Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

savage x rear diff problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
chino185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default savage x rear diff problem

hello, when i put the differential back in place and put everything back on it does a cracking noise, i tried taking it out and putting it back on about 5 or 6 times and the same happens, any ideas of waht it is or how to fix it?
thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM
jackrobinson

Default RE: savage x rear diff problem

There are a few things you need to check. Let me list them out for you cos I had a very similar problem.
1: Check that the shims are not bent inward. That would make them gears too tight.
2: Check that the gasket isn't worn out either. Being worn out and thin causes the differential to close tighter.
3: The small rectangular pieces that hold the spider gears, they are absolutely flat on one side and a little rounded off on the other. The flat surface must face outward. Trust me, it makes a difference.
If all these are taken care off, the crackling and grinding noise will go. The first point itself will make all the difference.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Oregon mud

Are you sure its in the diff? Take it out and turn it to see if its inside or not

It could also be a bearing getting ready to let go.

Also could be a grub screw has backed out and it hitting some thing when the cup turns.

Without us hearing the noise it makes it harder to help.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 AM
jumpanddrop

where are the shims???. i took my difs apart and i could see where they arer
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 AM
chino185

hi, thnx for the replies, i realized that when i tightened the screws that hold the skid plate the wheeles only turned one quarter of a turn but the differential worked fine, i took out those two screws and its seems to be working properly but it makes a noise it didnt make before, like rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.