Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Help finding a G62

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
flygilmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help finding a G62

I am looking for a 100% NIB Zenoah G62 for an upcoming project.

Also, if a person were to follow the manual and install the prop exactly as mentioned for hand flipping, how hard is the G62 (in its stock form) to start this way?? I have a G26 that starts super easy with a hand flip but it took about 1/2gal. for it to be able to do this reliably. Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Help finding a G62

You're not really supposed to post Wanted Adds in the forums, so I had to edit your post a bit.

You can post a WANTED classified FREE in the RCU Marketplace.
Here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/sell-1.cfm

You can also look on Ebay. There are several listed on that site right now.

Magneto starting:
I can't do it. Tried one time. Brand new motor and about 5000' elevation. It was WAAAAY out of tune, since it had just come from the factory and I was at such high altitude. But you can't tune it while it's running. Not unless you want to get your fingers less than 2" from a swinging meat cleaver. Not me.

So, I had to keep shutting it off and making an adjustment to the needles. Then start it again. I'm not one to "horse" the needles on a gas engine. I prefer to go little baby steps and creep up on the proper tune. Might take 5 starts, might take 20 starts.

Anyway, I had a horrible time starting this thing with a magneto. I must have flipped that prop 400 times that afternoon. [:@] I tried adjusting the prop location. My shoulder ached so bad I wanted to cut it off for the next 2 weeks after that. Never again.

A lot of guys can do it. Most people say it will get easier as the engine breaks in. Maybe I just didn't have enough patience? It was a new engine afterall and was severely out of tune. You can use the spring starter. A lot of guys use them, but it adds weight and complexity to the engine. The torrington clutch needs periodic maintenance (twice a year?) or it will seize.

The other option is a bolt on CH ignition. It's easy to install and works great. Thats what I use on the G62 engines. By the time you remove the magneto and coil, bolt on the CH unit and add your battery, the weight savings is about 4oz. But the SHOULDER savings is priceless IMO. [sm=lol.gif]

One other option is to use a CH Jumpstart. It's a bettery operated system that is only used on start-up. You build a little switch into your plane and use this hand held battery thingamajiggy when starting the engine. As soon as the engine starts, you disconnect the Jumpstart and put it in your field box. I've never used one of these, but a lot of guys have had GREAT success with them.

CH Ignitions:
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/
Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Daves Discount Motors...$299....No prop hub...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 PM
flygilmore

I checked out the above site and then went to Horizons. They, of course, will be out of the prop bolt and the hub bolts until mid April. I have searched and cannot find what size the prop bolt and the hub bolts are. Anyone have an accurate answer? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ralph Cunningham probably has a hundred stock hubs lying around. Call him. Get the motor for $299 at Daves and get a hub from Ralph. Got yourself a brand new G62 for around $350. Can't beat that with a stick!!

Ralph Cunningham. Leave a message, sometimes he's busy, but he will always call you back.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G-62 stock new at horizon hobbies.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=ZENE62A

Mine starts pretty easy, but its relatively new. G-62's like to be primed dripping wet out of the carb. There is a technique to starting, most call it slap the crap out of the prop. Its really not as bad as it sounds. But you have to orient the prop exactly as it says in the instructions. Then you have to make sure you follow through so the magnet passes the coil at the fastest speed during the flip.
Edwin
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM
flygilmore

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go the route mentioned and can hopefully get the hub and prop bolts easily. After talking with Ralph I will know a lot more

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:20 PM
triumph02002

http://www.tompierce.net/190/html/building/RCign.htm

Take a look at the g62 with electronic ignition. I'm ordering on tomarrow.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A complete Cunnnghan G-62 goes for $450.00. That's with all the good stuff.