Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Does This Look Right

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Witterings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does This Look Right

Hi All,

Just interested to see if you think this motor box looks as it should ????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94217.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1057847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52759.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1057848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74528.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1057849  
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does This Look Right

No, it's warped as you probably expect someone to say.

If you can crack the glue joints, it can be straightened and reglued. ARFs usually have joints that need gluing, maybe those will release without too much trouble.

The important thing is that the thrust line of the motor points where it should. A less important detail is that the cowl fit without too much obvious misalignment. If you don't straighten the framework, the motor can be shimmed. We do it all the time for other reasons.

With today's ARFs, it's not exactly a surprise, but it is something that most ARF factories do better. If we're going to rely on someone else to do work they don't really understand, we got two choices. Learn to deal with sending back less than acceptable work, or learn to fix it ourselves.

BTW, what is the model? and mfg?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, it looks like it might give the model some up and right thrust. Few midwing models need up thrust. But eyeballing from the side ought to give you some idea.

Stick a yardstick to the side aligned to the wing's centerline. That'll help show you the up/down thrust of the engine. Who knows, maybe the bulkhead that motor box is glued to is out of alignment the other direction. A yardstick masking taped to the underside of the fuselage along it's centerline should help show you the side thrust.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Witterings

da rock,

Many thanks for your input, do appreciate !!!!!!!!!!

Hope you don't mind but I'm trying to be diplomatic and I'd rather not say who the munufacturer is just at the moment (don't mind later on) as they're looking at it as well and am waiting to see what the outcome of that is. Personally I think they're going off in a different direction as to what's actually wrong with the plane and as I@m not the greatest of builders and am still learning was interested in other peoples opinions and again why my question had so little information as I didn't want to lead anybody.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted !!!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Doc Austin

Fly it and see what it does. It might be ok. As long as the thrust angles are right it doesn't matter how cockeyed it looks.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: da Rock
With today's ARFs, it's not exactly a surprise, but it is something that most ARF factories do better. If we're going to rely on someone else to do work they don't really understand, we got two choices. Learn to deal with sending back less than acceptable work, or learn to fix it ourselves.
Was this a pre-built/pre-installed motor box though? This may be a jigsaw kit motor box that is constructed by the user?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Witterings

It was pre built !!!

As I've had some problems with it both the Maunfacturer and LHS are looking at to see if they can find a resolution to the problem !!!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Fliprob17

Ok.

Just wondered if it was the factory assembly/production, or possibly warped individually pieces of supplied material.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Witterings

ORIGINAL: ADChobbystore

Ok.

Just wondered if it was the factory assembly/production, or possibly warped individually pieces of supplied material.

Thanks for the input anyway, always appreciated !!!!!