Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Skybolt hangar and clubhouse

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:25 PM
sgtmonte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Skybolt that's ready to be finished but I'm not sure what engine to use. I'm thinking about using a 20cc gas and add smoke. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2017, 04:18 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

I have a couple Skybolts, both with OS 61SF long stroke pattern motors. They both fly beautifully with an APC 12/8 prop. The Yellow/Black is an old GP kit built one, completely sheeted, and a lot heavier than the GP ARF. The GP ARF is at 8#, and will almost 3D. I think if I put an APC 12/10, it should hover, and do excellent aerobatics. I bought the ARF at a swap meet, as the owner ground looped it, and damaged the front end. I rebuilt it, and have been flying it ever since. It's a shame that they are now discontinued, and no parts available. Thankfully, I did buy some spare parts while they were still available. Here's a few pics of them-- Dean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3876 2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	2247748   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3877 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	2247749   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4978.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2247750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4981.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2247752   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4988.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2247755  
Old 01-27-2018, 09:17 AM
Skeezix4me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all!
I am currently building a Skybolt from a Great Planes Kit.
Currently, I'm running into two issues I am looking for some help on:

First, How are you all fueling your skybolts? I am considering using a Dubro E/Z fueler as my in-cowl space is quite restrivted. The other way I am considering (but won't look as tidy) is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ill-valve.html
Post #24 shows what I'm talking about.

Second, My cabane holters are not touching the bottom of the cockpit floor per the plans. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what was your remedy? The picture in post #16 in this thread shows the same problem I'm having: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-skybolt/page2

Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Cougar429
My Feedback: (3)

Since almost all my builds are scale and cowled I have been fabbing up a 3-line system to give an independent fill/defuel line that goes to a fuel dot on the side of the cowl.

Blue Regular Fuel Dot, from PSP Manufacturing, psp-170-b-n - Chief Aircraft Inc.

You can get them different colors to match so not so obvious. Just ensure it sits above the top of the tank to reduce siphoning when done filling up. The pic may be a bit difficult to see, but there is one shown in the side of the Rare Bear cowl.

Two points to add: My 3-line system is relatively easy to build and use and works perfectly. I use plastic air tubing for all my fuel lines as careful heating allows me to route it both inside and outside the tank to where required. Inside that third line runs down and to the lower left corner and never interferes with the clunk. Some simply add another clunk and that is a possibility, but I like mine better. Personal choice.

Both fittings you refer to were my go to for years and each has good and bad habits. They are quick to use, but there are internal O-rings that tend to dry up and lose perfect seal, (rebuild kits are available) and they require their own fitting on the end of your fill line that comes with the valve. The DuBro is a bit more obvious due to the protruding protective cap.

Most problems I see come from the fact those O-rings leak from both shrinkage and vibrations. Since that one is designed to fit into the carb feed line any air leak is a potential dead stick.

Not sure of your cabane problem. My original Sig Bolt was prebuilt from a kit and the Super came as an ARF.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 330.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	2252354  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:41 PM
vogelm1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezix4me
Hello all!
I am currently building a Skybolt from a Great Planes Kit.
Currently, I'm running into two issues I am looking for some help on:

First, How are you all fueling your skybolts? I am considering using a Dubro E/Z fueler as my in-cowl space is quite restrivted. The other way I am considering (but won't look as tidy) is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ill-valve.html
Post #24 shows what I'm talking about.

Second, My cabane holters are not touching the bottom of the cockpit floor per the plans. Has anyone had this problem? If so, what was your remedy? The picture in post #16 in this thread shows the same problem I'm having: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-skybolt/page2

Thanks guys.
The cabanes on mine had a gap like yours, but only maybe 1/8". I filled it in with some scrap ply and epoxy. The first one I built many years ago had a gap too as I recall, and I left it as is without any issues. If the cabanes are seated completely down to the bottom of the formers, and your wing incidences check out OK, I'd leave it. Cut some strips of ply and use that to fill in the gap between cabane and cockpit floor.

Last edited by vogelm1; 01-28-2018 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Skeezix4me

Originally Posted by Cougar429
Since almost all my builds are scale and cowled I have been fabbing up a 3-line system to give an independent fill/defuel line that goes to a fuel dot on the side of the cowl.

Blue Regular Fuel Dot, from PSP Manufacturing, psp-170-b-n - Chief Aircraft Inc.

You can get them different colors to match so not so obvious. Just ensure it sits above the top of the tank to reduce siphoning when done filling up. The pic may be a bit difficult to see, but there is one shown in the side of the Rare Bear cowl.

Two points to add: My 3-line system is relatively easy to build and use and works perfectly. I use plastic air tubing for all my fuel lines as careful heating allows me to route it both inside and outside the tank to where required. Inside that third line runs down and to the lower left corner and never interferes with the clunk. Some simply add another clunk and that is a possibility, but I like mine better. Personal choice.

Both fittings you refer to were my go to for years and each has good and bad habits. They are quick to use, but there are internal O-rings that tend to dry up and lose perfect seal, (rebuild kits are available) and they require their own fitting on the end of your fill line that comes with the valve. The DuBro is a bit more obvious due to the protruding protective cap.

Most problems I see come from the fact those O-rings leak from both shrinkage and vibrations. Since that one is designed to fit into the carb feed line any air leak is a potential dead stick.

Not sure of your cabane problem. My original Sig Bolt was prebuilt from a kit and the Super came as an ARF.
I would love to use a 3 line system with fuel dot, but I opted to use a Hayes 13oz tank with doesn't have a provision for a second decided fill/drain line. Thus, I'm left with two line options.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:03 PM
KCCraig

,Hello, I am posting here so that I may find this thread again easier. I have recently acquired a super skybolt ARF. I want to refer back to this thread while assembleing. Probably be a while before I start however.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 AM
Cougar429

KCCraig, is your Super the ARF or kit built?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:29 AM
KCCraig

Cougar,
Mine is the ARF. Found it NIB at local swap meet. I have been looking around the internet for one, but could not find one.
Got this one for little less than price was new. Thinking about putting a Saito 1.20 on it which is also NIB. Got a very good deal on it years ago, but didnt have anything to put it in.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM
Cougar429

Think the 120 would be too big and heavy. The 100 swinging a MA 13/8 3-blade is perfect for mine.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:32 PM
KCCraig

the 1.2 is what I have. have read other threads where guys are useing that engine and haveing very good luck
Old 02-10-2019, 04:57 AM
Cougar429

I'm familiar with it, Strong as an ox, but built that way.

The ARF is relatively light so you may need to install ballast in the tail.. You may also have to mod the firewall to keep the prop spacing correct. Moving the cowl forward a bit may be an option. You just don't want to end up looking like Karl Malden.

Are you able to post some pics?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 AM
KCCraig

Carl Malden? you mean like with a big nose? I havent posted pics before, but now I have a smart phone. Maybe I can figure it out.
I wont be starting the build for some time. The basement is my workshop, and had trouble with water getting in. Had to tear it up and repair with French drain. remove carpet tore out dry wall to seal cracks, etc.
Will be putting man cave back together, after wife finishes remodeling upstairs. I could take pics of model as is now, just to practice. Yeah, thats the ticket.
Craig
Old 02-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Cougar429

That's the one.

I know what you mean. My build room is our old family room downstairs and is going through a major reno. New tables and everything stored away. Unfortunately that also means trying to figure out where everything is.......
Old 08-30-2021, 02:00 AM
Aerosv

Hello everybody !
I am interested in buying the plans in electronic format (PDF, JPG) by Dario Brisighella Skybolt plans,
Is anyone willing to help me with them scanned?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2024, 07:55 PM
bryanmiick

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

looks like nobody's posted in a while. Here are some pictures of my 1/4 scale Skybolt built from Bob Divley Plans. I ofiginally crashed it on the 2nd flight in 1987 or so.

original tail.

still finishing the paint, should be flyable soon.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:54 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up Nice !

Originally Posted by bryanmiick
looks like nobody's posted in a while. Here are some pictures of my 1/4 scale Skybolt built from Bob Divley Plans. I ofiginally crashed it on the 2nd flight in 1987 or so.

still finishing the paint, should be flyable soon.
Bryan,
What a heartbreak that had to be, loosing your first one like that.

Just found your build thread on this thing..
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gia...t-plans-2.html
Old 01-09-2024, 08:30 PM
bryanmiick

Yes it was a bummer but I had fun building it so not a total loss. I figure that if I get to build it and it crashes on the first flight that I got my moneys worth out of the build. On that one we took pictures on the first flight and it flew so well that on the second flight I was flying inverted and went to loop out of it and pushed the stick the wrong way. I now ROLL out of inverted flight. To ad insult to injury when we went to develop the film from the first flight we discovered that we forgot to put film in the camera. Another good lesson!!! I had 1 wing panel and the tail around forever and eventually mounted the tail on the wall in about 2011. been wanting to rebuild it for a while now but there were just too many planes to build in the meantime. should be ready to fly in a couple weeks.
Old 09-14-2024, 09:25 PM
bryanmiick

fly's great
The following users liked this post:
RICKSTUBBZ (09-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2024, 02:45 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanmiick

fly's great

good looking airplane!