Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Smoke system/Battery Question...posted it here to hopefully get an answer..

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Smoke system/Battery Question...posted it here to hopefully get an answer..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Purple Bird
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke system/Battery Question...posted it here to hopefully get an answer..

I'm curious to try smoke for the first time and want to do so in an Extreme Flight Yak 87. I currently use a Fromeco 2400 on the ign. and 2 2400's on the receiver.

Considering weight will be a big factor because smoke really isn't recommended for a 50cc sized plane, I was wanting to share the power off of one of the redundant receiver batteries or the ignition battery.

All of this wouldn't be a problem but I'm using XPS 2.4 which only has eight channels and I could use one more channel to have enough to run the power to the smoke system out of the receiver. I plan to ditch XPS once Futaba FASST hits the market, but again their receiver only has 8 channels.

Could I run a Y splitter out of the ignition battery to share the ignition with the smoke system or would that cause enough amp draw to cut my ignition out?

Could I run a Y splitter with one of the receiver batteries to power the smoke system?

Yes, I could run the receiver with one battery and use the other one solely for the smoke system, but I have had receiver batteries go bad..therefore I like to use a redundant setup.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke system/Battery Question...posted it here to hopefully get an answer..

ORIGINAL: Purple Bird

I'm curious to try smoke for the first time and want to do so in an Extreme Flight Yak 87. I currently use a Fromeco 2400 on the ign. and 2 2400's on the receiver.

Considering weight will be a big factor because smoke really isn't recommended for a 50cc sized plane, I was wanting to share the power off of one of the redundant receiver batteries or the ignition battery.

All of this wouldn't be a problem but I'm using XPS 2.4 which only has eight channels and I could use one more channel to have enough to run the power to the smoke system out of the receiver. I plan to ditch XPS once Futaba FASST hits the market, but again their receiver only has 8 channels.

Could I run a Y splitter out of the ignition battery to share the ignition with the smoke system or would that cause enough amp draw to cut my ignition out?

Could I run a Y splitter with one of the receiver batteries to power the smoke system?

Yes, I could run the receiver with one battery and use the other one solely for the smoke system, but I have had receiver batteries go bad..therefore I like to use a redundant setup.

On a 50cc plane Ying from either battery would be fine. You will still have enough current from the other RX battery. An ignition doesn't draw even close to the amount of current that a servo plug can handle. Of the two, I would Y the ignition battery. I run a DA-100 all day on a 4.8V 1900maH NiMH. Plus if that battery goes dead your smoke stops and your engine dies and you glide in with control. Could be a different story if it is from the RX, but you do have a redundant system so it would be 1 in a million if your batteries are good and fully charged

Another choice is to do what I do. I use a sperate smoke battery. A lipo pack weighs nothing and runs my system great. A Thunder Power Pro-Lite 1320 two cell lipo only weighs 58 grams (2 oz) and would run a smoke system all day no problem.

Choice is yours.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Smoke system/Battery Question...posted it here to hopefully get an answer..

A 300 mAh nimh out of a 2 channel electric will run a smoke system for a long time. You can wye off an existing battery if you want but I have reservations about using the ignition battery. The smoke system signal comes from the receiver so using a wye from the ignition to the smoke pump creates a potential noise loop between the ignition and the receiver. If you have plenty of receiver battery use that one.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I'm running a small 2 cell Li-poly on my TME smoke system, adds very little weight and runs a long time. Wyeing could cause some problems not worth taking in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

That plane you have there was assembled by a master---its prolly lighter than air!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Purple Bird

Joe,

How did you run the smoke when you had it setup?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I have run two planes with smoke off of the ignition battery. One with smart fly super switch and the two leads out(3W-80XI) to run the igntion and the TME smoke pump. The other an inline Y (G-62)on the ignition side,TME. The radio in both is PCM. I made sure I used a decent capacity battery for the two (6v-1950, 6v 1650). I also matched up 6v on the receiver meaning I did not run one voltage on the ignition and one on the flight battery.

It works fine. Just make sure you do an extensive range check and run the pump and all.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Purple Bird

Joe,

How did you run the smoke when you had it setup?
I laid the two tanks side by side, and put a lite ply plate across the fuse rails and mounted the pump and a 3c lipo--used a piece of velcro to hold everything down. I screwed down the plate so it was easy to remove if I wanted--The rails are still still there from what I remember.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28362.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	866883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31774.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	866884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57761.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	866885  
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Purple Bird

THANKS MAN!!!

You took pictures of everything? I don't know what you do for work but damn you're thorough with documentation!!!

I appreciate it Joe-

-Brad