Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Protecting against water...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Alex-C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting against water...

Well yea, as the title says I need a good way to protect against water leaking into the Evader i'm getting for Christmas. I live in Maine so there is snow on the ground for a good 4-5 months a year. I have seen videos of cars going through puddles/small creeks etc. I am wondering what could/should I use to waterproof my car? Where can I buy the above mentioned things? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:39 PM
aliens8mycow

Default RE: Protecting against water...

All you need are a couple of balloons, a couple of wire ties, and some vaseline. If you're serious, you can get an mtroniks speed control later on - those are waterproof right out of the box - when you decide to upgrade anyway, that could be a good choice for you.

For now, you'll need to put the esc and the receiver in a balloon - cut the little ring off where you blow it up first. Let all the wires come through the neck of the balloon, and put some vaseline in the neck. Zip tie the neck shut, and either stick the whole deal back in place with servo tape, velcro it on, or wire tie to the shock tower, etc. Hook it back up, and you're ready to go!

You won't need to worry about the motor or battery connectors, and the steering servo is personal preference. You can balloon that too, you just need to add a little hole for the shaft to come through and vaseline that too. More than likely it'll take several years for the servo to see any damage from water corrosion, and you'll probably break it or replace it by then anyway.

That's all there is to it! Cheap and easy!

Once your done running, it's a really good idea to spray the motor out with some motor cleaner, and oil the bearings at each end. Oil those wheel bearings and hinge pins too!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Alex-C

Thank you man.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:18 PM
aliens8mycow

No biggie - hopefully this helps. You can't really make it any more complicated that it is. There are a couple of companies that make rubber cases that fit over your receiver, but they're just a little thicker rubber than a balloon and you still have to put some vaseline around the wiring and tie it shut. Might as well save 5 or 6 bucks and get it done easy!

If you plan to run in the snow and water a lot, I would definitey plan on getting an mtronik esc. Keeping the stock esc in a balloon will cause it to get hotter than usual since it can't breath. It won't hurt the esc (it'll shut down if it gets too hot), but it might melt the balloon!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Alex-C

How much are the mtronik esc's? Could you possibly link me to one?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:42 PM
RCnewguy

Waterproofing your evader is that easy aliens8mycow? I always thought it was harder than that. What kind of oil do you put on the hinge pins and bearings? How wet can you get ur truck if everything ballooned? I am guessing not submerging or anything ridiculous, but if you were to run in snow/slush would it be bad for the truck? Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 07:10 PM
aliens8mycow

I don't think it's as big a deal as most people might think, as long as you're 1/2 way reasonable about it. Keeping bearings/hinge pins, etc. lubed well is always key, as well as the motor bearings. I use Remington Gun Oil on everything - you can get it at any sporting goods store or even K-Mart or Wal-Mart for about $2.00.

People think that getting your motor wet is bad, but a lot of folks (myself included) break them in underwater! Water on the brushes will cause them to wear a bit quicker, but that's just the price of good old fashioned fun!

Here's a link to the mtroniks esc's that stormer hobbies has:

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...pn=MTR&man=MTR
Old 12-12-2004, 08:51 PM
**MilkMachine**

wow, i never newthey made those types of ESCs, if i only knew that they made those when i was into electric!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:10 AM
ITHURTZ
Banned

nitro is easier in water or snow
Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Nutoris

Hello i just got a rc10 gt plus (team associated)

just got 3 days ago what do i do to water prf- it

and i am very very new to gas powerd cars all my others was radio shack and 7 years ago i got my first hobbie car ele, but was really fast but i know nothing about gas cars so go slow lol
Old 02-02-2005, 03:20 AM
ITHURTZ
Banned

To water proof. Wrap all your electronics. Some say cover y our servos, I have yet to have any probs on my 2 servo's.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:30 AM
gerwen

Definitiely ballon all the electronics, including your servos. I had a steering servo go very glitchy when it got wet. You don't want a runaway from water in your throttle servo.
When you come inside from running in the snow, take your wheels off set them down so the snow can run off them when it melts. If you get water in the vent holes, it's a real pain to get it out and it will unbalance your wheel.

Dry everything else off pretty well too, or it will rust.