Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

UCD 3D Thread II--Flight, Setup and Mod editon

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

UCD 3D Thread II--Flight, Setup and Mod editon

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:50 AM
nosram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strenghtening firewall & undercarriage plate

Firstly I strapped a flashlighht to the inside of the fus, pointing forwards. Using a long thin brush, dipped in resin, I carefully picked up pre cut fiberglass cloth squares (1" to 1.5") and placed them all around the edge of F1.
I glued additional triangular stock on the U/C plate, where possible. Did the same on the former, infront of the wing. Them using a thin brush, with a 90° bend in it, together with a dentist type mirror I placed more fiberglass squares around the edge of the U/C plate. Its hard to do, because the fus is so thin...small hands would be a wonderful help.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:40 AM
mtthomps
My Feedback: (2)

Default UCD 3D Thread II--Flight, Setup and Mod editon

I had a problem with my landing gear block breaking out with a hard landing. Hardly even seemed glued in. I got some fiberglass tape, cut 2 1 inch wide by 4 inches long pieces of modeling plywood, drenched the fiberglass in epoxy, applied the fiberglass strips first, then the plywood strips down the sides of the fuse in behind the wing dowel holes. I then ringed the area inside with epoxy drenched fiberglass tape about 1 inch in. I then placed a strip of drenched fiberglass tape down one side of the inside fuse, ran it up and around the outside of the landig gear block,and carefully fitted the landing gear block in place, dangling the fiberglass stripinto the other side of the hole. I then reached in with a log thin tool and plastered the dangling piece in place just like the other side. I am DETERMINED that if the plane goes in at 120mph from 500 feet that the only thing left will be the entire landing gear area!!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:47 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default Thats is a good idea.

Originally posted by smartwork
Just a shot of how I did my tail-wheel. Same way I did it on another plane of mine.

Used Sullivan wheel assembly but instead of using the spring (I usually don't like springs for tail wheels), I soldered a tab on top of the brass part of the assembly. The tab I used both times is a small stretched oval tab this is used to hold on wire landing gear. The tab already has a hole on each end and is the perfect size. Once soldered, I then install a second control horn simply for wheel linkage and then make my own connecting rod. The black horn in this photo is for the pull-pull that I've not yet hooked up.

This system works GREAT on my other plane so I expect the same here as they're similar.

Just thought you might like to see it.

-s
Old 06-11-2003, 11:25 PM
supertiger

Default landing gear wire reinforcments

used flying wire and extra fiberglass on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85749_13255.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	22999  
Old 06-12-2003, 12:18 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: landing gear wire reinforcments

Good looking plane, but I would *****can that red factory spinner. Those things are a menace. Especially on 4 strokes. But from the look of your name I'd guess your running a 2 stroker

Originally posted by supertiger
used flying wire and extra fiberglass on the inside.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Default UCD 3D Thread II--Flight, Setup and Mod editon

Originally posted by bzrogers
Flatspin

Everytime I try and do a flat spin with my UCD it ends up being a knife edge spin.

Please advise
What I've found controls Knife edge vs. regular spin is the entry. When I want to do a knife edge spin I hit both sticks to the bottom left, then hit power and after the rotation establishes itself I reversethe rudder to slow the descent.

For flatspin the only thing I change is that I hit the sticks over after setting it up for a stall, right before the aircraft actually drops, and I also dont reverse the rudder for this one.

Bear in mind I use spoileron mix for unright spins and flaperon mix for inverted spins
Old 06-12-2003, 03:25 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CF landing gear

Does anyone sell carbon landing gear for the UCD90 ?