVEN CELLS went bad. Just like someone had turned the transmitter OFF.
NOT A GOOD THING!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

When I was deep into helicopters I would fly at a local athletic field. My usual attire during the summer was shorts, t shirt and seldom any shoes. Even as a child I have always liked the feel of cool grass on the bottoms of me feet, especially just before dusk. As luck would have it, I stepped on a bee halfway through a loop. It was the quickest inverted autorotation you could have imagined.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:24 PM
TEAMERICA

Bump.
A good thread sitting for 9 years with no input is:
NOT A GOOD THING!
Old 09-12-2022, 02:48 AM
wildhairman
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by TEAMERICA
Bump.
NOT A GOOD THING!
Thanks for posting this. I went back and started reading the others. So far, the chilli one gets my vote, with the bee-generated heli crash as a runner up.
The following users liked this post:
TEAMERICA (09-12-2022)
Old 07-15-2023, 08:46 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAMERICA
Bump.
NOT A GOOD THING!
... Re BUMP... I just had a great time reading through this thread.
The following users liked this post:
TEAMERICA (07-15-2023)
Old 09-27-2024, 04:52 AM
[email protected]

"I was coming out of a loop and realized I had only secured the wing hold-downs with two rubber bands. Definitely not ideal!" [sm=what_smile.gif]