Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

covering

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
madmanmikie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering

can monokote with the windex method and trim solvent be applied to a plastic abs cowling
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 AM
chemie

Default RE: covering

I would not use trim solvent on any plastic
Old 09-26-2010, 05:31 PM
madmanmikie

is there a method for applying monokote to plastic cowlings and plastic wheel pants cause i would like to continue the trim sceam from the fusalodge through cowling thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, yes there is.....IF the surface(s) to be trimmed are relatively flat. That is, no compound curves that would make the Monocote wrinkle. Use the Windex method. Let dry thoroughly (a few days. preverably in a hot summer sun). Seal the edges with something like BalsaRite (for monocote). Worked fine for me. If going over a compound curve area (where after it dries parts of the edges have lifted) then you'll have to slice the trim and stick it down again. The BalsaRite keeps the edges stuck down if the rest of the trim piece is in contact with the original surface. I've had good luck with this over a painted surface. Never tried it over plain bare plastic.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM
madmanmikie

Thank you, golf4two. I was worried that I would have to try and find the different colors of paint in spray cans that I know I wouldn"t find to make it match. And to have the graphics end at the cowling wouldn"t look that great. So i was thinking of just leaving the cowling just plain white. But now with this info I can atleast try to make it hopfully match the rest of the 300s plane
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it several times on moderately curved surfaces using the windex method. Then...after dried I sealed with medium heat then striping tape around the edges for further sealing. The attached pic of my M12 was done that way. In the pic I had not yet applied the black trim tape around the pearl yellow on the side of the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77023.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1508062  
Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: loser

I have done it several times on moderately curved surfaces using the windex method. Then...after dried I sealed with medium heat then striping tape around the edges for further sealing. The attached pic of my M12 was done that way. In the pic I had not yet applied the black trim tape around the pearl yellow on the side of the cowl.
When you say "sealed with medium heat" did you simply heat the entire perimeter of the trim piece? If so, how wide of a perimeter seal did you heat?