Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

HPI R40 clutch assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPI R40 clutch assembly question

Please help!

I'm trying to install the clutch as outlined on page 36 of the HPI R40 assembly manual and I just don't understand how it's supposed to work. The inset at the top of the page shows "0.5mm-0.8mm" clearance between what appears to be 87095 and the end of the shaft. When using a standard shaft engine, 87093 sticks out far past the end of 87095. How is this 0.5-0.8mm clearance supposed to be measured?

I've only built 2 nitro kits before (both HPI RS4 SS) and they had the simpler style clutch (2 shoes) as opposed to the Centax style clutch in this kit.

Any help will be greatly appreciated-

Tony Pacini
Prescott Valley, AZ
Old 11-16-2003, 09:36 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HPI R40 clutch assembly question

I don't have one, but I had a little problem I think was like what you are trying to describe w/ my STS .12 w/ a Centax clutch. That's what you're talking about, right, a Centax style clutch? If so, then I think you need a SG style crank engine? Either that, or, you need to use shims to get the end of the pilot shaft in the right spot? Are you talking about between the end of the shaft and the bearing? I had to shim behind the collet, before installing the flywheel. As for the clearance of 0.5-0.8mm clearance, I go by feel, and all you need is enough to keep the clutch from dragging, or rubbing. A (very) little play is all you need, then you re-adjust it after you run it a little. Can you post a picture so we can see if we're on the same page, so to speak?
Old 11-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Tony Pacini

This kit uses standard or SG shafts. For standard shaft (like I have) you use 87093 (see step 48). This adapter is longer than the 87092 used for SG engines.

Now look at step 49: see the 0.5mm-0.8mm dimension called out in the diagram? How would this be measured on the longer adapter? The adapter sticks out far past the end of 87095.

I understand the clutch bell endplay as shown at the bottom of page 36 (I'm used to that). I just don't understand the dimension at the top of the page. Perhaps I'll have to shim behind the collet as you did.

Any R40 builders out there?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56070.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	75266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78235.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	75267  
Old 11-17-2003, 12:59 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, I don't know, will the shorter adapter work? If I understand you correctly, the adapter sticks out too far past the spring retainer/ adjuster? Maybe you can send an e-mail to HPI and ask them?
Old 11-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Tony Pacini

The instructions say that the short adapter is only for the SG shaft. I'm not saying that the adapter sticks out too far past the spring retainer/adjuster; it just sticks out a lot farther than 0.5-0.8mm as illustrated in the diagram. Perhaps the diagram shows the other (short) adapter.

I have e-mailed HPI and hope to hear from them soon. I had hoped that someone out there had already built an R40 and could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks so much for trying to help.

Tony Pacini