Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier Laser 200

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Thumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Laser 200

I have a 1/4 scale Lanier Laser 200 kit that I am going to build. I seem to remember some sort of an error pertaining to the plans on this plane. Anyone know anything about this?
I am going to power it with an OS 1.08. As always, trying to build it as light as possible I was going to replace the ABS turtle deck (5.5oz) with a piece of 1/64 ply.
Anything else I should be looking for? The fuselage sides on this kit appear to be 1/8" light ply, not door skins.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Laser 200

I built this plane exactly according to the plans, but I put 2 elevator servos in the tail.HUGE MISTAKE. That wound up costing me almost 3/4 pound in the nose.

Build it with the servos where the plans indicate and you'll be rewarded with a model that weighs about 9 pounds RTF.

If your interested, I have the wings for mine. Perfect shape, except for a repair on the trailing edge of the root on one wing. Repair is about 2" long and 3/8" wide. No big deal. I just cracked the foam when I crashed it. Repaired it with 15 minute epoxy and a hobby brush.

I'll sell you the completed wings with Rocket City control horns for a nice price. Here is a pic. Bottom of the wings looks identical to the top, except for the checkerboard on the top of the right wing.

I just remembered; I installed a 2x1" hardwood block in the root of the wing for a 1/4--20 bolt. I used the 1/4--20 bolt to attatch the wing to the fuselage. I didn't like the idea of tapping the aluminum tube and using a small screw for the wing attatchment.

When you get ready to set the incidence, just have everything ready except for the wings. Glue your stab on. Then cut a 2" round piece of ply and drill a 1/4" hole in the center for your alignment dowel. Then you cut a 1/2" hole in the fuselage side where the dowel will set. You put the wing on the tube and slide it into place. It will fit sloppy in the 1/2" hole in the fuse. side. Put your incidence meter on the wing and then glue the 2" piece on the inside of the fuselage. When it dries-- your incidence is perfect.

Goog luck with it and feel free to email me with questions or if you want the wings I have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80220.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	67575  
Old 10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Thumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for replying. I'm far enough along on the wings that hopefully, I won't need to get any others, but you never can tell. I like the idea of using bolts thought the fuse sides instead of drilling the wing tube, seen a couple of failures here. (In both cases they managed to get the plane back on the ground safely, but is was close and REAL entertaining)
Later
Bill
Old 10-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has a 160 Magnum twin 4-stroke, with 3 servos in the tail (and battery!) Balances perfectly, inverted flight with little to no down elevator. Nice aerobatics, I don't fly it fast. Your 1.08 will probably be much faster.

My wings are held with plastic threaded studs epoxied into the foam, and a wing nut inside the fuselage to hold each one on. I cut the heads off toilet seat bolts to make mine.

Good luck,
Dave Olson