Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Engine ignition replacement cost !!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine ignition replacement cost !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine ignition replacement cost !!!!!!

While at the Perry swap meet last weekend I got a 30cc gas engine for a song and dance because it did not have a ignition with it. I knew I had some Rcexl ignitions and could probably make one of them work,

I started by using the original sensor but knew before I tried it would not work , Could get spark but the timing was at about 3mm above top dead center and I needed 28 deg for the Rcexl to work, So it took me about 20 min to install a new 1/8” magnet and new sensor to get the timing right, Presto runs like a clock.

In doing all this I started checking prices for replacement ignitions for different engines and got a shock.

Could not find exact prices for engines like 3W DA and BME but most were between $180.00-
$200.00 for a single and around $250.00 for a twin

Now the Evolution are $250.00 for single and $280.00 for a twin

Zenoah 20cc is $162.99 (over half the cost of engine)

Now back to the real world

C H ignitions has been building ignitions for longer than I can remember and to my opinion still make one of the best you can get in there original ignition and they can be repaired.

Cost for single with advance timing $109.95
Cost for twin with advance timing $159.95

Now the draw back in trying to use the C H ignition with some of the motors that have the over prices ignitions is the timing, C H ignitions have to be timed at 28 deg above top dead center and most of the over priced ignitions are timed at 3-5 mm above top dead center.

For most they can not make the changes in the timing but C H and Ralph at RC Ignitions it is no problem and the cost is reasonable. Now if you have a failure or crash you do not have to pay 2 time what the ignition is worth, Just send it in for repair.

The other rout is the Rcexl that has the same 28 deg timing, These can not be repaired but have to be replaced, Just like the higher priced ones.

Single ignition $79.95
Twin ignition $99.95

Just a little food for thought.

Below is a picture of the 30cc engine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19323.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	899055  
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine ignition replacement cost !!!!!!

Milton,
RCexcl ignitions are the very basics, and have no advanced gimmics. They work OK though, but do not have a security shut-off. Any kid that likes planes, and flips, or even turns the prop of the engine that you forgot to shut down properly will get hurt. That's the other side of the coin.
Also, the RCexcl ignition has no means of driving the choke servo. (not called to discuss the virtue of that item here). It also does not test if your battery has enough oomph left to last a three minute flight, Like the ICU does.
You get a mono radio, and you pay much less than a fullblown stereo right?? Both will last.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
RC Extreme power

Well I guess the above statements of mine are for the ones that like mono and can check there own battery and have the knowledge to install a choke servo.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hum...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: Milton

Well I guess the above statements of mine are for the ones that like mono and can check there own battery and have the knowledge to install a choke servo.
and who never forgets to shut off the ignition. With 28° advance, the engine bites back if you just handle the prop without flipping.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
RC Extreme power

Yes I have forgot to turn them off and might get bit the next time I start one but in 15 years have not got bit yet, But who know what the future holds
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pe,

Be nice. There's a whole bunch of people operating gassers in the States that do not and have not used the latest 3w ignitions with the auto shut off, or the MVVS with the choke function and auto shut off. If decades of history are to indicate anything at all, the lack of such functions has not been an issue and won't be until people become substantially dumber than they are. I certainly do see that happening so don't stop making the MVVS style ignitions just yet. There will be a need eventually.

Personally, I would not use an ignition activated choke function anyway. It's one more thing to go wrong and I don't use choke servos. Now If I'm so stupid or absent minded as to forget I turned my igniton on or off then I need to accept responsibility for my own actions and not look for a way to pass that responsibility over to someone else. There is no cure or protection for stupid, and manufacturers will never be able to "dumb down" a hobby where a high speed rotational guillotine or meat slicer is being used as a means of propulsion. Sooner or later people need to recognize and accept the fact that nothing is completely safe and nobody is getting out of this life alive.

CH and RC Exl ignitions work just fine and will continue to do so, regardless of the timing advance. Engines they are used on will run at lesser advance positions but just won't produce as many rpm. Engines will also run with a greater advance point but will definately be more prone to biting or kicking back. Ask those who race. The big issue with the RC Exl units is their cost. I'm certain that having such a low price is causing a lot of grief for those selling $200.00 ignitions.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
RC Extreme power

All I am trying to do in my first post was to show people that do not have deep pockets and have a RC budget a way to save a little money.
In no way am I saying one is better or worse than the other,.
DA, BME and some of the other US RC engine manufactures started with using CH ignitions but found that they could get them form Falkon cheaper and sell for more because they have private labels and there is no listed retail prices, Sure they have a chip that will do a little more but is it worth two to three times the money.

Just some more food for thought
Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
RC Extreme power

also have one more question, If someone has the misshap of a crash and damage the ignition, Can it be repaired or do they have to buy a new one,
CH can repair there ignitions and have found that most repairs to be from $25.00 to $50.00
Old 03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DA is proprietary and not a Falkon. BME found out the hard way that the Falkon ignition could cost more in warranty work and customer anger than was saved in a lower up front cost. CH is buried with production for uas units and has a hard time making extra for r/c use now, which is why they elected to add design input to the RC Exl units produced for them. It permitted them to still be able to effectively and confidantly service the r/c market that they have taken care of (and has taken care of them) for so long and still produce for their largest volume customers, which are not r/c related anymore. That's been my take on the situation in any case. You have no idea how long an average CH unit will run before failure. Most of us will not put that many hours on a running engine, or combination of engines, in our lifetime.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
pe reivers

Having said what I thought needed to be said:
Don't get me wrong. I have tested the ignition, and I am quite a fan of the RCexcl ignitions. I like the reliability of the unit, the voltage range, the advance curve, the strong spark, and I like the lack of gimmicks. I can place the choke on a switch channel if I like to keep clean plane lines.
I miss the safety stop function though. Been bitten twice, because I play with the engines a lot, and my mind wanders to the next things to do when I am busy, forgetting the live ignition. So far I have been lucky.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
tkg

Absentmindedly flipping a large gasser will earn you a new nickname[:@]
Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
pe reivers

I hope not!
Fact is, that the full retard MVVS ignitions had spoilt me and lulled me to sleep. The magnetos I had do not fire when slowly turned. I'm wide awake again now.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tkg

Lefty?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Jezmo

I am one who would rather have the simpler ignitions like the C-H and CH-RCexcl. I kill my engines by turning the switch off and it's been so long since I had a dead stick on a gasser (One way of accidentally leaving the switch on) I truly don't remember it. I am running a 2500 mah pack that doesn't need charging for at least three weeks of flying. (I have gone for an entire month of flying on Saturday's before charging and it was still running good at that point) I get a laugh out of the guys at our field running G20EI's because they have to charge after every couple of flights. Bottom line, it's C-H all the way for me and to top it all off they are super good folks to deal with.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: blw

Lefty?
You're not speaking from experience are you?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
fastplane

I have heard that the G20ei uses up the battery fast but why? It seems that similar sized gas engines with different ei ignitions don't run the batteries down as fast.
Is there a purpose the G20ei does this?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
tkg

Lefty?
Na more like OL' Three finger
Old 03-11-2008, 01:28 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Lefty?

---------------

Stumpy.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Hill202

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Lefty?

---------------

Stumpy.

Ed Cregger
Hook
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
pe reivers

ORIGINAL: Hill202

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

Lefty?

---------------

Stumpy.

Ed Cregger
Hook
HeHe... Not ME!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version