Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

heres a response from the park about a track

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

heres a response from the park about a track

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 06:40 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heres a response from the park about a track

i emailed anyoen i can find on the web who could tell me information about getting a track built here in staten island. this is the first response.

"Dear Mr.____, Commissioner Benepe has asked me to respond to your inquiry concerning off track radio controlled cars. Parks & Recreation tries to accommodate new and growing athletic and recreational activities when possible. I've asked Staten Island Borough Commissioner Thomas Paulo to see if there is an appropriate park space available for your pastime. Miller Field, which you mentioned, is a Federal park and not managed by Parks & Recreation. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Liam Kavanagh
Deputy Commissioner of Operations"

i hope us drivers here in NYC will soon have a place to drive.Ill keep you guys updated.
if you can think of anythign else i can do to get a track built lemme know cause bashing is fun, but racing is funner
Old 05-24-2003, 06:43 PM
outluded

so i guess thats a no on miller field?

maybe youll have better luck with gateway or wolfspond park.

and BTW where you at aggressives on friday?
Old 05-24-2003, 11:07 PM
packfan88

yeah im the tattooed wonder where you there while i was there?

they said no to miller field cause they arent allowed to say yes. that doesnt mean it could never happen there, i would just have to contact the Federal parks part.

i suggested gateway to the dude. they a plane field so its only right that we get a track too.
Old 05-25-2003, 01:38 PM
outluded

i dunno, but im 17 and i got an rc10gt....
Old 05-28-2003, 05:44 AM
packfan88

man i got a call from the actual parks dept commish today. holy crap i was amazed.

he said something liek" im calling in response to your many emails about a r/c track ...."

rofl rofl rofl
spam does work

he did say much just some basic questions, but he said HE was going to call the borough president and i should call him back on friday ...lol

ill keep you all updated.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:59 PM
bugged
My Feedback: (1)

if your in the LI NY area there is a nice Big Off road INDOOR Dirt track in farming dale LI near 110. go to there website HTTP://www.raceway.com for some pics.

or call them at (516) 845-7223
I used to race there from late '96-'98.
I was the 9 year old kid that averaged 2nd and 3rd place and drove a green Losi XX and later on a crappy looking red and blue one.

There's also an indoor carpet track but the people there are too rude and insulting for me to give you the Tracks phone number. (they told me my car was a peice of junk and that it had "sharp edges", I was like....."what??")

theres another hobby store, "willis hobby" that has a much smaller carpet track in there basement.
I dont know there phone number or website though.

you could always just go into the woods (NOT a state park!) and make your own track without telling anyone, if the state comes by and trashes it, rebuild it someplace else. make sure you make it as big as possible becuase if any kids find it they'll think its a Bike track. (I know from experience........)
to make the lanes you can use dead trees, rope, old fire hose, plastic drain pipe (my favorite) or you could just dig the lanes out thus you'll have TONS of extra dirt to make all kind of elevations and stuff.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 05:29 PM
outluded

that track looks pretty cool, how far away is it from SI?

and isnt there a track at the end of page avenue or something? i couldnt find it.

there is also a bike track a kid i know built. not really a track just a series of jumps. its in the wooded section near brighton street.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:14 PM
packfan88

bugged thanks for the info, but farmingdale is over an hour from staten island. to get there id have to go through brooklyn and queens, which are both always loaded with traffic.

hey the page avenue place isnt really a track its just an area to drive.
if i wanted just a place to drive i can stick to miller field, but that gets boring to me. i want competion.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:46 AM
outluded

ditto, going on grass or parking lots aint fun anymore, a track would be utopia. maybe we should just find a part of woods and do it ourselves. theres alot of those places out in totenville
Old 05-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

YOU gUYS ARE LUCKY.....
...To be able to find a part in the woods to make a track. Here in Omaha Nebraska you got to worry about going to someones corn field and getting run off the land.

Good Luck on that track, sucks to be in the city.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:20 AM
packfan88

yeah the odds on us being able to keep a track in the woods (woods are rare anyway) would be very slim.

if we built one, i give it 5 uses before we get run out of there by the property owner. they would be so scared of being sued or us damaging their dirt.

im going to call the commish again friday and see if he spoke with the borough president. if nothing else comes of this i can always go the fedral route with miller field.
liek he told me they have no control over it, so its a second option if Gateway is denied or any of the other parks here in staten island.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:04 PM
bugged

your welcome guys.
It is a bit of a drive but its an awesome track.
prob is me and my dad used to get out of there around 1-2 AM!!! (Friday night racing)
so if you live in SI you might want to stay at a hotel.
the next day you could run some more then drive back, but thats of course a bit much just to run an R/C car...
make sure you stock up on some spare parts if your cars not a Losi or associated as those are the only parts the Hobby store upfront sells.

they race on Sundays and kick everyone out at 5PM so that would be better if you have a long drive.
sundays are about 5-8 cars on the track racing at once, fridays can be as much as 15! (although I haven't been there on a friday since 1998...)

my losi has long since been run into the ground but I've been playing around with a used Blitzer beetle and I think the handling is far better...but the blitzer is discontinued so its not too good for racing

good luck with the tracks guys! (btw way out at the far end of Long island is tons of woods, plenty of room for an R/C track, and no one around to bother you guys, as long as you dont run Gas)
Old 05-30-2003, 08:16 PM
packfan88

" (btw way out at the far end of Long island is tons of woods, plenty of room for an R/C track, and no one around to bother you guys, as long as you dont run Gas)"

yeah like i might spend $300 on an electric car ...nitro all the way.

i dont want to just build something in the woods, cause it will get used as a BMX track by local idiots, and then eventually we will get kicked off the property.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:53 PM
bugged

if you'd made the track with tight turns the BMX dudez couldn't use it, I know from expericence
I had a track in the backyard of where I used to live (I would have invited you guys if I still lived there) and these kids came in the yard with their bikes thinking the track was for bikes (despite the sign I made that said "LI BAJA RC raceway" and other RC related signs on the fences.....), it was hilaroius, they kept crashing into each other, the fences, falling over the drain pipe lane dividers (which came from the R/C raceway track in the link). I finally came out and they were "hey this track is too small!" I was like "thats becuase its for R/C cars you idiots!" they were like "uh-ho........"

maybe if you made a Bike track next to the R/C track they might leave it alone.....
if there was some way to make the Gas cars quiter (ruins the fun though) you guys wouldn't be bothered as much since people think the car is a chain saw cutting down all the trees, LOL