Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What does Flite Test offer?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What does Flite Test offer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 06:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
And that's all well and good, but only as long as the people involved are actually following those requirements.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:04 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
And that's all well and good, but only as long as the people involved are actually following those requirements.
That was taken from the AMA safety code. Last time I looked on the FT site for their safety code they had a link that went to the AMA safety code. That was just a few months ago. As I said, the video is 6 years old so before FT was a CBO. So with that in mind, did the AMA spotter rule exist 6 years ago and if it did was either participate an AMA member?
Old 06-01-2023, 07:10 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did any of you actually watch the video? There is a third person (spotter?) assisting both of the pilots, who, as previously mentioned, were in constant communication with each other.
Folks are getting desperate to justify their (incorrect) posts and assessments.......

I will agree, after watching the video a couple of times, the runway is a bit tight to the crowd, but the spectators really need to be the ones to decide if they are comfortable that close or not. I don't know about everyone else in here, but I prefer NOT to live in a nanny state, and want to retain the right (and responsibility) to decide my own threshholds for my safety.

Astro

Last edited by astrohog; 06-01-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:56 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
Did any of you actually watch the video? There is a third person (spotter?) assisting both of the pilots, who, as previously mentioned, were in constant communication with each other.
Folks are getting desperate to justify their (incorrect) posts and assessments.......

I will agree, after watching the video a couple of times, the runway is a bit tight to the crowd, but the spectators really need to be the ones to decide if they are comfortable that close or not. I don't know about everyone else in here, but I prefer NOT to live in a nanny state, and want to retain the right (and responsibility) to decide my own threshholds for my safety.

Astro
This I agree with, especially the last sentence. However one regular in this forum has beat on the AMA and EC for not having sufficient distance between flying area and attendees. Both videos I posted have the same situation and the last one, that Yak appears to fly directly over a couple at the end of the runway. IMO, if you’re going to call out one CBO for safety issues, you really need to call them all out. This really shouldn’t be about us butting heads on a forum, it should be about us all recognizing dangerous situations and correcting them for the benefit of the hobby.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:55 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=astrohog;12774295.....the runway is a bit tight to the crowd, but the spectators really need to be the ones to decide if they are comfortable that close or not. I don't know about everyone else in here, but I prefer NOT to live in a nanny state, and want to retain the right (and responsibility) to decide my own threshholds for my safety.

Astro[/QUOTE]

Many non-modeler folks watching RC flying have no idea of potential harm our models can create. That is the purpose of distance between spectators and flight line.
As a modeler you know the risks and probably have a pretty good eye when something does not look right or safe. It is disingenuous to expect that from the average public.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:44 AM
astrohog

Who said that crowd was the average public? Do you know something that wasn’t presented in the video, or are you assuming?

At what point did people become incapable of assessing their environment all on their own?

Astro
Old 06-01-2023, 03:31 PM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by astrohog
Who said that crowd was the average public? Do you know something that wasn’t presented in the video, or are you assuming?

At what point did people become incapable of assessing their environment all on their own?

Astro
apparently at some point.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:47 PM
astrohog

Well, I never said that there weren't people that are NOT capable of it, but....WOW, just wow!!! LOL

Still doesn't mandate that someone else should mandate their safety, we'd all be better off if we just let Darwin take care of things, rather than save people like this from themselves! LOL

Astro
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 AM
flyboy2610

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You can't cure stupid.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
You can't cure stupid.
True, , , , , but, duct tape can go a long way toward muffling the sound.....
Old 06-03-2023, 02:25 PM
speedracerntrixie

Well, give credit where credit is due. I attended one of my club’s annual “ Support the Troops “ warbird fly in today. Flite Test donated 3 kits, I ended up with a P-51 kit in the raffle. Now just need to find a youngster to give it to.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just curious, who manufactured the kit? Is it a Guillow's kit or something that is to be flown R/C?
Old 06-04-2023, 04:50 PM
speedracerntrixie

Hydro, these are manufactured by Flite Test. Laser cut foam board with some balsa and CF rods.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:55 PM
Hydro Junkie

Was just curious since not many companies make Mustang kits anymore
Old 06-05-2023, 04:53 AM
speedracerntrixie

The term “Mustang” is used rather loosely.