Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2024, 08:55 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 169 Likes on 141 Posts

The local supermarket is holding its annual wine sale. There's a bottle of Pommeral reduced from 27€ to less than 20€. The recommendation in the blurb is to keep the wine for 5-10 years.

I intend to buy six bottles and to open one on 11th March 2028, my eightieth birthday which is only three and a half years away, then one bottle on every Christmas Day after that.

Of course I could well snuff it before then! Although the average age at death for an Englishman is just under 81, more Englishmen die between the ages of 76 and 78 than at any other age and if I pop me clogs before my eightieth bithday someone will have some nice wines to sample!

It will be interesting to see which will last longest, me or the wine!Name:  1f609.png
Views: 82
Size:  511 Bytes

1€ = $1.10 US.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 09-11-2024 at 09:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Telemaster Sales UK:
bisco (09-11-2024), Flicker (09-12-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 09:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 291 Likes on 249 Posts

Live long just to piss them off!
The following 3 users liked this post by FlyerInOKC:
David John Davis (09-12-2024), Flicker (09-12-2024), flyboy2610 (09-12-2024)
Old 09-12-2024, 10:38 PM
David John Davis

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

A busy weekend in prospect for me.

We have a fly-in and our own competition for Baron pilots on the Saturday with a barbeque at lunchtime followed by a general fly-in on the Sunday afternoon. The weather forecast is for dry weather with some wind. I think I'll take the heavier models like the Mystic and the Calmato and leave the Big Guff and certainly the BE2 in the workshop. Unfortunately my camera is hors service but I expect that the club's treasurer and chairman will photograph the event. They are both camera enthusiasts.

I also have an Open Mic night to organise on the Saturday night. Last month only two acts turned up including me so we had to carry the whole evening ourselves, trawling through our back catalogues! Fortunately for Saturday night I have five, perhaps six acts who have committed to turning up.
The following users liked this post:
Flicker (09-13-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 05:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well it looks like I'm about to lose my old R/C mentor and flying buddy. He is under hospice care with organ failure at age 84. I've know him for almost 50 years. He told me he has it in his will I get all his R/C stuff, from a storage point of that's scary. He has no kids or grandkids, his daughter died a week ago. I have been trying to visit him every day or two just so he has some company. I'll miss hi terribly!
Old 09-14-2024, 06:48 AM
mgnostic

Received 101 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Well it looks like I'm about to lose my old R/C mentor and flying buddy. He is under hospice care with organ failure at age 84. I've know him for almost 50 years. He told me he has it in his will I get all his R/C stuff, from a storage point of that's scary. He has no kids or grandkids, his daughter died a week ago. I have been trying to visit him every day or two just so he has some company. I'll miss hi terribly!
You have my sympathies. My father in law once said the worst thing about being 90 was that he had outlived all of his friends.
Old 09-14-2024, 06:50 AM
easystar123

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That is very sad, but I suppose that is life and we only get so long. That is very kind and thoughtful of him giving you his rc stuff. It is also very kind and thoughtful of you going to visit him. We are all human beings and we all need each other. I live on my own with no kids either so i know his situation. You will certainly miss your friend when he passes away. May he have a happy death and i will keep him in my prayers . God bless him.
Old 09-14-2024, 07:59 AM
David John Davis

In haste between the fly-in and setting off to the Open Mic Night. I'm sorry to hear your news Mike but 84 is not a bad innings. You'll have plenty of pleasant memories to look back on especially if you get one of his models into the air where it belongs.
Old 09-14-2024, 11:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think he is ready to go, his is not a pleasant living it's more just existing. He is bed ridden and tired of life. I hope he goes quietly in his sleep. We have talked a lot about his coming demise. I tried to ease his worries a bit but he is still a bit anxious.
bisco (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 03:51 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i hope you both find peace, i said a prayer for him, and you as well Flyer
Old 09-15-2024, 06:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by bisco
i hope you both find peace, i said a prayer for him, and you as well Flyer
Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well crap! I can't go see Les this week I have COVID! My sawbones put me on Paxlovid, I just hope I don't get a rebound case like last time. This is my 3rd case of COVID I have had. I was planning on get the new shot this week with my annual flu shot.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
donnyman

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

My goodness! it seems to me there is a obsession with death, what is to fear?? It is a inevitable event to occupy what time I have left in this world worrying seems in a word (stupid) You will eventually die. so why mess up what you have here sweating the small S--- .

I am amongst those that have experienced the out of body thing --Twice! and I am not about to tell you what it is because I don't really know, BUT if it is death It is better than what you have now, it's the next level of existence and for me ...... a wonderful thing that I look forward to though I will not hasten it because I believe our existence here is not without a reason/purpose whether you believe or understand it. some people rejoice at the time of death many cry. who's wrong? My friends and family that have passed on before me are blessed and released from this prison (my opinion) of this body and set free. there is nothing to fear being amongst loved ones in the next life it is unbelievably wonderful and peaceful. this is my faith. NO! I do not follow any particular religion Which I see as a man made method of control and imprisonment.

I say this with no intent other than to express my feelings on the subject, and trust I do not offend anyone. ...................... Peace be with you!

DONNYMAN
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

An Indiana cemetery has a tombstone, more than one hundred years old, with the following epitaph:

Pause, stranger, when you pass me by:
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so you will be.
So prepare for death and follow me.

An unknown passerby scratched these additional words on the tombstone:

To follow you I’m not content,
Until I know which way you went.

https://bereanbiblesociety.org/an-epitaph/
=================================
Your choice.
donnyman (Today)
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
bisco

bummer! i hope it isn't bad for you. i had it back in february, went to the doc too late for paxlovid, and it was the worst illness of my life.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

It's my 3rd time catching it sucks but I haven't landed in the hospital yet so I can't complain. I do hate the taste the Paxlovid leaves in your mouth!
bisco (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
bisco

it has to be better than full blown covid, at least in some cases. my wife just felt sick for a week, but i got covid pneumonia, thought i was dying. (no offense to donnyman, but i'm not ready )
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
David John Davis

15th September is Battle of Britain Day. A display of aircraft of the period was filmed at RAF Duxford. The quality of the video is not brilliant but may still be of interest. The footage of the Hawker Nimrod is much better.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
David John Davis

There is another Patrick Clear video of Hurricanes and Spitfires in formation.

Old Today, 01:04 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Like your 'My Goodness' message

Originally Posted by donnyman
My goodness! it seems to me there is a obsession with death, what is to fear?? It is a inevitable event to occupy what time I have left in this world worrying seems in a word (stupid) You will eventually die. so why mess up what you have here sweating the small S--- .

I am amongst those that have experienced the out of body thing --Twice! and I am not about to tell you what it is because I don't really know, BUT if it is death It is better than what you have now, it's the next level of existence and for me ...... a wonderful thing that I look forward to though I will not hasten it because I believe our existence here is not without a reason/purpose whether you believe or understand it. some people rejoice at the time of death many cry. who's wrong? My friends and family that have passed on before me are blessed and released from this prison (my opinion) of this body and set free. there is nothing to fear being amongst loved ones in the next life it is unbelievably wonderful and peaceful. this is my faith. NO! I do not follow any particular religion Which I see as a man made method of control and imprisonment.

I say this with no intent other than to express my feelings on the subject, and trust I do not offend anyone. ...................... Peace be with you!

DONNYMAN

Hi Donny;

Great thoughts; you are as good or as great a wordsmith as old Abe Lincoln hisself. I agree with your message completely. I just turned 80 back in July and have had a few medical 'misadventures' of late, have survived them all, with only a few lasting reminders of same, but am fighting on. We survived the Covid AOK, with many thanx to President Trump's Executive Order re developing the Vaccines in short order, with the Myrna variant saving us. Several Friends' caught Covid, sadly 2 passed. And, in the past 4 months, we have lost 3 more Friends, a 30 yr old Friend's Daughter to a car accident, and 2 Registered Nurses who worked with my Wife, [an RN], ages 60 and 64 yrs, to ALS and cancer. We knew them well, and loved them, and sadly remember same during better times. So now, into my 80s', I am very glad and happy to have been 'lucky enuff' to have had the pleasure and enjoyment of destroying balsa wood since I was 6 yrs old.....a lifetime in this great hobby.....What can I say? Life has been good.......[Now; Just between Us; If only President Trump can be Re-Elected!!! Oh Boy!!! A return to the good ole'days!]

Will close Donnie, many thanx again for your wonderful, thought provoking message, best regards from your Balsa Buddy in Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old Today, 05:29 AM
donnyman

Joe Nagy

It pleases me to know you concur with my thoughts BUT! When it comes to Trump we go in opposite directions, (let's not get political) I just agree to disagree.
Old Today, 06:03 AM
donnyman

David

Your videos was enjoyed