Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Wing Joining Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Aug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Joining Problem

Greetings,
I am a RC flyer but I've never had a powered Soring model. I came by this one at a flea market and couldn't pass it up. It came with an OS 15 but I've converted it to electric. My question is what is the proper way to hold the wing sections together besides the rubber bands that hold the wing to the fuselage? I placed a 1/4" dowel into the wings where there were holes but it does not seem to be strong enough. Should I just go ahead and fix the two sections together permanently then nylon bolt the wing to the fuselage?

Also where do I locate the C.G. for balance? Anyone know this model? Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32338.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1485794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25746.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1485795  
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
KenD
My Feedback: (65)

Default RE: Wing Joining Problem

I believe you should use a steel rod or a carbon fiber rod.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
tjones1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plane appears to be a Butterfly 2. My butterfly2 uses total of 8 rubber bands with stock dowels and a hardened steel rod for joining the wings together and holding wings to fuse. I have added a screw in bottom of each wing with a rubber band to keep the wings together. I have had my plane since 1987 and only had to replace the wings with a reinforced wing. I have a old .25 OS performance motor. Love the plane.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not just a belief but a DEFINITE REQUIREMENT to use a music wire steel joiner rod. Do NOT even use the basic 1/4 inch steel rod from the hardware store either. It needs to be the spring tempered steel found in music wire or some other properly hardened and spring tempered rod.

Carbon fiber rod would be another option but it won't take the same punishment and not burst as the music wire rod.

Tjones, maybe you could let Aug know where your version balances.

Hey Aug, you may also want to cover the stabilizer....
Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Aug

Thanks guys I will use the spring wire rod. The photo was taken the day I got it and the tail feathers have been covered since. I assume you used the standard 1/3 from the leading edge near the fuselage as a balance point on the wing. Right?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That would be a good start. From there you may want to fine tune it using some dive testing. If you don't know what that is try a search for it. I've written up how to do it more than once around here.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM
tjones1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Aug

Thanks guys I will use the spring wire rod. The photo was taken the day I got it and the tail feathers have been covered since. I assume you used the standard 1/3 from the leading edge near the fuselage as a balance point on the wing. Right?
ORIGINAL: BMatthews

That would be a good start. From there you may want to fine tune it using some dive testing. If you don't know what that is try a search for it. I've written up how to do it more than once around here.
The answer to the balance point for AUG is, at the wing spar.
Make sure when you have a tendency to fly above 1,000 ft. you have contrasting color covering so you can see the plane.
Reinforce wing spars with carbon fiber as the wing will flex if extra spped is accomplished. (Like for a loop).