Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie and Need Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
cubsrock08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie and Need Suggestions

I am a newbie to this site and to hobby RC cars. I need help choosing a truck.
Some things that I would like the truck to include:

-<u>UNDER $300</u>
-4WD
-Can be upgraded to brushless later on
-Can handle rocks but can also exceed 25mph

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have been doing a lot of research, but I think I might have better luck asking experienced RC racers. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
Dan<br type="_moz" />
Old 06-06-2010, 07:28 PM
rcslsafut

Default RE: Newbie and Need Suggestions

mini revo or mini lst are some that come to mind for that price range
you may be able to buy an off brand for that kind of money.
i would stay with the brands like traxxas ,associated, losi, ofna ,axial and hpi
if your looking for more like a crawler ,you might check out the rock racer from
axail, all the brands i mentioned are usually readily available and easy to find parts
for. there will be poeple that will say you CAN get parts for off brands but from what
i have read they come on a boat from asia with a one armed rower at the helm (haha)
thats the general consenceous!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:43 PM
cubsrock08

I was looking at the Rock Racer from Axial, but what kind of brushless engine/esc could I get that would give me enough stability, but also a lot of power for racing? I want to be able to go around 30 mph. Is this possible with a crawler?
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock Crawlers are versatile and fun but they are not fast, their power is in the form of torque for climbing.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
cubsrock08

I am starting to think that maybe a crawler is not for me... I am thinking that either a stadium truck or monster truck would be best... What would you recommend as far as these? I would probably be ordering from Stormer Hobbies, since they seem to have pretty good prices.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
rcslsafut

a main .com /tower hobbies.com has good prices too
short course trucks can be very fun but they have low clearance ,but some have 4wd .
MOST stadium trucks are 2wd , rustler, t4, xxxt, and firestorm are a few to look into . once again they have lower clearance and 2wd!
there are a few like the wheelie king, and the stampede, and the losi high roller ,that have more clearance and dont cost a lot (as r/c's go)
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcslsafut

a main .com /tower hobbies.com has good prices too
short course trucks can be very fun but they have low clearance ,but some have 4wd .
MOST stadium trucks are 2wd , rustler, t4, xxxt, and firestorm are a few to look into . once again they have lower clearance and 2wd!
there are a few like the wheelie king, and the stampede, and the losi high roller ,that have more clearance and dont cost a lot (as r/c's go)
I've heard bad things about the high rollers.

The Stampede is a extremely robust truck though. They are extremely hard to break, if you do parts are pretty cheap, RPM has alot of aftermarket support for it, and its relatively simple to work on.