Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Lines for control line planes

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Lines for control line planes

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
kickstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lines for control line planes

Being new to control line what type of lines can you use and where can you buy them at? I have a .15 size plane at this time and need lines for it. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Lines for control line planes

For anything larger than the little 1/2A ships, you need either steel cable or single strand steel. Only the very top contest flyers mess with single strands-figure on cable.

The AMA has contest rules for line size that most people follow because they are pretty sensible rules. Here's the AMA web site page. Scroll down a little to find the table of line diameters:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/05...ook/claero.pdf
Your 15 size plane can fly on .012 diameter steel cable lines, probably 52 to 58 feet long. We have a 15 size plane that my son flies and we use .015/58 foot lines because they aren't as fragile and they actually slow the plane down to a more comfortable speed.

Suppliers include Sig, Brodak, RSM Distribution, and Sullivan. Most of these are line "kits" where you get the cable and parts and need to wrap the ends. The Sullivans are ready to fly, but you have to confirm that the length on the box in what you actually get. They vary all over. Guys who make up a lot of lines buy a 1000' spool of cable. It's surprisingly cheap that way.

For length, you have to experiment a little. Base the length on how you and the plane like the way it flies. If you need some help with wrapping the ends I can find you some info. The AMA rule book under CL General has pictures of how to do it.

Kelvin
Old 12-12-2005, 08:53 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kickstart,

I would second starting with the .012 x 52' lines, and that is a standard size. What plane and engine are you flying?

George
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM
kickstart

I purchase a VMAR Viper at a yard sale and I really haven't even put it all together yet, I am just trying to get some information on this control line flying. I do fly RC and found this and deceided to give it a try. Engine size I don't have one yet, I'm looking around for a good .15 or .18 size for it. Thanks for the information on the lines, I can now start looking for them.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kickstart,

If you already have an engine of the required size, you can wire the carb open and use it for CL. I am not familiar with that plane so I can't help there.

George
Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 AM
kickstart

I don't have a small engine that will fit, I'll keep looking for one that will work. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:55 AM
kdheath

Like George, I'm not fmiliar with that model. But making a couple of assumptions...For sport CL flying, with a model of a finished weight of 16-20 ounces, the OS LA 15 is a lovely motor. My son flies the wheels off his 15 size planes with the LA. Don't transfer your RC experience directly across, because RC and CL are pretty different in terms of the kind of power you need. If you buy a hot BB Schneurle engine and set it to scream. it'll twist you right into the ground. Is this the model you bought? It's cute and would probably convert to CL OK. And at the stated weight (minus the weight of the radio gear), the LA 15 would be perfect and cheap.

Viper
Sport Electric ARTF
Wing span 1000mm (39â€) - Wing area 17 sq.dm. (240sq.in.) - Length 700mm (27â€) - Weight 700g (1.6lbs) - Motor included 400 geared - Radio required 4 channel - 22 amp speed controller required - Power required 8.4v 800mAh nicad

Viper Sport Electric ARTF
click image to enlarge

Factory built and covered fuselage including cockpit detail, 400 geared motor included and fitted. Vacuum formed clear cowl. Wire undercarriage with wheels. One piece built and covered wing. This sport electric model certainly looks the part. The model even comes with propeller and extra gears.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2005, 04:02 PM
kickstart

The one that I have is a VMAR Viper ARF, looks just like the one above but mind is a little smaller. You can buy it in two different setups, Control Line, Glow RC, this is the Control Line version.

Specifications:

Span: 33.5"
Area: 260 sq in
Airfoil: Fully Sym Wing
Dihedral: None
Engine: .15 - .25
Old 12-14-2005, 04:52 PM
kdheath

OK, cool. I missed the CL version. Based on the wing area, I wouldn't use anything bigger than the 15 LA. Let me throw on a picture of my son's little ship. It's 31" span, about 275 square inches and one pound. It flies like mad on the LA 15. You could use more engine, but the increase in weight ruins the benefit a lot of times, on CL planes.

Do you have a URL for a source? I'd be interested in having more info on the Viper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75640.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	370091  
Old 12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
kickstart

I'll see what I can find out and get back to you on this.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:29 PM
kdheath

Thanks! Lots like something kind of different.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
kdheath

Ahah, Bobby sent me pictures. It's cute. The only issue we find on the low wing CL planes is that the vertical CG is high, so they roll out while going around the circle, flying with the outside wing low. That's why the leadout guides are mounted above the wing tip the way they are, to get the tether point closer to the center of mass. At 260 square inches, a mild 15 will be plenty of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30859.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	371201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11647.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	371202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99401.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	47.6 KB