Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Jack Stafford Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Jack Stafford Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 05:38 PM
racingjeff1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jack Stafford Chipmunk

Hi anthony,

Funny story. I have a GMS .61 in it, the plane came out to just under 8lbs. As I mentioned I used that more dense foam, plus fiberglassed the wings (no balsa) and 3/4oz fiberglassed everything else, plus all the same filler as you did, prime sanding and used warbird colors paints (all markings too except small stuff) And have the flaps. I intended to build this as a nice trainer to my Top Flight Sea Fury, but I got a little carried away with it and it ended up as another scale aircraft, not great but nice. So long story short I have not flown it yet. I still need to fit a muffler in there to exit similar to scale area. The .061 is very tight in the cowl. I think it will be very different than the actual pattern plane it was supposed to be, but again I wanted something to fly similar to the scale Sea Fury.

Yours is very impressive, I really like the pinking ! If you are thinking of painting it I would really recommend the warbird colors paint, its right on for color match and its water clean up.

I wish I had purchased the kit before the scratch build, I did not know the kit had been released then when I found out I did buy the canopy from them.

Would like to know the progress and flight characteristics of yours.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Jeff,
I will let you know how it goes once I get it in the air

I have finished detailing my EP Corsair, I will get the electronics installed this weekend and get bcak to work on the Chippy. Here are a few pics of the Corsair. I highlited the panel lines, rivets and painted the numbers and stars and bars. I also added exhaust stains and gun stains.
Later!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89468.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	642376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98224.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	642377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97786.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	642378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37519.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	642379  
Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM
WacoNut

Finally I have the Corsair finished and I can get back to the Chipmunk,
I painted the kill marking and the name Lulubelle(pappy's plane) on the fuse and installed the radio gear. I ordered the wrong freq crystal and had to return it so I can't fly it until the new one arrives[]
I am happy with how the plane turned out, this was a good plane to try out my airbrush on and I learned alot about mixing colors and shading. Here are a few pics of the finished plane.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53681.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	644086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28785.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	644087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70544.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	644088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30039.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	644089  
Old 03-17-2007, 09:24 PM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks really good, especially for foam.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM
WacoNut

Thanks,
It was fun to do the detailing and weathering.
Anthony
Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 AM
racingjeff1

Hi CubNut,

Thought I would update you on my Chipmunk. I decided to go electric, the system I have puts out approx 800watts. Before my flight I re-read the instructions from my 1967 MAN issue that featured this plane and the performance they talk about is what I got. I used their stated control throws, which now I would use more as a high rate. Anyway the plane weighs about 7 lbs (did not accurately measure yet) with that 800watts of electric power even at that weight performance was excellent. With that big horizontal stab and the throws recommended it was a little twitchy for a first flight. It is obvious that it is a pattern plane once in the air. With my wing loading the landing was fast and I did not try the flaps. The landing was hard and broke my prop but other than that I just need a longer runway.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 PM
WacoNut

Congrats,
I have not been working on my Chipmunk, I have set it aside and started building a Ziroli P-40. I have been too busy with work and yard work that I haven't had time to work on any of my planes for 2 months. I just finally made it out to fly some last weekend. I put several flights on my Sig 1/4 scale Cub and my JSM Aircoupe.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM
racingjeff1

You won't be disapointed with the Chipmunk, I sure wish I had a JS kit now for another (better/lighter) build. I was wrong on the output though, its actually 850watts. I have gone all electric now that I can source many of the parts directly from Hong Kong, makes it very affordable. I converted a .040 GP Cap 232 kit with the exact same power combo both spinning APC 15x10 E props and the power is unbelievable.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:55 PM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am putting together a Stafford Chipmunk I picked up off ebay. It's partially built and looks very good however the canopy is missing. Does anyone have a source for an orginal or reproduction canopy?
Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM
racingjeff1

Hi,

I saved my broken canopy in the hopes of one day I would need it. If you are interested, I can make a mold from the broken one and vacuum form one. Just have to work out what the costs would be.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

contact leisure r/c models they are the current owners of jsm and sell parts.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:23 PM
Balsabringer

Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plane! [sic]

Hello Mr Nut, did you ever finish the JS Chipmunk? I am about halfway thru mine and I'm glad I found your build thread