Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

PLEASE help with first rc car/ truck purchase!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

PLEASE help with first rc car/ truck purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
v3n0m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE help with first rc car/ truck purchase!

I'm looking into getting into the rc cars and I'm really liking the Hpi stuff. For the most part I will just be bashing in low grass, some pavement and on the beach. At first i was pretty dead set on the HPI Firestorm Flux but now the HPI Savage Xs has caught my eye. Any advice on which one would be better suited for what I want to do? Or suggestions for a totally different machine would be fine too...Really need some advice on what to get, I'm ready to pull the trigger. Also, I'd love to stay around the $300 range. Really hate to put any more than that into my first purchase. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
cumquat

Default RE: PLEASE help with first rc car/ truck purchase!

both will work well for your use but the xs will be more capable in the long run purely because it's 4wd. just throwing this out there, both need a battery and charger.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
v3n0m

Another one I'm looking at now is the Traxxas Stampede VXL. It cost more, but from what I see of it on youtube I think it'd be great for what I need. I think with it, a 3s 5000mah lipo and a imax b6 I'd pretty much be ready to go. I'll be at $500 instead of $300 but I wouldnt really mind as long as the machine is worth it. Anyone have any insight on the Stampede?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
cumquat

if you can swing $500 for a stampede, you can probably swing $550 for this
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-Syncro-24

with these
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved x2
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-5A-50W

i cant seem to find one at the moment but you can get an adapter to charge both packs at the same time. you want find a whole lot about this truck but it's made by one of the oldest companies in the industry.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

throw the $60 or so extra in and get a stampede 4X4 instead of the 2wd vxl its a quite a bit better built, and designed.

read good things about http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWUV&P=ML its a 8th scale buggy that will need 2 2S lipos though.

I'd reconsider a 3S if you are new and start with 2S if you go pede. 3S on traxxas RC's push them to the limits, and I wouldn't recommend it especially if you are new.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
v3n0m

Yes the 4x4 modelis the one I was reffering to. Its $400 for the kit, the 2wd is like $300 for the kit if I remember correctly. Do you think the Stampede would be better for me over the the other 2 I mentioned? How much different is running the battery it comes with vs a 2s? I was just going to run the one it came with till i got used to it then go to the 3s.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

the battery it comes with if I remember right is a 3300mah NiMh
that battery will not preform very well in a BL setup, and honestly I don't see why they don't knock $20 off the RC and stop including it
The charger that comes with it is also a piece of crap
getting a decent battery, and a cheap charger would be a bit over $70 on top of the RC costs if you shop around.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html $42
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-53...-hardcase.html $32
you would also need a traxxas battery connector to solder onto the battery, and charger wire as most do not have it

there are cheaper batteries I would recommend, but unfortunately they are way out of stock on the only site that sells them

But on the flip side that charger would charge that battery up in an hour, and should give about 25-30ish mins of run time vs the included charger taking 5 hours, and battery lasting 10-15 mins
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
DieHarder

My neighbor has an HPI Savage Xs. He runs it on 2S. That thing flies! It pulls wheelies, takes off like a rocket. I recommend the Savage Xs (Make sure it's 4x4), or the Traxxas Summit. But with the Summit, it needs 3S and some gear changes.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see, if you had the patients to learn nitro I would get a OFNA hyper 7 for $300 or a Hyper ss for $360.

1/8 scale buggies are TOUGH and most durable of all rc, and ofna makes the most durable ones out there, they are also capable in almost any terrain with the right tires.

take a look at the hpi bullets too, they are new in the states but look very tough (based on a 1/8 buggy frame)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
v3n0m

Man...At this point i dont know what in the world to do. Theyre are just so many options. I'm leaning mostly now towards the stampede...or maybe the rustler, Idk. This is a hard decision lol.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM
cumquat

here's how you decide, go to http://www.towerhobbies.com/ and open each truck in it's own window and arange them so you can see them all. now, close your eyes and move the cursor around the screen a bit. what ever one it lands on is the one you get. this way if you dont like what you got, you can blame your mouse.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 PM
thehuntingterminator

I owned a Rustler VXL and was always happy with it, but there are better options I think for the price.
ORIGINAL: v3n0m

Man...At this point i dont know what in the world to do. Theyre are just so many options. I'm leaning mostly now towards the stampede...or maybe the rustler, Idk. This is a hard decision lol.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM
thehuntingterminator

I just wanted to post a link to show how durable the Rustler can be (and Stampede because they share a lot of parts). This was with a mostly stock older Rustler VXL with RPM a-arms and Venom 4200mah 7 cell NIMH pack. Let me know what you guys think?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtznNp2Lpk0[/youtube]
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
v3n0m

Wow...I know The Rustler vxl can be had for like $320 new vs $400 new for the Pede 4x4 but I'm still leaning towards the pede. I'm really liking the idea of 4x4 and being completely waterproof for the type of driving I want to do. At first I was really impressed with the Savage xs been the more research i did the more turned off by it I became. It seems alot of people have had esc issues out of them and most of them say that it really isnt really all that great out of the box and Id be better off spending my money elsewhere.   So far the Stampede vxl 4x4 is at the top of my list with the Rustler or Firestorm in second. Still not 100% sure what way to go and as much as I hate it (because I really want one NOW) I'm going to just continue researching a bit more before I make my decision.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
cumquat

have you considered the kyosho i suggested? it's a better value for the money than the stampede. it costs the same yet it has more power, better stability, better scale appearances, more durable (notice, every time someone says their traxxas is durable, they also say the have rpm arms...) and it's something most people wont have.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM
v3n0m

Yes I checked into it. I do like it but I cant find anything about it being 100 percent waterproof like the stampede which is a huge plus to me. There also doesnt seem to be as much aftermarket support for it vs the 2 Traxxas cars.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
cumquat

water proofing is easy, all you need is a tube of silicone glue, also called shoo goo. put a bead around all seams of the esc and receiver. it wont be submerge-proof, but neither is the stampede. as for aftermarket, there is a reason traxxas has aftermarket support and kyosho and the other race-born companies dont; they dont need much. also, 1/8 scale rc's are significantly stronger than 1/10 scales. look on youtube, you can find people jumping their houses with 8th scales with very little damage done, you never see 10th scales doing that. plus, you know, bigger is better
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
DieHarder

I suggest that you go with the HPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4wd Waterproof 2.4 GHz RTR. It is fast, strong durable, and a bang for your buck. It's also in your price range at $297.99!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I suggest that you go with the HPI Racing Savage XS Flux 4wd Waterproof 2.4 GHz RTR. It is fast, strong durable, and a bang for your buck. It's also in your price range at $297.99!
Just don't go with the SS (kit) version or run 3s. Run 2s and get the RTR and you'll have fun.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Just don't go with the SS (kit) version or run 3s. Run 2s and get the RTR and you'll have fun.
why shouldnt you get the SS? it doesnt have any esc issues (seeing as it doesnt come with one) and it comes with several parts the rtr doesnt (to help justify the price). it is a better choice if you end up putting a new esc in it anyway.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: cumquat

why shouldnt you get the SS? it doesnt have any esc issues (seeing as it doesnt come with one) and it comes with several parts the rtr doesnt (to help justify the price). it is a better choice if you end up putting a new esc in it anyway.
I personally didn't enjoy the build, AT ALL. Missing pieces later found in a completely separate part of the build, extra hardware, not all that great of directions, etc. Simply put, I wouldn't recommend it. And if you take a gander at my signature you'll notice that I no longer own mine...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM
DieHarder

Still thing you should go Savage.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

psst. get a duratrax evader for $120 or $250 for brushless
or get a electrix ruckus for $130

better quality at 1/3 the price, trust me here, im not just whistling Dixie
Old 07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

psst. get a duratrax evader for $120 or $250 for brushless
or get a electrix ruckus for $130

better quality at 1/3 the price, trust me here, im not just whistling Dixie
hint: you can get the evader at ultimate hobbies for $95 last i checked.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

I personally didn't enjoy the build, AT ALL. Missing pieces later found in a completely separate part of the build, extra hardware, not all that great of directions, etc. Simply put, I wouldn't recommend it. And if you take a gander at my signature you'll notice that I no longer own mine...
don't do many kits eh?
how was the piece missing if you found it?
I've had tamiyas group part so asinine it wasn't remotely funny. Hell 90% of my time building a kit is trying to locate parts.
Want to see unused parts on a tree look at the OFNAs some parts trees you literally use ONE piece out of 10 on the tree and they give you like 2X more screws sometimes than needed lol
seriously though out of 2 crt .5's I had enough screws to last me 2 years I also have 1 CRT box filled with unused parts trees lol
I will say tamiya is EXACT on parts trees though don't think I've had one piece left over on any (not even screws)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.