Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:00 PM
nitrors43
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do kids come up and watch you drive your RC's?

I'm 20 and I get all ages and genders that watch my cars. Some in awe, some in disgust, and a some in curiosity. The funniest thing that happened was last week when I wasn't even running the car, i was getting ready to start it when these 2 brothers, one was probably 4 and the other 6, were running around and then stopped like a dime as soon as they saw my 1/8th Ofna Buggy. They just stood there and didn't say anything but just stood there lol. When I used to run my HPI RS4 3 im my college parking lot at night I had the cops stop by and ask some questions about it.

My Ofna is rather loud as its got a .28 big block, and it gets people looking. There is this small dip on the other said of this field I usually run at and as soon as I started ripping around the field these two heads popped up from there. There are alot of girls that sunbath there and I am quite a disturbance to the peace lol. Most people don't really approach me, but I usually get "nice car" from the older guys that are walking by with their kids, most people just stare at it as they walk by.

I get all the usually questions too "Did you build that?", "How fast does it go", "What does that run on", "Where did you get that?" Most of the time its not when I'm actually running the car so its easy to answer the questions. I don't really mind and always direct them to the local hobby shop if they want to pick something up. The kids around here don't seem to take as much interest in it as the older guys in their 30's and 40's seem to do.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 AM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

as a previously mentioned post about the video of some girl riding her bike on a BMX track proves. She's on her bike on a BMX track (and I'm guessing, in a public park) and she gets nailed in the head by a buggy/truggy coming the other way on the BMX track. If you watch the video, everyone's laughing in the background when she gets hit. I personally don't find any humor in that.
is this the video you're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6u7Ft2gU0

ouch
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: dittch

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

as a previously mentioned post about the video of some girl riding her bike on a BMX track proves. She's on her bike on a BMX track (and I'm guessing, in a public park) and she gets nailed in the head by a buggy/truggy coming the other way on the BMX track. If you watch the video, everyone's laughing in the background when she gets hit. I personally don't find any humor in that.
is this the video you're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6u7Ft2gU0

ouch
That is too bad, it sort of gives the responsible people in rc a bad name.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
rcguy1411

i get lots of kids around when i run my cars and boats a first the kids would try and catch them (cars trucks) but at 10 to15 lbs at 39 to 40 mph they will cause serrious damage so i started sit them all down and let them have a turn driving there are now two families that have bought rc trucks and i am teaching father and son how to tune and repair there new trucks to this date no bodys been hurt growing this sport have fun and play safe
Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Churron
My Feedback: (5)

the first crowd i have ever had happened recently. I was running my tt-01 just outside my house, its on 2s and a exrun 60amp 5.5t brushless. I was doing some test runs up and down the side street by the house and a couple kids came by and stopped and sat down in the grass. Just before i was about to pass them a bird landed in the road in the path of my car, so i tried to swerve (that was my first reaction) and my car literally took off into the air (no body on the car during this run) hit the ground and started rolling and bouncing (all the while i am wincing to see my car tumbling) and ended up landing in one of the kids laps. Luckly nothing was broken and the car was just fine. Since then, those kids dont stop and sit anymore.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
heliguy4

I have started to drive late at night to avoid this and it has seemed to help somewhat (it is nice that the Losi DT has full lights)
Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 AM
teacher brent

I always bring mine when I run, he's almost two. No more nitro for us, but he has a great time. If kids are cool( most are we run at and next to a track) I'll show them and their fathers the trucks. I've let a couple of them steer Old Stampy. If they are too agressive or want to chase I'll just stop for a bit. When I pull the body or a wheel off they go away. We're out for fun and it's tons of fun if we can respect each other. I just stop if it's not fun. A few minutes on a lawn chair is good too.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Most of the onlookers / question askers I get are older retired guys and the occasional soccer mom with kids in the car at the local grocery store parking lot.
The LHS is owned by an old friend of mine so I always carry some of his flyers to hand out to people.
Generally I will stop and talk to people and answer their questions.
As for the kids that want to drive...
After they are done asking their questions, I have only one for them...
How much money you got in your pockets? If it's less than $600 you can't drive.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Steve.

Sometimes we'll take a beater car with us as a spare along with a spare TX and will sometimes let someone interested in RC take it for a spin, in a huge open field or lot of course. I always try to be an ambassador of the hobby and there's no better way to make people realize that RC is much more than a Tyco car from Toys R Us is to let them experience it first hand. Now that we have several cars each along with an extra synth TX and cars equipped with synth receivers we usually take one of my son's friends along.