Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

TF FS ARF CG

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Mdub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF FS ARF CG

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker Mike here.
Kinda of getting back into UC with my (adult) nephew after a couple decade break.
Purchased a TF FS ARF with an LA25 w/9x6 prop.
Set it up per instructions, CG 3" back from leading edge, pushrod in middle hole of bellcrank,
and on last hole of ele. horn.
Had to add 2.5 ounces of lead to tail to balance.

Using 60ft lines and stock Brodak non adj. handle, took off and it was EXTREMELY sensitive.
Due to instructions telling you to plumb tank backwards (instructions say to use muffler pressue on top
and plug bottom, thereby saturating fuel with air by percolation) Made it about 3/4 of a circle before engine quit (upwind of course!) Lines went slack and she "landed" pretty hard.

After repairs, moved CG to 2" from leading edge, and replaced ele. horn with one twice as long.
Took of, still seemed VERY sensitive, went around about 1-1/2 times before I got to low and well...
Ya' know... blink of an eye... you know the rest.

Probably ham fisted it too low but it sure seemed awfully touchy.
So my question is "Where should the CG on this model be?"
Thanks in advance for any help in succesfully burning a whole tank through this thing!
Regards,
Mike

Nothing is foolproof, to a sufficiently talented fool!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: TF FS ARF CG

Mike,

If memory serves, the CG on the original kit was about 1 1/4" behind the LE. Top Flite was notified about the incorrect CG...about two years ago. Apparently they did not see fit to correct it. You have a good combination there. I would suggest trying a 9x4 or 10x4 prop to slow lap times to about 5 seconds.

Good luck with it.

George
Old 11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Mdub

Thanks for that George,
I was thinking it was a little fast. Overpropped + tail heavy = !
Will try it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Regards,
Mike
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Glen Wearden

The Flite Streak was a handful for me no matter how I tried to trim it. I guess I'm too old and too slow. That rascal seemed to fly me, rather than me flying it. I've got the ARF Nobler and the Tutor II, and I'll take them over the FS anyday. I gave the FS away to a young man who wanted to use it as a "TRAINER" Glen Wearden
Old 11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Mdub

Well I'm going to try to tone it down as much as possible.
I think the original FS was a combat trainer wasn't it?
Flew a FS and a Ringmaster back around '71-'72
All this talk of carbon pushrods (funny that stuff didn't even exist in it's present form!) and stuff...
Didn't we used to set them up so the control rod pulled for up with the horn on top of the elevator?
Can't wait to get around the circle!
I really like the looks of the Tutor as well as the Smoothie.
Are there any Smoothie ARF's still available?
Thanks,
Mikke

'Round and 'round she goes, where she'll stop, nobody knows....
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 PM
kdheath

Our club will often put four FSs on the line on a given Sunday. With the LA 25 the APC 9-4 seems to be the prop of choice. But we've flown them with Fox 25s, OS fp 20s, and LA 25s. If it's too touchy, use the heavy stock muffler, put a heavy hub or spinner on it and slow the controls down by using the outside hole on the control horn and the inside one on the bellcrank. You can also narrow the line spacing at the handle. We fly ours on 58 foot .015 lines with the FP 20. It never will fly like an Impact, but you can get it more manageabe.

We also have several Tutors and Noblers and a couple of ARF Orientals and they are all terrific. I especially like my LA 46 powered Tutor.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my ARF Flite Streak last fall after watching John Benders' fly. Both LA 25 powered with his fuel tank design. Did not check CG when I assembled it. Had to do coke can modification as the wing showed no signs of warpage, but, flew wing high upright and winglow inverted. Now flies straight and have numerous patterns on it in decent weather. Prop of choice is the Top Flite 10-4 power point with Sig 10% fuel. Flying on .012 cable at 60 ft center of handle to center of plane. The grandaughter has taken it over and lets me fly it once in a while. The original Flite Streaks were built as full blown combat planes in its day. Anyway balance on the spar or just a little ahead. Good luck, DOC Holliday
Old 11-13-2005, 08:46 AM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine balanced ahead of the spar and I still wound up taking some tailweight off. We fly ours with an FP 20 and APC 9-4 prop. On 60' lines it flies a 5.1 second lap. I also moved the elevator pushrod out the last hole to reduce sensitivity.

Ours flies wonderfully now - wings dead level upright and inverted, no hinging or other bad handling tendencies.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
flyinryan
My Feedback: (1)

I have flown my bro's FS, I liked it a lot...I got the ARF on order, cant wait to get it in the air!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:05 PM
robear1053

I threw this suggestion out on a CL combat group on Yahoo. How about a Flite Streak only speed limited combat contest? Omaha will be adding it to their October 2006 contest. Anyone else interested? Seems to me a couple of OS 25s and about 3 planes (maybe $250 total) would keep you flying combat all summer.
Bob Furr