Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Lipo vs nicad

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:33 AM
zaintlouis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo vs nicad

planning to switch to lipo packs so i need some information before going on.

!) Is lipo pack only good for brushless motors?
2) can we use lipo packs for rock crawling r/c's with brushed 25t silver can 540 motors?
3) How long can a lipo pack operate compared to nicad batteries?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Druss

Default RE: Lipo vs nicad

are you talking for the tx, rx or main pack? If for the main pack you'd get better responses in the general forum instead of radio.

Nicads are old, old, old technology. Nimh is worlds above nicad and lipos are better than nimh.

you can use lipo for anything but keep in mind that it's 7.4v so it's a direct replacement for a 6 cell nicad/nimh pack but you need a voltage regulator if you're going to use it as a receiver battery.

lipo's are better in every way possible over nicad. Higher capaity (mah) at much lower wieght, no memory and flat discharge curve (means it keeps the same power for 80% of it's use). The only downside is that you have to be careful when charging and discharging as you CANNOT charge over 4.2v per cell and discharge under 3v per cell. A lipo cutoff helps with the discharge part. They also need a lipo specific charger and they are more expensive (but definitely worth it).
Old 12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
JLRevo

Default RE: Lipo vs nicad

Adding on: You can charge a lipo today and use it next week with little to no voltage loss. Its a heavy investment put well worth it. Do some research cause you need a couple things to get them going. As stated before a lipo sack, regulators, lipo charger and disharger, batteries and the correct leads( deans, traxxas). Also if you run a Team Checkpoint charger like me you'll need a power supply. ( I have an Ofna power supply that was $40 from A Main).