Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Spektrum FAQs

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Spektrum FAQs

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:47 PM
ScooterTrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum FAQs

This is pretty good->[link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1423&Page=3]Spektrumrc[/link] Q & A![sm=thumbup.gif] Typical range is about 3000 feet, depending on conditions. Stupid newbe queston is Spektrum a brand or the way the signal is transmited? Example Does Airtronics, Hitec, Furaba, or other brand's have the Spektrum ststem's? Thanks, I want a great 3 channel system!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum FAQs

Spektrum is a brand, 2.4ghz is the frequency, I'm using a Futaba 2.4 for Powerboats and heli's, its great. Futaba were the first to invent the system, they have been using it in other technologies, telemetry for example for years. Most 2.4 systems are 6 channels or more but it is used on wheel/trigger 2channel car stuff also.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:55 AM
Tell 1uk

The only thing I would add to Garys comments is be carefull with the specktrum unit over water as there are issues with range, the futaba 2.4ghz unit which I also run does not seem to have these probs.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:41 AM
ScooterTrash

[:@] HI Tell 1uk.Thanks, that is my BIGGEST concern "Range" I read somewhere that the Typical range is about 3000 feet, depending on conditions. I might be wrong[sm=confused.gif] That is a long way a football field is 300 yards=900feet right? I am still asleep so I can't add. LOL From what GARY POPE said "Spektrum is a brand" & he is using a Futaba" but there is a lot type out there->[link=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Surface+Spektrum+rc+Radios&btnG=Search]Google[/link] Look here->[link=http://www.*********.org/spektrum.htm]*********[/link] The more I read the more I get [sm=confused.gif]I get. All I know is I need help picking out a good one for a $1,500.00 investmant. That is not a lot to $$$ to some, but to me it is! LOL PS: I just don't know what to get. I don't mind spendind the $$$ if it is worth it!!! Help me pick one PLEASE Thanks,
Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 AM
ScooterTrash

[8D]Hi GARY POPE, Is this what you have->[link]http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk2020.html[/link] & no problrms with distance? PS: From what I reas I like it![sm=thumbup.gif] But allway's open to yall experts!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM
madmodelman

Hi, no I use the 6EX 6 channel, which is neccessary for heli's. That set is as you know the 3 channel equvalent so should be just as reliable, range won't be a problem. They say 2.4 ghz does not like carbon but I run a carbon boat with no problems. I also prefer sticks to wheels & triggers, much smoother for racing I find.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Tell 1uk

I also use the 2.4ghz futaba 6ex for much the same reasons as Gary. Just to clarify the 2.4 ghz system does away with the use of crystals and binds your transmiter to yours and yours only chosen recievers therefore the outside interference factor is nullifed,also internal interference metal to metal and electrical are also disposed of, it is now considered to be one of the safest forms of R.C. The futaba unit also has a power done function will allows you to test the full range of your of your signal from close distance.The spektrum brand also use 2.4ghz technology but for some reason which as yet to be explained seems to have signal range probs over water, the strange thing is some people have no trouble while others have plenty if anyone can give me a answer to why this might happen I would like to know! IF you want this type of system then look at the futaba.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:30 PM
bigteeracing

i have been using the 2.4 ghz for 2 sesons now and would not go back to 40.00 mhz ever again
there were ranger problems with the first spectum sets but this can be over come , the add on spectum modules did not seam to have the range problems and i have spectrum as a back up
i have used nomadio this year and cant speek highy enough of it , the total package with the telementy and desk top pc set up is so good and so adaptable to the boating side of things
instalation in the radio box is no problem and the carbon /carbon kevlar interferance is not a proplem
glad to hear your radio is working as well gary , and a little birdy tells me that mr marles has gone over to the 2.4 ghz now and has put his multiplex up rof sale ,,,, cant be bad then !!!!!
tony
Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 PM
madmodelman

I know Tony, I recommended it to him, by the way he did very well in Germany, (sorry to go off topic)
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 AM
juicr

For flawless operation on the 2.4 system. Make sure it is a channel hopping version. Tha Futaba 2.4 Fasst and the new Airtronics 2.4 system use this channel hopping feature. That is the key for using 2.4 systems on water. I have been using the Futaba Fasst 3PM for months without any glitches.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM
madmodelman

Interesting that, I had no idea that Spektrum's didn't channel hop, I thought that was the idea of having two antenna's.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted SpeKtrum some time ago asking what the range is,their reply was "line of sight"...I guess that means if you can see it,you can control it...lol,as for the channel hopping,SpeKtrum locks on to two open chnls. should one "become lost",(highly unlikely)....[:-],but one thing that was mentioned and verified about the futaba FASST system is that it DOES have a limited range (80yrds/mtrs??)which is listed in the owners manual...can someone verify that again please....I'm using a SpeKtrum module on a futaba 3pk...NO issues on the water whatsoever....
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
madmodelman

Hiya Bob, how you doing. I think Futaba are just covering their backsides to be honest. I have had no problems racing over water at some distance since I got mine, at least 100-150 metres. I feel very confident with it and since changing have not had even the slightest indication of a glitch. All inside a carbon fibre hull with no antenna poking out either. It's all crammed in the radio box.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gary,Glad to hear your havin a run-away season thats glich-free...LOL...Great thing about the SpeKtrum unit also is the built-in failsafe,which will also detect low-battery voltage and with it's last blast of juice,default to pre-determined settings...saved my butt more than a few times...[:-]
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Piranha2

Now I'm lost.......JR-no......Hitec-no........Airtronics-no.......Specktrum-failsafe included-glitches over water.........Futaba-channel hopping-limited range........I'm running a 2PL-AM with no range or glitch issues, but.....I want better, as was previously stated, to protect my investment.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Spektrum has modules made for several brands of radio systems.
One important thing with them seems to be is that you need to have a good receiver battery pack.

Oh yeah, a football field is 100 yards or 300 feet.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:59 AM
Capt. Crackup
My Feedback: (1)

Do I understand that the Spectrom radios (DX7) does not freq hop?

Thanks Skip D
Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 AM
wayneuk01

Ive the specktrum dx3 as tell uk will confirm i do have issues in one part of the lake allmost every time & its defernatly not to far away from me .. Givern the choice again i would go with the futaba. Worst way if u dont like it u can allways give it to me to upgrade my radio ! Wayne

my only prob is i use it for my other two models so would require additional receivers one is a fg jeep no range issues wIth that one ever its only with the boats i have issues ive also apparently the later version of the specktrum with the updated receivers ..

i dont use hi power batterys maybe this is my problem 6v 950 -1000mah in the boats
6v 1500nicad in fg

must say apart from the issues on the water its a great radio
Old 12-07-2007, 04:19 AM
wayneuk01

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRDokrBS8Fo&feature=related] specktrum [/link]