Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Sport or Hobby Please vote!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
yes it is a sport
25.00%
No it is just a hobby
68.06%
Other please tell us what you think
6.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Sport or Hobby Please vote!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
weil0127

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport or Hobby Please vote!!!!!!!

Im doing a reaserch project for a class and need to know your opinion. This only pertains to racing and sport boating. I need to know if you think racing R/C boats is a sport. I will be doing these polls every week so if you could keep participating for the next few months that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
dicko

Default RE: Sport or Hobby Please vote!!!!!!!

I voted sport, because when I race them it's a sport, but I also have fun boats that I don't race & I class as a hobby.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you define a sport, as a physical challenge that enough people want to watch to make it a sport. Define a hobby, most people will say it's something you do to pass the time that you enjoy. So for me it's very much both ! The amount of concentration it takes to drive a complete race and win is a very rewarding exsperience, That some folks will never understand. So they will call it a hobby. Maybe if we put budweiser on the side we could call it a sport.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
HOOTERS racing

well put jamming most of the people i meet ask do we win money and when i say no and tell them the costs involved
they think were all nuts i know i get huge buzz out of winning a big event

cheers ian
Old 01-29-2009, 01:21 AM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: Jamming

If you define a sport, as a physical challenge that enough people want to watch to make it a sport. Define a hobby, most people will say it's something you do to pass the time that you enjoy. So for me it's very much both ! The amount of concentration it takes to drive a complete race and win is a very rewarding exsperience, That some folks will never understand. So they will call it a hobby. Maybe if we put budweiser on the side we could call it a sport.
Well said Jammin.... for other's .... it runs between "Passion" and "Obsession" whether it's sport or play,it's a Win-Win situation........
Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
45deepvee

its a hobby. i look at it this way. if you do it as recreational and for enjoyment its a hobby. if you get paid to do it and practice, have leagues, every week liek a schedule, and all the fun is gone its a sport

if i had to do it all the time, as something i had to do say part of a league, or group that does it all the time i ould hate it. i consider it a hobby
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me personally its a hobby but for those that race its a sport so i supose it depends wether you just do this for fun or competition.For me all the fun would disapear if i was racing because theres far too much politics involved and i cant be bothered with all that.For those that enjoy all that kinda stuff thats fine but for me this is nothing more than a hobby or should that be obsession.
Mart
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM
V8Rider

For me this started out as a hobby and still is. I take great pride in the finish product of building a boat. For a while I raced my boats and for a while, I did very well. Then I learned all about the politics and the thory of "he who has the most money wins". I had a few boats trashed in races. People said " you can't worry about that, that is racing!" Well I put way too much time and effort into my boats to accept "propellor tracks" across my decks! So for me, this is a hobby that I enjoy very much.

Rick
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Jamming

I vote for RC Boat racing in the olympics. I would be glued to the TV.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
weil0127

Keep up the great voting. This is really helping me out. Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:51 AM
noahdear
My Feedback: (2)

It's no less a sport than horse racing where the human does nothing more than sit on the back of a horse and whip it.
So I vote for sport !

The results are disappointing though. In Australia we have a governing body, rules, regulations, insurance, clubs, competitions and championships. How can that be only a hobby?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Dreamin Hemi

I agree about the "sport" for all the reasons mentioned above. For a few of us, this has turned into sort of a small business, so could you also consider it "business opportunity" as well?

What started out for me as a simple concept of a hull design for myself and a buddy of mine ended up being a great source of income for me in the summer months here when school is out....I'm a high school shop teacher by profession. Me and a couple select students (pick of the litter) ended up pulling our 38'th hull before school was back and weather turned cold.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 PM
misshydro

It's a costly sport!!!! You spend 500+ for a mod ed motor. you could even up with 1500-2500 for a gas boat 1000 for a nitro boat 600 for FE boat.. I'm just going by boats for sale..and what some of you listed what you have into them...Plus you have the chance to get you boat smashed up...[:@][] Upset ego's too. No money for winning... Boy this is very discouraging
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 AM
JCAustralia

It's toys for adults

When we were young we could not afford many toys. Now as an adult with purchasing power I'm back with a vengeance

So far its been great but a money pit.....

JC
Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
monsterbrad

I would have to second that one
This is an adult hobby cause you need the money to support it and get into the initial cost of things.
Younger people get into it also but they have parents that have great jobs and good money.
I am 28 and just got my first large scale boat last summer and now a 5T and the list may grow more over the next year or so depending on how the economy works out.
Some younger kids should not have these things cause they can be very dangerous also.
But for the most part it is all in fun.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

It's a hobby. I see it as, it's not an official sport, so it's not. However, you need to remove the word "just"
Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 AM
GRANT ED

I consider anytime RC is done in competition, weather that is racing or scale comps or whatever then I call it a sport. If its done just for fun in your spare time then its a hobby.
My $.02.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

I consider anytime RC is done in competition, weather that is racing or scale comps or whatever then I call it a sport. If its done just for fun in your spare time then its a hobby.
My $.02.
Interesting to ponder the fact that recreational boating is often referred to as "Sport Boating".

Dictionary definition of a sport is typically tied to athletics. Other than a stubborn starting motor there is usually not a whole lot of exertion involved in RC boating. But thinking about it - Fishing it not normally too tough either - though it is often seen as a sport.

For my $0.02 I would consider RC Boating a hobby.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:40 AM
dicko

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

My $.02.
Interesting to ponder the fact that recreational boating is often referred to as "Sport Boating".

Dictionary definition of a sport is typically tied to athletics. Other than a stubborn starting motor there is usually not a whole lot of exertion involved in RC boating. But thinking about it - Fishing it not normally too tough either - though it is often seen as a sport.

For my $0.02 I would consider RC Boating a hobby.
If Chess competing is considered a sport, Racing RC boats should be to.

JMHO.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
MrMikeG

Chess is not a sport ether, just a hobby!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 AM
noahdear
My Feedback: (2)

Shooting is an olympic "sport" but what exertion does that require? Lie on your belly and pull a trigger, stand up and pull a trigger. The most athletic genre of olympic shooting would be trap shooting; you have to turn, tilt, aim and then pull a trigger. If that's sport then so is rc boating.

Wikipedia has the right definition "Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively". So by that definition, club rc boating as of the kind engaged in under the Australian Model Power Boat Association, for all intensive purposes is a sport.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Building nd collecting is the hobby part, racing is the sport. If you went by what ESPN must think of as a sport, then hot dog eating and spelling bees are sports.
In a country like Romania, R/Cing is considerd a sport and if you want to get started in the manufacture of R/C boats then the country will give you start-up money to get going.
The racing part must be a sport just like any other so-called sport if you put in the factor of strategies, i.e., setting up yours for the prevailing conditions and what line to drive. I get a good workout loading and unloading gear plus pull-starting a gas engine that just doesn't want to fire up.
To me, it's an addiction as I can't have just one.