Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Twin engine mounting

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
bogateer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin engine mounting

I'm building a 1/2 A-26 and I was wondering about how to mount the engines (two TD .051s). For aesthetics I'd like to mount the cylinders facing outward toward each respective wingtip. The twin control planes I've seen have the cylinders facing outward though. Will the TD not run as I propose...do I need to mount both cylinders facing outward (towards the outside of the circle vice toward each wingtip)?

thanks

Rob
Old 12-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Twin engine mounting

Your problem is getting the fuel tanks in the right place for each engine. I have tried it with both cylinders pointing toward the centerline of the airplane and have not been able to get the outside engine to run right. I don't know what the problem is as I think I have it set up so it should work.

Jim
Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 AM
bogateer

Thanks Jim...I appreciate your input.

Rob
Old 11-24-2005, 01:46 AM
64stang

What company made the A-26 kit that you have?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:04 PM
64stang

Seriously.........where did you get your A-26 (Invader???) control line kit, I've been searching for one for a while w/out luck!!! [sm=confused.gif]
Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 PM
64stang

Does anyone know of a A-26 Invader control line kit???
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a set of plans for a 15 size A-26 profile off of e-bay for 5.00 and a buck fifty shipping. He has a set and recopies them and relists them every week or so. There actually pretty nice. The sellers ID is loughbd. If the set is not listed try him again in a couple of days. as of right now he has a set listed for another day or so.

Dennis
Old 12-11-2005, 08:33 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about your tanks, but I think there is a tank-mount for that engine. If I remember correctly, there is a somewhat hard tubing pickup inside that's positioned to one side of the tank and down. Mounting the engines in opposite orientation would have one pickup pointing one way and the other pointing the other way. If you're using those (black plastic I think) tanks that'd be one thing to look out for.

Most model engines have such pressures and gas flow rates inside them when they're running that they don't react to their orientation at all. So the engines themselves will probably run as equally in that model as they do on the bench. Fuel systems on the other hand are a real pain.

By the way, the engines in a Ukie actually see less force from flying in circles than they'd see in a loop, and they do inside loops and outside loops pretty much the same irrespective of their mounting orientation don't they, that is, when the bloody tank is positioned properly.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:11 AM
d_bodary

Well i guess i screwed up the plans are no longer listed. Have no idea why. Hopefully it was nothing i said in the earlier post.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 AM
kdheath

Looks like loughbd has gone off eBay. However, the A-26 is a design by Clair Sieverling from the July 1962 MAN. I have a pretty good copy of the plans and could be persuaded to make copies for whatever the costs are. It's a 45"WS profile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21379.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	379010  
Old 01-01-2006, 12:36 PM
d_bodary

that is the same one. Have a couple of questions about building the wing. never built a control line plane with dehiedral before. on the ribs do you know of the spacing to put between the table and trailing edge to create the wing half. I know on a straight wing you put a piece of stock under the trailing edge and that creates the wing. Usually the size of the stock is listed in the instruction manual. but alas no construction manual. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis