Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

filling shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
buggyracer5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filling shocks

One of my shocks lost all of the fluid inside. My question is what kind of oil do I fill it with? Were can I get it?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
NitroBobby

Default RE: filling shocks

any LHS should have pure silicone shock oil in a wide array of viscosities (weights). which one to use depends on several things including what kind of car you have and how you drive. generally speaking the lower the weight of the oil (viscosity) the lighter (thinner) it will be and it will provide less damping action. there are other things that will effect the damping as well, including the number/size of the holes in the plate that slides inside the shock piston. i typically use 40 weight in my t-maxx. it seems good to me for all around driving. i would say to buy one or two bottles of different viscosities and see what suits you. you'll want to use the same fluid in all of the shocks (well, you can use different weights, but that will come with tuning experience) so empty the others and refill them with the new fluid.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
nothinbetr2do

if you don't have a lhs, you can always get some from here http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...+oil&search=Go
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Dokioto

If your not changing the other three shocks oil make sure you use the same WT in the empty one as the other three..
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM
NitroBobby

ORIGINAL: Dokioto

If your not changing the other three shocks oil make sure you use the same WT in the empty one as the other three..
i thought about this. i was assuming he didn't know what was in the other three based on the fact that he didn't know what to put in. that's why i recommended doing all 4.

but you're absolutely correct. if he knows what weight oil is in the other 3, just use the same weight and fill the empty one.

also, try to figure out why the oil leaked out in the first place. you might need a rebuild kit.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Dokioto

Thats a good point, if all the oil leaked out you might need more than just oil.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
buggyracer5

I lost all the oil because I hit a tree and bent the crap out of the shock. I did order a rebuild kit. thanks for the info.