Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Used Carden 35% Extra 300s Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Used Carden 35% Extra 300s Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 07:42 PM
MCR-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Carden 35% Extra 300s Questions

I purchased a used 35% Extra off Ebay. No engine, No Radio. Just the airframe.

Here is as much background of the plane that I have. I'm told that I am now the 4th owner of this plane. I'm told it was originally owned by Frank Noll who had a 3w80 Twin in it. My guess is it has had a lot of 3D flying in it's life time. It does have the 3D mods on it. The last owner had a BME100 in it. The photos of the plane show it to be in good shape. I have not seen this plane in person yet, I'm picking it up this weekend.

My question is this. What areas should I pay special attention to as far as airframe wear? Are there any problem areas known to these kits that I might need to know about?

I will probably be putting a ZDZ80 Single on it initially. I already have one and my flying skills probably couldn't take advantage of the additional power of a 100 twin at this point anyway.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
Marty Ridner
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:41 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I've seen some old beaters with a lot of miles and big engines and they just keep on truckin'. I wish I could tell you from experience how well they wear but neither of mine lived long enuff to wear (dumb-thumbs learning 3D). I can tell you this though, as soon as I finish the 540 I'm working on, a 3rd 35% Carden will be in my life. They may not be quite as light and refined as the newer renditions but tough and just a blast to fly. You'll love it. The 80 will fly it nicely but the 100 makes it a double blast.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:49 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look carefully at the hinges, all of them, especially the rudder...
Grab, hold, pull and move all surfaces. Assemble the model. Check the wing/stab tube fit. Are they tight is the socket loose?

Have fun
Old 02-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend that you look at the engine box and controls. I have one that was RTF and have been putting considerable time and money into the plane to make sure that it is OK. My engine box has been butchered but the re-enforcement that was done when it was new is still intact. I found that my rudder has been repaired. Other than that, I have not been able to see anything out of the norm.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:28 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

These guys have nailed it..........

Wing/stab tubes good fit
HINGES
Motor box

And I will add MAIN GEAR MOUNTING PLATE....see if there has been any repair and make sure it was a quality job

If it came RTF, check all the servos for wear and linkage set up....you may even want to send the RX in for a "CHECK UP"